Show us your temperatures

AliG

My family seem to be averse to opening windows no matter how hot gets.

I just checked Heatmiser and see a temp of 29 degrees in one south facing room.

But it is a mere 25C in Edinburgh at the moment, versus 38C down south.

So let's see how hot you can get.

IMG_7510.PNG

In my south facing conservatory with all windows and doors open and a slight breeze it’s 31.5.  in the house with windows shut it’s 24.2. Not bad for having no active cooling (yet!). After the hottest day (predicted) yet to find how warm the bedrooms are tonight , (bugger, forgot to shut the curtains, hot foot upstairs then!).

Edited by joe90

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

In my south facing conservatory with all windows and doors open and a slight breeze it’s 31.5.  in the house with windows shut it’s 24.2. Not bad for having no active cooling (yet!). After the hottest day (predicted) yet to find how warm the bedrooms are tonight , (bugger, forgot to shut the curtains, hot foot upstairs then!).

Ha, just rushed upstairs to close curtains and don’t need to, the 500mm roof overhang shades the upstairs windows perfectly. (It’s good when a plan comes together?)

We'd be pretty damned hot if I was to open any windows.  Currently 21.4°C indoors (downstairs) and 31.3°C outside at the rear (North) side of the house.  On the front (South) side the walls are currently at 41.6°C.  I suspect the roof is a fair bit hotter. 

Just north of Inverness, 26 outside, 22 inside.

At least the nights are cool enough for an all windows open night purge to cool the house down for the next day.

And today is one day I am not cursing the trees for presently shading all but one of the south facing windows.

When the WM finishes I might turn the ASHP back on in cooling mode for a bit.

A bit of house wall that is in the sun, 31 degrees, Solar panel surface temperature 42 degrees.

And for a contrast, water flowing in the burn, 9 degrees.   (hmmmm, just pipe water from the burn through a fan coil unit for cooling?)

Right, 3 temperatures.

Max outside temp so far today is 24.3°C at 13:08 to 13:22

Max house temp is 22°C at 13:33 to 14:40 (so may carry on a bit)

Max window cill temperature is 25.3°C at 10:03.  The windows were closed as I was out.

Cloudy and a bit breezy here today.

I keep asking the family to open windows to let house cool down but they don't seem to care.

MVHR is running in bypass mode but makes little difference compared to opening a window.

I find anything over 23 horrible.

Currently on train home and AC cannot cope with the temp, which is 37C outside, probably the same inside.

My phone started to overheat and throttle earlier so I had to switch it off for a bit.

We have a 600mm overhang and indeed the upstairs south facing rooms are slightly cooler, but only slightly.

1 minute ago, AliG said:

MVHR is running in bypass mode but makes little difference compared to opening a window.

Surely bypass mode will only work to cool a house when outside temperature is lower than inside?  If it is hotter outside you will get that hotter air straight into the house.

when it is really hot outside you want the MVHR in "heat recovery" mode.  All the heat exchanger does is seeks to equalise incoming and outgoing temperature.  so when it is hot outside, the incoming air will be cooled a little by the cooler outgoing air.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And for a contrast, water flowing in the burn, 9 degrees.   (hmmmm, just pipe water from the burn through a fan coil unit for cooling?)

That would work well, as I bet your burn stays at that temperature most of the time.  Our stream sits at about 8°C all year around, and when we were doing the groundworks (in very hot weather) one of the chaps suggested just piping water from the stream around the house and back again to cool it down.

I think it kicks in when the differential is 5C, but I would have to check.

It might not be running at the moment, but it usually runs in the evening when it cools down outside and I do not see it making a noticeable difference to the temperature.

I just don't think it moves enough air.

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

We'd be pretty damned hot if I was to open any windows.  Currently 21.4°C indoors (downstairs) and 31.3°C outside at the rear (North) side of the house.  On the front (South) side the walls are currently at 41.6°C.  I suspect the roof is a fair bit hotter. 

Insane. As much as I like Wiltshire, I don't think I'll be moving there any time soon!

• Like 1

Just now, ProDave said:

Surely bypass mode will only work to cool a house when outside temperature is lower than inside?  If it is hotter outside you will get that hotter air straight into the house.

when it is really hot outside you want the MVHR in "heat recovery" mode.  All the heat exchanger does is seeks to equalise incoming and outgoing temperature.  so when it is hot outside, the incoming air will be cooled a little by the cooler outgoing air.

Yes, bypass will heat the house up, much like opening a door or window, if it's hotter outside than in.

Best strategy for passive cooling is to keep the house shut up tight in the heat of the day, with the MVHR off, then night purge it as much as possible as soon as the temperature outside drops below the indoor temperature.

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

That would work well, as I bet your burn stays at that temperature most of the time.  Our stream sits at about 8°C all year around, and when we were doing the groundworks (in very hot weather) one of the chaps suggested just piping water from the stream around the house and back again to cool it down.

The hassle of running the pipes puts me off  And it would have to be under the radar otherwise some busy body would tell me I need an abstraction licence (even though it would all go straight back in)

I must measure the water temperature in winter.  It never freezes even when -15 overnight.

As we are near the Atlantic and currently have a modest breeze so it’s more comfortable to have the MVHR off, windows and doors open open. Windows still open at night for night purge.

It would be a rare day in Scotland when it was warmer outside than in!

But indeed when I am not at home no one does anything about opening windows at night to cool it down, or closing curtains to keep out some of the sun, or turning off lights, or...

I could go on.

If only there was some way to save this heat for the winter.

Edited by AliG
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AliG said:

It would be a rare day in Scotland when it was warmer outside than in!

Been like that for a few days now here.

But I have managed to educate the familly to keep the windows shut in the day.  In the evening I check the outside temperature and as soon as it drops lower than inside, the windows are opened to start the purge.

11 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Behold!!!! My office temperature.

At this moment in time im pretty sure that if i peed myself it was actually be cooler.......but equally as damp.

IMG_20190725_145318.jpg

33.2 will be hard to beat even if @JSHarris switched on his heating it is hotter than his flow temperature.

Edited by AliG

I’m working from home and not finding it unbearable TBH. The room I’m working in is 25 degrees. No windows open as that just encourages bugs. I might open the bedroom window tonight if it’s as hot as last night once the lights are out. A tower fan running makes it bearable though. 

3118A4E5-3677-476F-8CD4-40C7B0AD4482.jpeg

D18B146C-F71E-4F6A-AD5F-4480DF9569AC.jpeg

I must admit I finished early today.  The job I was on has a lot of stuff to do up in the loft, and since the job is not urgent, I thought that could wait for a less hot day (preferably a cloudy and wet day)