Our chickens love insulation - before I eat them, read this please

The kind interpretation: its not their fault: the insulation is exposed.

The harsh interpretation, the design wasn't fully thought through.

Have a look ...

20190917_102217.thumb.jpg.47ed7fd73ae64a779e4e7ad9e5ee559b.jpg

Schematically, it looks like this

20190917_105357.thumb.jpg.96c57f73a6f1ea26478dc634146d9693.jpg

The red dot area is my concern. That little bit of insulation seems to attract them - funny type of roughage innit?

Anyhoo, if the chuck's don't eat it rodents will.

How do I protect that 150mm gap from the local Random Ravenous Rodent ?

I had some calotex stored outside and was unaware that the chickens were eating it daily..... by the time I realised what was going on it was to late and six died, have now moved the insulation. Your drawn picture show the insulation as being set back and mesh may work, but the photo looks like it’s set forward and mesh would not work ! Which one is right ? 

I also love chickens and have 6 in a large fenced area in the garden. Don't let them out anymore as the fox loves them more than I do. 

WRT dressing your insulation, I used a 200mm strip of Ubiflex (fake lead flashing) to cover the insulation  - runs from under battens for render and over the insulated up-stand and into gravel.

It has a gritty finish and I think it's made of bitumen covered steel mesh - so flexible but tough. Comes in a few different colours and there are also cheaper versions from different brands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I think some aluminium, zinc or lead flashing round the bottom would work well.  You could fix this to the Durisol.  It will finish the base off nicely.  You could have it run behind the bottom batten.

??

Now, I need to find a church roof ... somewhere local will do ....

4 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

I also love chickens and have 6 in a large fenced area in the garden. Don't let them out anymore as the fox loves them more than I do. 

WRT dressing your insulation, I used a 200mm strip of Ubiflex (fake lead flashing) to cover the insulation  - runs from under battens for render and over the insulated up-stand and into gravel.

It has a gritty finish and I think it's made of bitumen covered steel mesh - so flexible but tough. Comes in a few different colours and there are also cheaper versions from different brands.

I really like the Ubiflex suggestion. In fact I am going to use Ubiflex extreme under my fibre cement boards and with this as the covering material for the insulation I will not need to cover over the expansion gaps. Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

??

Now, I need to find a church roof ... somewhere local will do ....

Ubiflex is the poor man's version of lead flashing :) 

Now I would have been a bit more smug had I though to apply the Ubiflex before the render went on, but I hadn't thought of it then. I did do it before the garage got rendered and it worked great.

Now have 40m of ubiflex to apply to the main house but luckily for me, the render is (hopefully) getting replaced so I can nick in and do it all properly this time.

Every cloud etc..

• Like 1

If you have a look at Jeremy blog, and stones and Peter stark I think you will find some better answers than the fake lead, I cannot see how you can make that look sharp and crisp, I think it will always look like a roll of something. 

I think there are a few on here who have used a folded flashing made from aluminium. 

Check out the brochure.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/user/u/pimp/uploads/attachments/2/ubbink-ubiflex-range-brochure.pdf

B3 is 3.5mm thick.

B2 is 2.3mm thick.

And you get 3 colours at least .. black, great, terracotta.

The first tIme I used was on the roof of a sun lounge to join corrugated to the house wall. Used B3 as this was back’ in 2013 or so.

More recently used B2 for a similar role on a car port.

Just look at the various options before choosing. I found the B2 easier by far to work with.

There are also vids around.

F