Treatment plant top 3

Cpd

I know there are quite a few on here who have had treatment plants installed and I am looking to recommend one for a neighbour, I am really wanting to know how often people have had them emptied in real life - not what the packet tells you. I’m only interested in ones that have not provided problems. Some people come to mind @ProDave @Stones but there must be others. Would be good to get a top 3 so that I can pass the info on. Thanks   

5 minutes ago, Stones said:

I had ours emptied after 18 months (plant serving family of four).

Tanker driver whose judgement I think has some weight, suggested emptying every two years, so that's what I've settled on.

Is that classed as for 6?

14 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I know there are quite a few on here who have had treatment plants installed and I am looking to recommend one for a neighbour, I am really wanting to know how often people have had them emptied in real life - not what the packet tells you. I’m only interested in ones that have not provided problems. Some people come to mind @ProDave @Stones but there must be others. Would be good to get a top 3 so that I can pass the info on. Thanks   

This table has come up before on BH/

https://www.wte-ltd.co.uk/choose_wastewater_treatment_plant.html

2 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Would a variable be how well you treat your tank? 

Not just the servicing but whether you look after the bacteria?

I expect so as it’s the same for a septic tank, treat it well and it can be years between emptying...... 

• Like 1

Ours is the Conder. The plant is sized for 6 people (BR says 5 for the number of bedrooms so 6 was the closest) but only used by 3.

It has been in use for 2 1/6 years and not emptied yet. It was on my "to do" list but I missed my window * so I plan now to get it done in the spring.

*Our plot has a seasonally high water table. I prefer to get the tank emptied in a period or low water so as not to tempt fate and "test" how well it is concreted in, and it turned wet before I got around to it this year.

We have a BioPure (looks near-identical to @ProDave's Condor).  The recommended service interval is two to three years, depending on how heavily loaded it is.

When looking around I quickly decided to ignore all the units with mechanical moving parts in the tank, as they looked like a nightmare to service or repair.  The air blower units all seem similar, and the conical shaped ones, with an integral clarification tank, seem simpler than any of the others.

I think it's worth locating the air  pump away from the unit, both so it can be put in a sound proof enclosure (in a very quiet area the hum is noticeable).  It also makes servicing the pump simpler and easier if it's in an easy to access remote box.  I mounted ours in a stone box, with an insulated, hinged lid, and just ran the air pipe down to the unit.  This also makes servicing the unit easier, as the pump doesn't need to be disconnected and lifted out before the treatment plant lid can be removed.

Ours I installed myself with no previous experience 

Really easy to install

There are two of us in a five bed three bath So had to have a 8 pop

The company MD told me check it after 3 years If the water is free of debris leave it another year and check She thought five or six would be about right 

I told her the tank guy who emptied the neighbours recommended each year 

She laughed and said I wonder why he would say that

I new so little about the treatment plants I nearly bought some of the bacteria tabs off eBay 

Again she said leave a poo a week and there will be plenty of bacteria 

She did say that she had heard of people hanging a dead chicken in there 

Not sure about that 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Sorry Bio v 

1-7 pop 

Looking at the leaflet 

3-5 years emptying 

96% efficient  

Just a point to make with the installation 

All the companies I spoke to would make the tank to order Inlet and outlet at what ever height I needed

I was having difficulty gauging accurately where the inlet outlet needed to be As I had to fit a tank to our neighbours existing drains 

So decided to do both before the foundations went in 

Neighbours easy ours best guess 

The local tank company said keep it low and they would fabricate a neck extension at a later date 

£100 

Adding a 220 mil neck extension 18 months later made life so much easier 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cpd said:

I know there are quite a few on here who have had treatment plants installed and I am looking to recommend one for a neighbour, I am really wanting to know how often people have had them emptied in real life - not what the packet tells you. I’m only interested in ones that have not provided problems.

We have a self installed WPL Diamond DMS2 which supposedly has four year emptying. After two and a half years the diaphragm in the Secoh air pump split due to the back pressure from trying to pump through the sludge so we had it emptied. We decided it would probably last two years but we actually have it emptied once a year which is done in the summer. This is for two adults occupying 24/7. Edit: I notice their website now says up to three years for emptying.

Edited by PeterStarck

8 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

We have a self installed WPL Diamond DMS2 which supposedly has four year emptying. After two and a half years the diaphragm in the Secoh air pump split due to the back pressure from trying to pump through the sludge so we had it emptied. We decided it would probably last two years but we actually have it emptied once a year which is done in the summer. This is for two adults occupying 24/7. Edit: I notice their website now says up to three years for emptying.

good info  

• Like 1

I installed a Vortex myself, built for 6 but only 2 of us, been In use less than a year, will look next summer to see how it’s doing. With regard “looking after” your plant I guess that means being careful with what you put in it (bleach etc).

25 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

What is the air diffuser like? Is it just a perforated tube?

Our Solido Smart has a double-wall diffuser, the outer is a perforated silicone material which balloons out slightly when pressure is applied, allegedly making it self-cleaning...

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

What is the air diffuser like? Is it just a perforated tube?

TBH I can't remember exactly. I installed it nine years ago and I think it's quite basic, just a metal tube that the air comes out at the bottom.

20 hours ago, nod said:

Sorry Bio v 

1-7 pop 

Looking at the leaflet 

3-5 years emptying 

96% efficient  

sorry to be a bore @nod but could you give me a but more detail on the make / model as when I type in bio v I don’t get far on googol......thanks