PV Array - Maximum Size

Barney12

I think this is a simple question but one I cant seem to find a distinct answer to by Googling:

With a non MCS or FiT solar install what is the maximum array size?

I thought there wasn't one but the form from our DNO which you send in after commissioning says that the maximum array is 4kw per phase.

Edited by Barney12

Do you actually need to inform them? Is that done to get a '2-way' meter installed and an agreement for the provider to buy off you and at what rate?  Was considering a small array to offset my vampire / parasitic loads throughout the day, fitted flat on my new shed roof, when it gets done :S. Idea was to add to it over time to increase revenue / run other appliances accordingly. 

Yes, if grid connected you need to inform your DNO. Info here

You have to go through all of that so the DNO is satisfied that the equipment you connect is safe and will not feed electricity into the grid of in the event of a power cut so their workers are protected.

You won't get paid for any export doing this. As far as I understand it you would have to persuade a supply company to buy the export from you. When I last asked SEE couldn't give me an answer on how I would go about doing this (other than the usual MCS route).

15 hours ago, Stones said:

Yes, if grid connected you need to inform your DNO. Info here

You have to go through all of that so the DNO is satisfied that the equipment you connect is safe and will not feed electricity into the grid of in the event of a power cut so their workers are protected.

You won't get paid for any export doing this. As far as I understand it you would have to persuade a supply company to buy the export from you. When I last asked SEE couldn't give me an answer on how I would go about doing this (other than the usual MCS route).

Do the inverters 'lift' in the event of grid electric failure ( aka a power cut ) ? 

It's all down to what the network in your immediate vicinity can handle.  Having other PV installations nearby can affect this.

We applied for, and were granted, the right to install an 8.5kW array in an ordinary suburban area.  Took longer than expected (something like 7 weeks instead of a month?  Can't remember!), but was granted without comment.

15 hours ago, jack said:

It's all down to what the network in your immediate vicinity can handle.  Having other PV installations nearby can affect this.

We applied for, and were granted, the right to install an 8.5kW array in an ordinary suburban area.  Took longer than expected (something like 7 weeks instead of a month?  Can't remember!), but was granted without comment.

Our advice was to go for the max in case they were cutting it down on principle or rationing.

Ended up with 9.98 kWP .

It took a fortnight.

Edited by Ferdinand

• 5 months later...

Ok we are in the middle of this process with the DNO.

If grid connected then they may let you go over 16amps but it depends on the local network being able to cope.

Also found out that as we have an array already i cannot claim any fit payments for the new array. 

If the DNO does not allow you to go over 16 amps you can fit an export limiter. They will want to verify that it is fitted and charge for the visit.