Heating hot water

Triassic

Sorry, I should have said, no gas, only electricity and mains water, the pressure is ok. I had in mind something electric and small, as the cabin is small, well insulated and space is limited.

Edited by Triassic

@JSHarris fitted a nice modulating inline instant. Check out part ( 41 iirc ) of his blog and you can see it mounted on the wall. Similar in size to a large electric shower. 

Why have you not fitted an electric shower out of curiosity? Then you could have got away with a small instant under the kitchen sink with a tee off for the wash basin. 

On 16/10/2016 at 11:21, Nickfromwales said:

Why have you not fitted an electric shower out of curiosity? Then you could have got away with a small instant under the kitchen sink with a tee off for the wash basin. 

Is an [electric shower + small Instant water heater] a better way to go than a single larger instant water heater that will service all 3 outlets?

eg Stiebel Eltron DNM3 3.5kW for £125 ex VAT + e-shower

vs.

Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 12kW for £180 ex vat  + thermo shower fitting

Better = cost efficient, energy efficient, plumbing efficient.

We have put an electric shower 9.5kw and a 10lt water heater in the shepherds hut i built. We had to but a 63amp supply fed via 16mm armoured cable.

i wish i had put a 20-30lt water heater in instead as it would have meant a smaller supply, and unless you shower for hours a tank of 30lts of water at 60deg goes a long way.

The instants do draw silly amounts of electric. Storing water encounters the losses associated with doing so. Double edge sword tbh.

@ProDave Those instants do seem to give good flow rates, and I thought they were much more expensive than that so deffo a contender where electric supply allows. 

13a supply will do 300 + litres uvc ;)

Interesting topic. My wee house will have no boiler or central heating etc, so instant electric is the way to go, I think.

Question is just whether to fit a single Stiebel Eltron and tee everything off that, or to fit an elextric shower and separate units for the basin and kitchen sink. Veering towards the first option as it will be cheaper and probably simpler, but will it constrain me to a max water temp of 38deg, which is a bit low for the kitchen sink?

12 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Interesting topic. My wee house will have no boiler or central heating etc, so instant electric is the way to go, I think.

Question is just whether to fit a single Stiebel Eltron and tee everything off that, or to fit an elextric shower and separate units for the basin and kitchen sink. Veering towards the first option as it will be cheaper and probably simpler, but will it constrain me to a max water temp of 38deg, which is a bit low for the kitchen sink?

As I just posted on the Sunamp thread. We fitted one of these in our little flat. 

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/zip-aquapoint-iii-unvented-80l-water-heater--multiple-outlet-/?gclid=CO6sr4bj4s8CFRdmGwodpQ0G5A

We've found it to be really good and it means we had no restrictions on taps etc and a simple shower mixer. 

Ill be honest and say I have no idea what the standing loses of the unit is so can't really comment on its efficiency in that regard. 

I

16 minutes ago, Crofter said:

IRC from the info Jeremy provided, it can quite happily produce higher than 38C, it's more a question of what the flow rate would be. You also need to bear in mind you would need to produce hotter water for a thermostatic shower valve to work.