Tiled skirting/upstands

daiking

• 1 month later...
On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 08:19, daiking said:

I don't know what that is and am Unlikely to be able to do it.

probably going to hit this today

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb597tcb-650w-tile-saw-240v/14609?cm_sp=homepage-_-promo-_-dotd14609

will allow me to work methodically without rushing rather than hiring a clinker.

on the other queries, just  squirt of foam to fill gaps to stop spiders and big draughts etc?

I'm been having a go with this saw on some tile off-cuts. Perfect it ain't. Cut edges look like they've been nibbled by a rat but nominally they're straight cuts.

I could try a proper blade but you won't notice the effect at floor level and I've been seeing the same cutting marks when looking at some tiles in a commercial environment.

The missus is also saying she would now like some sort of capping on the top edge to so that's something else to think about (and pay for). Whatever it is, its going to be white plastic not Alu/stainless.

16 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A scribe and snap cutter would be far better tbh. 

Can you hire one for a day / weekend and just do all cuts in one go, so you have the raw material cut to size then you only need to cut to length ( after you've returned it ). ?

That relies on getting a decent cutter to hire that isn't going to give wonky cuts :D

Experience tells me that is very unlikely to get a decent bit of kit on hire either. Now Ive made a tentative start, I'm just going to crash through them and stick them to the f*****g wall.

Edited by daiking

12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A square plastic trim will have a slight lip after the flat so should help hide the top edge a bit. ;) 

Remember to keep the adhesive low down so you can fit the trim after. 

Something like this from what I've seen. http://www.trimtraders.co.uk/straight-edge-tile-trims/pvc-straight-edge-tile-trims/genesis-pvc-straight-edge-trim.html 12mm for a 9mm tile is just over £1/m

I'll try using the saw even slower an a proper blade could be an option. The tiles are porcelain, solid colour all the way through so you really don't notice the chipped edge.

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Can't convince my missus NOT to have white PVC tile trim! 

I'll tell you what, I'll make such a bad job of it, I'll send you the photos to show your missus and she's bound to change her mind.

7 minutes ago, daiking said:

I'll tell you what, I'll make such a bad job of it, I'll send you the photos to show your missus and she's bound to change her mind.

I just think it's going to look dated. A nice chrome or gun metal is what I'd like! She'll be forever bleaching it to keep it white.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

I just think it's going to look dated. A nice chrome or gun metal is what I'd like! She'll be forever bleaching it to keep it white.

IT would be a waste of money for me. Between her and the 2 boys, it would be dented and scratched to buggery in no time at all. I just need something cheap, inconspicuous and easily repairable.

4 minutes ago, daiking said:

IT would be a waste of money for me. Between her and the 2 boys, it would be dented and scratched to buggery in no time at all. I just need something cheap, inconspicuous and easily repairable.

Sounds like D buffering off the back of a lorry is more what you need! :)

I created a tiled skirting in the garage. I don't have a close up pic to hand unfortunately but the second image below is a zoom.

It was just a cut tile with a PVC tile trim on top. Looks fine. But, it is a garage so slightly more industrial!

As an aside screeding, tiling and grouting that floor nearly broke my knees :( The tiles were the "rock" commercial jobbies that they use in car show rooms. To top it all I bought them on line and they delivered on a pallet. delivery truck couldn't make it down the lane so I had to hand ball each pack over 150m. Far too much like hard work :) 

2014-03-23 18.13.13-2.jpg2016-10-26_14-21-01.jpg

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sounds like D buffering off the back of a lorry is more what you need! :)

The boys would eat it.

22 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I created a tiled skirting in the garage. I don't have a close up pic to hand unfortunately but the second image below is a zoom.

It was just a cut tile with a PVC tile trim on top. Looks fine. But, it is a garage so slightly more industrial!

As an aside screeding, tiling and grouting that floor nearly broke my knees :( The tiles were the "rock" commercial jobbies that they use in car show rooms. To top it all I bought them on line and they delivered on a pallet. delivery truck couldn't make it down the lane so I had to hand ball each pack over 150m. Far too much like hard work :) 

2014-03-23 18.13.13-2.jpg2016-10-26_14-21-01.jpg

That looks grand, Barney.

Oh that garage floor. Giving us all ideas.

I have been pondering this idea of tiled skirting. The more I am reading here, the more I am thinking that over time the skirting looks tatty as it gets chipped at corners etc and it's annoying to repaint. Tiles might be harder/more expensive day one but more durable.

The guys who did my bathroom used a very long scribe cutter like Nick suggests. We have porcelain stone look tiles and I struggled to tell the cut edges from the factory edges. Not sure it would be the same on polished tiles. I wouldn't want to see an edge trim whether it be metal or plastic on a tiled skirting, I think that would ruin the effect.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

I wouldn't call an Aston, Bentley & a Lambo crap..... :)

Putting the "car" in a "garage"....?.....?

thats crazy talk! :-)

As for the cars well we live 500m above sea level on the National Park. I'm not quite sure how I'd get any of those cars here unless towed by my Landrover :D 

16 hours ago, AliG said:

Oh that garage floor. Giving us all ideas.

I have been pondering this idea of tiled skirting. The more I am reading here, the more I am thinking that over time the skirting looks tatty as it gets chipped at corners etc and it's annoying to repaint. Tiles might be harder/more expensive day one but more durable.

The guys who did my bathroom used a very long scribe cutter like Nick suggests. We have porcelain stone look tiles and I struggled to tell the cut edges from the factory edges. Not sure it would be the same on polished tiles. I wouldn't want to see an edge trim whether it be metal or plastic on a tiled skirting, I think that would ruin the effect.

Aye but there's no point caring about the finish. Im sure it's possible to for cheap finishes to look good but you would be severely restricted in your options and they need to be done very well. Neither of which do I have the liberty of.

cut edge (not as wonky as it looks)

image2_4.jpg

D4DB260B-5F48-41D9-90BC-A9331AA4F46A.jpg

it looks more obvious due to the different faces. From eye to floor level you can't see them.

I spoke to the builder and he said it would be expensive as he recommended just cutting one piece from each edge of a tile. But I checked and the floor tiles we have have matching skirting tiles available.

1 hour ago, AliG said:

I spoke to the builder and he said it would be expensive as he recommended just cutting one piece from each edge of a tile. But I checked and the floor tiles we have have matching skirting tiles available.

How big are the tiles..?? usually get two from a tile unless they are only 150mm square