Bathroom starts !

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

@Onoff - here around the recessed mirror - rough as f . Why ?

because mirror has a nice 10mm lip .

Nice profile hides poor workmanship- isn’t that why it was invented ? ???

13BB6EAD-AB83-4AC4-8024-D1A937BC1C3B.jpeg

Who needs mm skills on bits you never see . Apart from you of course - cutting circle around pan etc . F ‘ that - here’s a sensible bad boy approach 

image.jpg

I’m not convinced by any edging trim. It just makes me think that the tiler couldn’t do a decent enough job. 

I think it might detract from your rather highend finish that you are working towards. 

But that might be because I’ve only seen trim on shite jobs. ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

I’m not convinced by any edging trim. It just makes me think that the tiler couldn’t do a decent enough job. 

I think it might detract from your rather highend finish that you are working towards. 

But that might be because I’ve only seen trim on shite jobs. ?‍♂️

Yeah - but I have edging trim in the ensuite anyway. Got to have some 'edge' if not to hide poor cuts but to protect the tile edges.

12 minutes ago, pocster said:

I reckon this

https://www.protilertools.co.uk/product/genesis-polished-chrome-aluminium-self-adhesive-edge-protector-2-6m-eaa206-91

Mitre the corners - hides all the sins.

What does anyone else think?

100% yes as long as the legs are deep enough to cover the tiles that'll "line" the box and the fubar'd edge.

You will of course end up with a water trap on the bottom mind. Not in a wet room area is it? If so you'll have to mop in there with the towel you've just used.

Tile away with gay abandon then stick the trims on with CT1 later.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

100% yes as long as the legs are deep enough to cover the tiles that'll "line" the box and the fubar'd edge.

You will of course end up with a water trap on the bottom mind. Not in a wet room area is it? If so you'll have to mop in there with the towel you've just used.

Tile away with gay abandon then stick the trims on with CT1 later.

Now this is exactly what I was thinking - just needed some other half wit to say the same which in turn convinces me.

Great minds think alike - or in our case non great minds think alike!

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ordered! - Now no one will see badness!

I find not having any heating in the bathroom and keeping it a balmy 15degC, you tend not to hang around in there and ponder the sh!t tiling. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I find not having any heating in the bathroom

Not quite true that is it..?? 

You’ve got the heating installed, it’s just resolving the air gaps between the ends of the pipes and the heat source !!

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

08B29345-553B-4860-BC6E-AA4C97B12ED5.thumb.jpeg.0d023f395367e34703cfcb7830ac5b39.jpeg

Get yourself some wet-wipes and enjoy ?

Don’t think much of the grout tho, might look ok when it’s finished. ?

The alignment of the tiles to the recess is amazing. But a lot of effort for somewhere to collect water and dirt. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

08B29345-553B-4860-BC6E-AA4C97B12ED5.thumb.jpeg.0d023f395367e34703cfcb7830ac5b39.jpeg

Get yourself some wet-wipes and enjoy ?

Looking at this again ; it’s a bit of a cheat !

The recess is positioned exactly to line up with the tiles so no cuts ! . Only way I could see to do this would be to tile AND build the stud ‘around’ it - I.e to suit . This what you did Uncle Nick ?

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

Only way I could see to do this would be to tile AND build the stud ‘around’ it - I.e to suit . This what you did Uncle Nick ?

Yes it’s what is called planning ....... but seriously, detail doesn’t happen by accident, it is planned from the outset. I’ve just done a conversion with a niche built into a very thick internal wall, that was for a specific sculpture and it has been sized to fit it exactly. But that went in when the blockwork was being done and it was all factored in to work with that one item.

Same with light positions etc, you have to plan them when the roof/floor is going in, and then it works when you come to install a they are in the correct places. I use marked up plans with everything on them down to the last socket as otherwise you’re struggling to ensure you have everything in the right place.

Plan plan plan ..!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, pocster said:

Looking at this again ; it’s a bit of a cheat !

The recess is positioned exactly to line up with the tiles so no cuts ! . Only way I could see to do this would be to tile AND build the stud ‘around’ it - I.e to suit . This what you did Uncle Nick ?

I'd say "well planned by someone who chose not to punch themselves in the face for the sake of spiting their nose".

One of my cheats in renos is that the plug sockets backing kitchen worktops are always above the level of the tiles.

And I don't put silly things like niches in my tiling.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes it’s what is called planning ....... but seriously, detail doesn’t happen by accident, it is planned from the outset. I’ve just done a conversion with a niche built into a very thick internal wall, that was for a specific sculpture and it has been sized to fit it exactly. But that went in when the blockwork was being done and it was all factored in to work with that one item.

Same with light positions etc, you have to plan them when the roof/floor is going in, and then it works when you come to install a they are in the correct places. I use marked up plans with everything on them down to the last socket as otherwise you’re struggling to ensure you have everything in the right place.

Plan plan plan ..!!

I know , I know . Simply by knowing the tile sizes , recess size and adjusting stud to suit you can mitigate lots of Trickiness !

The problem on a first time self build you don’t know what you should of planned until you get to that point . Some things I have planned and I think how clever I am when it all comes together . Other times ????

So in a way I am a better tiler than @Nickfromwales as I have to deal with more difficult situations, he just takes the easy route by planning ?