Cable trays

These seem rather expensive for what they are . But using say ducting without the ‘lid’ seems equally not particularly cheap .

Whilst I could use trays in the loft of my timber frame what do I use to ‘hang’ underneath from beam and block ? 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

These seem rather expensive for what they are . But using say ducting without the ‘lid’ seems equally not particularly cheap .

Whilst I could use trays in the loft of my timber frame what do I use to ‘hang’ underneath from beam and block ? 

Banding. All round band ( plastic coated ) is what we use, or you can run cables through open web pozi-joists where the two metal webs meet at the bottom. That’s classed as safe, as in the fire brigades interpretation, as in the cables can’t fall down and entangle one of our finest in the event of a fire. 

17 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

please. 

Yes my badness . I’ll blame the lack of manners on my man flu .

thank you oh humble one ; much appreciated. May your armpits be infested with the fleas from a thousand camels ( Jeff Minter I think ) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Because you didn’t say please....

it’s a tool station link ✌️ 
Bingo

Thank you !

Hmm - I suppose it could work . But I’m going to add cable as I go - don’t really want them sagging .

Could just use slim lengths of osb as trays with timber either side to stop cables falling out . If that’s satisfactory m’lord ?!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Thank you !

Hmm - I suppose it could work . But I’m going to add cable as I go - don’t really want them sagging .

Could just use slim lengths of osb as trays with timber either side to stop cables falling out . If that’s satisfactory m’lord ?!

nope as it’s flammable so the cables would drop in the event of a fire. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Tray is WAY OTT in a domestic situation, and still does not negate banding. 

Indeed, and to be honest tray is way OTT in many commercial applications to be honest, the number of times we see tray spec'ed and indeed installed for a single piece of SWA to be fixed to it. You cannot even claim it is for expansion as most of the times the situation has no clear scope for future expansion.

I was involved in VEing a project back in my early days for a major project, saved them 1.2million by sizing the cable tray correctly.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

If you're carrying an oxygen cylinder while fighting a fire a bit of cat 5 is probably the least of your worries.

Not when it’s wrapped around your regulator and you can’t reach it. And you’re in a burning building. 
That’s why the fire brigade brought about this legislation ;) 

41 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok ; so what would an electrician recommend for running mains cable in the loft space of a timber frame ?

Just clipped direct, maybe add a batten or board for the wiring runs if need be.  Easy to do, keeps cables up off insulation, makes inspection easy, etc.  Need to use 18th Ed compliant clips now,  but that's no big hassle.  TBH, despite the fact that they are more expensive, I prefer the metal clips.   I recently tidied up some wiring using the Schneider metal clips and they seemed more robust.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Because you didn’t say please....

it’s a tool station link ✌️ 
Bingo

Back to this as it seems simplest. So I just lie my cat5 cables across rafters or whatever then strap some bands at discreet distances apart ; screwed to the timbers; yeah?

18 hours ago, pocster said:

Thank you !

just use some big chunky cable ties as your temp fixing. Once you’ve run all your cables use the band as a final fix. Simples. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Triassic said:

How about using recycled guttering to hold the cables?

As long as it's fire resistant.  Since the 18th, cables need to be secured so they cannot droop down in the event of a fire, as a consequence of the cable supports melting.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

As long as it's fire resistant.  Since the 18th, cables need to be secured so they cannot droop down in the event of a fire, as a consequence of the cable supports melting.

Yeah so I am correct . I just use the metal straps to fix cables to the timber ? 
@Nickfromwales says there’s more to it than that though .