Bathroom starts !

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

There's a process; fag packet sketch, CAD, scale model, real deal:

20180105_230949

2018-01-01_12-49-19

20190309_215812

Unfortunately my tiling's better on the model...

Looks bloody good to me. Just that bit on the top right hand corner of the window. (Well somebody had to point it out)

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Which way is it bowing? In or Out is a bit confusing. Are the ends in or the middle? 

I thought by the photo that it was the opposite of onoffs drawing. 

It is 

But as it took him 5 hours to draw it , thought I’d better like it 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

How is this wall not bowed in?

9E111832-07D6-4F1B-8C12-C0DD6B6EE384.jpeg

Lol sorry ! That photo’s misleading . The bottom of the level is on the tile face . I’m just showing that the ‘gap’ for the tile narrows as I go up the wall I.e no room for a tile !

My fault.  Trick photo ????

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Lol sorry ! That photo’s misleading . The bottom of the level is on the tile face . I’m just showing that the ‘gap’ for the tile narrows as I go up the wall I.e no room for a tile !

My fault.  Trick photo ????

Gotcha! How much tiling have you done on the wall, what else is on there (Just know you're going to say WC and shower). Any option to tile OVER the bottom row of tiles? 

1 minute ago, Big Jimbo said:

Trif job, and the alcove colour change mood lighting to get that model in the mood.

Nah, it's either blue or blue. Matches my mood most of the time. My alcove lights were I think £4.99 for 10 from S'fix with a tenner off the already discounted clearance price. St/st garden deck lights. Bought two sets. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Gotcha! How much tiling have you done on the wall, what else is on there (Just know you're going to say WC and shower). Any option to tile OVER the bottom row of tiles? 

Isn’t that over kill?? Just trim 4mm of the end of the tile. The corner will need a thin bead of silicone anyway so it will cover any discrepancies. 

Slap em in... it ain’t rocket science. ?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

It is 

But as it took him 5 hours to draw it , thought I’d better like it 

In that case, you really just need a bit more adhesive to pack out those end tiles. Job done. 

4 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Isn’t that over kill?? Just trim 4mm of the end of the tile. The corner will need a thin bead of silicone anyway so it will cover any discrepancies. 

Slap em in... it ain’t rocket science. ?

I'm lost as to what I'm looking at the. Presumably he means as the wall bows out at the top he can't get a tile in?

EDIT: Just read, he does mean that. I'd multitool the backer board a bit thinner maybe and tank for good measure. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm lost as to what I'm looking at the. Presumably he means as the wall bows out at the top he can't get a tile in?

There are 2 different issues I think.

1) the short cut tile that he has at the end of a row in the corner is lower than the rest of the row, so will need more adhesive behind it to bring it level.

2) the wall isn’t 100% vertical so the width allowed for tiles to slide into a gap allowed by tiling the adjacent wall gets narrower as you go up the wall. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

There are 2 different issues I think.

1) the short cut tile that he has at the end of a row in the corner is lower than the rest of the row, so will need more adhesive behind it to bring it level.

2) the wall isn’t 100% vertical so the width allowed for tiles to slide into a gap allowed by tiling the adjacent wall gets narrower as you go up the wall. 

Almost . The short cut at the end to follow the other tiles on that row ( I.e flat , even if wall isn’t ) goes ‘into’ the wall .

@Onoff has got it . I need to ‘thin’ a narrow strip of that corner vertically .

As I said , luckily sink and vanity unit go on this wall and in this corner .

• Like 1

Look uncle Nick - LOOK

Getting faster ( slightly ) , using less adhesive . This photo is BEFORE I’ve cleaned the faces .

Decided to let my bowed corner go . Wall cabinet can hide my sins .

So sorry Uncle Nick ( aka @Nickfromwales ) it didn’t work out with your last appreciate @Onoff - understand he met his fate .... RIPs ???

D4189227-CB86-4E60-9113-EB2084F3B191.jpeg

So !

As I near the top of this wall what do I do at angled ceiling meets tile ?

Can’t really silicone as need to mask the ceiling - tape might take paint off ?

Beading ?

With beading anyway do I fit first or with tiles as I go ? . Seem to remember beading always looks nice but cost is upsetting !

As mitring felt like a pita have these nice corner bits .

Advice welcome !!

46BAC346-0A35-41CA-953D-5934A4BA4740.jpeg

A422E558-5787-4668-A529-E0AADE40309C.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I do hope your ceiling line is level ? Nothing worse than a tile at say 60mm one end of the room, and 90mm at the other end of the room.

Don’t know . Will find out . Quick measure from tile at either end to ceiling about 4mm variation .

Photo to show concern better 

image.jpg

On a job a few years ago i met a polish tiler. It was facinating watching him. He measured nothing. He would hold a tile up, look at what he needed to cut, put it down and cut it. Even including going around sockets etc. He did mitres on a external corners, and used no trim anywhere. His tiling was the best i had ever seen, and boy was he quick. I wanted some tiling done, and spoke to him about it. I showed him photos of the room, and he simply said "A grand" I had been let down, and having seen his work said OK. A few days later he turned up, worked for the day, finished the job, got his money, and off he went. The tiling looked fantastic. The only strange thing about him was that at lunchtime, he went outside for a hour, put some foreign drum and bass rubbish on full blast in his car. Striped to his underpants, and laid down on the drive to sunbathe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I *suppose* I could stick a straight beading along and cut each tile to meet it . I always though beading has a lip so the crap tile cut would go under it .

What do I do with this ? . Just have a cut edge next to the bead ? . Should the bead be proud of the tile or flush ???

1 minute ago, Big Jimbo said:

On a job a few years ago i met a polish tiler. It was facinating watching him. He measured nothing. He would hold a tile up, look at what he needed to cut, put it down and cut it. Even including going around sockets etc. He did mitres on a external corners, and used no trim anywhere. His tiling was the best i had ever seen, and boy was he quick. I wanted some tiling done, and spoke to him about it. I showed him photos of the room, and he simply said "A grand" I had been let down, and having seen his work said OK. A few days later he turned up, worked for the day, finished the job, got his money, and off he went. The tiling looked fantastic. The only strange thing about him was that at lunchtime, he went outside for a hour, put some foreign drum and bass rubbish on full blast in his car. Striped to his underpants, and laid down on the drive to sunbathe.

That was my twin .

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

I *suppose* I could stick a straight beading along and cut each tile to meet it . I always though beading has a lip so the crap tile cut would go under it .

What do I do with this ? . Just have a cut edge next to the bead ? . Should the bead be proud of the tile or flush ???

IN my opinion, flush.

• Thanks 1