When is a Y a T ?

ToughButterCup

When its a Ring Seal Soil 110mm 92.5° Access Branch Double Socket 

SP230G-0.jpg.484982e3d7cefdc2edf1c8bdd75a7701.jpg

Now, to me, that looks like a letter Y. But oh no, its a T or better still a Tee: not tea either. 

Took me 2 friggin' hours of research yesterday to discover that. Only just recovered.

There are few metres of pipe either side of the branch on ours, with bends in both, so I suspect that the potential "back flow" problem is mitigated by that.  Not sure I'd want two toilets back to back through an arrangement like that with just short pipe connections, though.

@ProDave, the Tee sits on the stack:  upstairs loo piping descends to the left-hand branch and the right hand branch to the downstairs loo. 

Bosses used for hand basins.

And, while admitting that a little learning is a (in this case) very dangerous thing, 

H1 Sanitary Pipework: Page 8 Diagram 2, A . '... opposed connections without swept entries larger than 65mm should be offset ...'

My sh!t chute is swept, baby, swept

6 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

A Y branch looks like a Y...

Man, that's a badly formed r .... I wanna meet your infant teacher. 

5 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

@ProDave, the Tee sits on the stack:  upstairs loo piping descends to the left-hand branch and the right hand branch to the downstairs loo. 

Bosses used for hand basins.

And, while admitting that a little learning is a (in this case) very dangerous thing, 

My sh!t chute is swept, baby, swept

No I would not do that.  Contents dropping at velocity into the left hand branch may end up in the downstairs loo if it is very close to the right hand branch.  I think someone described it as "swapping contents"

I would use 2 separate Y branches with the upstairs loo joining the stack higher up, so by the time it gets to the downstairs loo branch, it's direction of travel is well and truly downwards.

The trouble is, it is hard to predict and you won't know until you try it, and if the results do prove "disappointing" you will have to change it.

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No I would not do that.  Contents dropping at velocity into the left hand branch may end up in the downstairs loo if it is very close to the right hand branch.  I think someone described it as "swapping contents"

I would use 2 separate Y branches with the upstairs loo joining the stack higher up, so by the time it gets to the downstairs loo branch, it's direction of travel is well and truly downwards.

The trouble is, it is hard to predict and you won't know until you try it, and if the results do prove "disappointing" you will have to change it.

TMI. Maybe.

36 minutes ago, ProDave said:

swapping contents"

Yes I know someone that this happened to, a builder split a large house into two semi,s, bathrooms/toilets back to back on short pipes. It was a gift neither wanted. Builder had to return and trash both bathrooms to cure.

7 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Y is a 45 degree 

T is a 92.5 degree

I know that .... now. 

But any non-plumber looking at a T can see it looks like a Y and - if you don't know there's such a thing as a proper Y ...  a few frustrating hours searching Tinternet disappears into the ether . 

I don't know what I don't know. If I did I wouldn'a started (from here)

48 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You need to review the soil stack regs @AnonymousBosch as there are strict regulations on how it can be done 

Ok, then Big Boy ..... ??

H1, Page 8,  Diagram 2 , Cross Section A, Key 

Opposed Connections larger than 65mm (without swept entries) should be offset at least 200mm irrespective of stack diameter

Both @ProDave's point , and  indeed @joe90, nudged my thinking a bit further: it makes sense NOT to do what I initially propose. Its just as easy to insert a Y further up the line.

That said, I now know the Regs a bit better: time not completely wasted, then.?

14 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I know that .... now. 

But any non-plumber looking at a T can see it looks like a Y and - if you don't know there's such a thing as a proper Y ...  a few frustrating hours searching Tinternet disappears into the ether . 

I don't know what I don't know. If I did I wouldn'a started (from here)

One of the frustrations I find is looking for a tingumywhatsit when you know exactly what it looks like and does, but you don't know what it is called.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Upstairs loo piping descends to the left-hand branch and the right hand branch to the downstairs loo. 

If the upstairs soil pipe comes into the left branch, I would be tempted to use a decent bend on it, or else you will get lots of splattering noises - OK if it is going to be outside.

I know soil 90° are always bends rather than elbows like you can get on waste fittings but the bends are still quite sudden. 

I know someone who has lots of bends and things before a soil stack in their kitchen and I kid you know, you can audibly track the progress of the poop as it makes it's way along and down the internal stack which in the kitchen, is rather off putting!