Negotiating a discount - methods.

MarkH

We've just finalised our window order with Velfac. We managed to secure a substantial discount from the original quote mainly by procrastinating for weeks and occasionally namedropping other manufacturers. The last straw seemed to be when we mentioned we were going to the permenant exhibition at Swindon to check out Internorm. I don't know whether what we got knocked off the total is better than usual - probably not - but we're pleased as both of us are usually rubbish at negotiating. 

• Like 1

We found it tricky too. The trouble is suppliers seem to judge how clueless you are and apply a multiplier to their normal pricing based on that! So its easy to get ripped off when you aren't an expert.

A few tactics :

1. Tell the supplier you are getting quotes from several companies and they should give their best and final quote as there will be no negotiation. And then ask for another 10% off :).

2. Take along a friendly expert so they know they wont get away with any nonsense.

3. Where feasible - consider avoiding the whole fixed price quote model - and instead you buy materials and hire tradespeople on daily rates. ie you take any risks rather than asking them to price in the risk. This model isn't for everyone - but we found it more sucessful and less antagonistic than the fixed price quote model.

- reddal

I wish we'd tried to barter on price for windows, in the light of some of the prices people have been quoted recently.  Internorm quoted us a ludicrous price, somewhere North of £23k including cills and fitting, against around £8.5k for very similar windows from Munster.  I've since heard that people have had far better prices from Internorm that we were quoted, so perhaps, now there's a bit more competition in the market they are all realising that they have to be more realistic about pricing.

The two things about Internorm are:

- you buy from a reseller/installer rather than Internorm directly.  I've heard about big price differences between suppliers for the same windows.

- competition in the premium window market has absolutely ramped up markedly in the last couple of years, as you suggest.

The whole window pricing thing seems to be a lottery.  As Jeremy, our Internorm quote was way more than the others at over £20K, then there were a batch around 12-15K, but Rationel were by far the cheapest here and by the time the negotiating was done it was just over £8K I'm pleased with that outcome as they were the second best in terms of U values, only marginally worse than Internorm, yet the cheapest.

But then others find Rationel to be expensive and at least one reported Internorm as being their cheapest quote so it makes no sense at all.

P.S my Rationel windows came via an agent and that was supply only for my builder to fit.

• Like 1

The only company that haven't bothered to discount were Gaulhofer/Ecowin (and they started way higher than everyone else by around 20%). Internorm and Norrsken have been the best to deal with, competitive on pricing and good products - not sure how I'll decide between them tbh

I ask everyone, even the guy i'm ordering stones/sand from.

And they aren't really all that expensive.  I managed a great discount on my blocks, which id say has saved me over 1000.

I bluff if needs be.

Ring a supplier i want to use and tell them i have a price from another supplier and see what happens.

They either match it or they don't

At least you have given it a go

I had fun with some timber merchants the other day. Managed to persuade one company (who have forklift offloading so for my site quite an advantage over the HIABs of the other guys) to come down to within £10 of their competitors. Then agreed to go with them and reminded them that I had several hundred pounds in credit with them. Thought it best to leave that wee nugget of information out until after the haggling was done :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I love negotiating, it's my favourite hobby! If I could make a business out of doing other people's negotiating for them - buying cars and the like, I'd be delighted. 

As far as the build has gone, I think it really helps to know your stuff (as much as you can anyway) and drop in technical bits and pieces where you can. I think it warned some of the salesmen that I wasn't about to be taken in with any old nonsense. I also always told an anecdote about another salesman that made assumptions about my level of knowledge and lost a lot of business through it. Bribery always helps too, of course :) As does charm and banter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, divorcingjack said:

I love negotiating, it's my favourite hobby! If I could make a business out of doing other people's negotiating for them - buying cars and the like, I'd be delighted. 

You are my father in law and I claim my £5.  

I hate negotiating more than just about anything else in the world.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, divorcingjack said:

As far as the build has gone, I think it really helps to know your stuff (as much as you can anyway) and drop in technical bits and pieces where you can. I think it warned some of the salesmen that I wasn't about to be taken in with any old nonsense. I also always told an anecdote about another salesman that made assumptions about my level of knowledge and lost a lot of business through it. Bribery always helps too, of course :) As does charm and banter. 

I wouldn't say it's my favourite hobby, but I do like getting a good deal.  The best by far was our windows, taking my time using the 'methodology' as set out above saw me save a fairly tidy amount.  Life would however be a lot easier if you didn't have to waste time negotiating and everyone just gave their best price from the word go.

I know, I know.

There is a kitchen retailer up here who gives one price and one price only - her best price. Refreshing in many ways and she has built a very successful business on the back of that model.  Interestingly, a regional builders merchant is building a new depot here. From what I hear they operate the same kind of pricing.