Remedial Structural Work.

daiking

@bassanclan Not yet, there is nothing obvious from above, the bolted connection is fine and beneath the plastered ceiling is fine. I'll have a look this weekends. And where those wall meet in the corner they are not keyed in to each other. so they could move independently it looks like.

This evening I have been trying to get though the ceiling under the joist supported wall. The pendulum is swinging back to taking the wall out as it is not sat on that steel beam. Back to this photo, 

image4_1.jpg

there is a gap between the joist and the flange

Dare I chance fate by saying it but a "competent" builder came and had a look and said that bit under the window will need rebuilding and potentially the outer leaf will be cracked too.

Waiting for a price on fixing it.  

On 24 October 2016 at 19:36, Tennentslager said:

Good luck Mr. Fingers crossed he's a good un

I would not start hanging up the bunting yet. 

The quote is £1500 to fix the joists by mounting a plate in the beam web, rebuilding the small section of cracked wall under the window and replastering the 4 walls of the bedroom and making good the damage to the ceiling below. Any issues with the external wall which cannot be seen at the mo because of the new roof structure outside would be more. 

Not scandalous but not something easily to hand at the minute

1 hour ago, daiking said:

See that its caused by the clown of a builder, I'd assumed my insurance would not entertain a claim.

This is a VERY broad brush statement but..........

If you have suffered a loss as a result of a third party and you are unable to claim from that third party then you should expect your insurer to accept that claim (provided the loss is within the terms of your policy).

Expect to be able to demonstrate that you have tried to get redress from the third party.

Give your insurer a call. Also be prepared to go past the FNOL team if you get a "computer says no" response.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

This is a VERY broad brush statement but..........

If you have suffered a loss as a result of a third party and you are unable to claim from that third party then you should expect your insurer to accept that claim (provided the loss is within the terms of your policy).

Expect to be able to demonstrate that you have tried to get redress from the third party.

Give your insurer a call. Also be prepared to go past the FNOL team if you get a "computer says no" response.

I don't know. Not seen or heard anything since January. Sent a recorded letter but it got returned. Gave it up as a lost cause. We had discussed the issue before his 'departure' but there has been no opportunity to make good not that I would be satisfied with his work in doing it. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere with an insurance company.

now my missus is pushing to get it done, despite not having the money so I'm wasting my breath.

This is a quote from Axa's buildings cover (which came up first in a Google search):

"Accidental Damage does not cover loss or damage caused ... by or arising from faulty workmanship, defective design or use of defective materials"
Many years ago I used to be an insurance broker & I'd expect most, if not, all policies to have the same type of exclusion.
Under the same policy there might be cover under the Family Legal Protection section, if purchased, but the incident giving rise to a claim has to occur during the term of the policy.

• 2 weeks later...

Off to an inauspicious start as the builder was/is an hour late so I've had to go to work without seeing him/them.Lets see the mess that awaits me later.

Just trying to see if there's any 'details' I've missed in previous posts. The bolted beam connection was not exactly bolted tightly but the good news from looking through the ceiling from underneath is that there seems to be plenty of room between the steel beams to get at the back of the web to bolt on a wooden plate to hang the joists off properly

Tidier than usual aftermath too. Fair play, a lot of muck was taken from the ceiling cavity

Just need to take out some redundant piping and route a smoke alarm cable tonight although not happy with some wiring I've seen.

Edited by daiking

6 hours ago, daiking said:

I would post pics but photo bucket is being a PITA. Wiring is not work being done at the moment but has been done under my ownership but I couldn't tell you the culprit. 

You can post pictures direct from your device you know. Just "Click to choose files" below where you're typing and navigate to where they're stored locally. I think there is a limit to how many you can do like this. 

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

You can post pictures direct from your device you know. Just "Click to choose files" below where you're typing and navigate to where they're stored locally. I think there is a limit to how many you can do like this. 

They're too big so need resizing. They don't hang about. Joiners in today to fix the joists and replace the floor, plasterers in tomorrow to finish. 

AND they're using hardwall not boards. 

You can download any number of free photo editing programs to re size them. But I thought the forum software re sized them when you uploaded them?

you don't have much time to get an opinion and possibly get it fixed if the floor goes back down today. Can you delay the re laying of the floor.  I am not sure what you mean by "hardwall"? do you mean big chipboard floor panels rather than boards? If so almost impossible to lift to get to the wiring later on.

4 minutes ago, daiking said:

Lol,

amd that loose end is blue and brown so it's been put in recently but no idea what it's doing.

image.jpeg

That lot needs to be put in a junction box. And as it will not be accessible, it has to be a maintenance free type of junction box such as a wago box etc.

That's a lighting junction, would previously have been done inside a ceiling rose. No doubt the light fitting below that hole in the ceiling was changed and there is not room inside it for the junctions.

Don't let the floor go down until that is sorted, or if they must, make sure they leave a removable trap so it can be sorted later.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That lot needs to be put in a junction box. And as it will not be accessible, it has to be a maintenance free type of junction box such as a wago box etc.

Yes it does but no it won't. We'll do it via the ceiling at a later date.

hardwall = wet plaster, not dabbed plaster boards 

Edited by daiking