Bathroom starts !

Lol

My memory must be going . It’s not as bad as I thought . The corner is out , it bows .

If you look at the 2nd photo the gap for the tile narrows to a point where you can’t even get a tile in . I’m assuming this is all ‘acceptable’ at the moment ....

CAA48023-D160-4DA9-9532-8072DF3694CB.jpeg

9E111832-07D6-4F1B-8C12-C0DD6B6EE384.jpeg

It’s going to be a bugger to access 

Would have to rip off tile below . Fitting has 3 screws . 2 above the tile 1 below . 
How annoying !

Do I rip the lower tile off . Cut the backer board out . Sort it’s level . Baton / fix board then re tank , all for maybe 3mm ???!

E76A4565-5FDB-426E-ACC6-C034EDA190AF.jpeg

I guess the question is whether you will see it when you are using the shower? There is nothing worse than seeing something that you did not quite right... no one else would notice, but will it be one of those things that pisses you off about the shower?

If you just push the fitting against a flat surface does it hide the foam backing (I.e. the chrome bit touches the surface), if not then what you have is how it’s supposed to be anyway.... with a little bit of vertical fettling! 

Edited by Gav_P
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

I guess the question is whether you will see it when you are using the shower? There is nothing worse than seeing something that you did not quite right... no one else would notice, but will it be one of those things that pisses you off about the shower?

If you just push the fitting against a flat surface does it hide the foam backing (I.e. the chrome bit touches the surface), if not then what you have is how it’s supposed to be anyway.... with a little bit of vertical fettling! 

When you're busting for a sh!t, poor tiling...well you just don't notice it!

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Yes the ‘foam’ squashes against a flat surface as I assume . But it’s like a mm . I was more worried about the shower elbow not fitting fully on the fitting . Can’t build / tile to 1 mm accuracy ??

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You could marker pen the walls pre tiling with the approx tile positions then stick packs (say 4 per tile) on to take up some of the "gap" and to save you pushing the tiles in too far.

9E111832-07D6-4F1B-8C12-C0DD6B6EE384.thumb.jpeg.8c4fd15179cd1c9f51ff0bc59de7a5b7.jpeg.b671d8290167a238cc7f696b1b38f045.jpeg

You lost me . You mean deliberately push the tiles ‘out’ away from the backer board ? . Creep out a bit per row ?

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yes the ‘foam’ squashes against a flat surface as I assume . But it’s like a mm . I was more worried about the shower elbow not fitting fully on the fitting . Can’t build / tile to 1 mm accuracy ??

Oh F it then. It’s perfect ?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

You lost me . You mean deliberately push the tiles ‘out’ away from the backer board ? . Creep out a bit per row ?

Right, you have in effect a hollow there, a depression in the wall. You spread your wall with the same depth of adhesive say 6mm notched. The risk is you push some of the tiles into the depression. Some cleverly placed packs would stop you pushing the tile in too far. They would come up against the pack. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Right, you have in effect a hollow there, a depression in the wall. You spread your wall with the same depth of adhesive say 6mm notched. The risk is you push some of the tiles into the depression. Some cleverly placed packs would stop you pushing the tile in too far. They would come up against the pack. 

I’m still lost ?

The corner bows out as far as I can tell . I can’t push each row out a bit to compensate otherwise I’ll get the dread lippage . Appreciate with smaller tiles you can gain/ lose as you go . Still thinking of cutting a narrow strip of backer board out in the corner . Adhesive on the ok bit of tile . Ct1 on the bit where I need to be shallow and also beneath backer board is timber .

9 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’m still lost ?

The corner bows out as far as I can tell . I can’t push each row out a bit to compensate otherwise I’ll get the dread lippage . Appreciate with smaller tiles you can gain/ lose as you go . Still thinking of cutting a narrow strip of backer board out in the corner . Adhesive on the ok bit of tile . Ct1 on the bit where I need to be shallow and also beneath backer board is timber .

With your straight edge against the wall you see the bow, inward right?

What you want ideally is a flat wall. A proper tile could lay a whole bunch of tiles and gently press them all in level, even with a bowed wall. The longer your straight edge btw the better.

So imo if you marked roughly where your tiles are going, then held a straight edge up, you slip in the nearest thickness pack behind the level. Gives you a pseudo flat wall.

20200831_195121.thumb.jpg.69a3ee2d0645d352f42e5ff69775bc8b.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

With your straight edge against the wall you see the bow, inward right?

What you want ideally is a flat wall. A proper tile could lay a whole bunch of tiles and gently press them all in level, even with a bowed wall. The longer your straight edge btw the better.

So imo if you marked roughly where your tiles are going, then held a straight edge up, you slip in the nearest thickness pack behind the level. Gives you a pseudo flat wall.

20200831_195121.thumb.jpg.69a3ee2d0645d352f42e5ff69775bc8b.jpg

Ffs... ? that’s a more detailed drawing than I had for the complete build of my house.

• Haha 2

Which way is it bowing? In or Out is a bit confusing. Are the ends in or the middle? 

I thought by the photo that it was the opposite of onoffs drawing. 

Edited by Gav_P

4 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Ffs... ? that’s a more detailed drawing than I had for the complete build of my house.

There's a process; fag packet sketch, CAD, scale model, real deal:

20180105_230949

2018-01-01_12-49-19

20190309_215812

Unfortunately my tiling's better on the model...

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

There's a process; fag packet sketch, CAD, scale model, real deal:

20180105_230949

2018-01-01_12-49-19

20190309_215812

Unfortunately my tiling's better on the model...

I like that fact you went to the effort of adding a naked lady but didn’t bother with the bog ?.

I bet that sliver of tile above the window pissed you off as it wasn’t in the cad model. 

still it does look amazing ?. Well worth the wait!!