Log Cabin Project - Final Plans Done :D

iSelfBuild

Really love seeing this thread, it’s out of my budget but this is something I would like to look into in a few years time. Look forward to following your progress.  

1 hour ago, iSelfBuild said:

No not necessarily, this model is a very luxurious secluded retreat and I'll be charging a premium for this. Hence why its quite spacious and I have a master bedroom and en-suite and will have all those extra features like sauna, bbq hut and wood fired hot tub.

Price wise for this model - the finished shell supplied and built with windows and doors, and roof covering would be £90kish. Easy to get a 2 bed 200mm round log down to £70k mark but since it's my show lodge and because of the market I'm targeting I have designed it like this. A 3 bed could be done for £90k mark and still be comfortable space.

If your looking for low build costs and targeting the mass market, It would be best in 75mm glulam logs to EN1647. 1 bed is fine (sofa beds don't count on a lot of online rental sites), 2 bedrooms is plenty - from all my research 3 beds get virtually no more rent and you end up with two families staying and twice the wear and tear. 

On the programme four in the bed on wed the couple hosting ran a luxury out door experience type set up but was in mobile homes. They where finished to a very high standard with a hot tub and the rest . They mentioned the price they charge but I can't remember what it was though. 

4 hours ago, iSelfBuild said:

No not necessarily, this model is a very luxurious secluded retreat and I'll be charging a premium for this. Hence why its quite spacious and I have a master bedroom and en-suite and will have all those extra features like sauna, bbq hut and wood fired hot tub.

Price wise for this model - the finished shell supplied and built with windows and doors, and roof covering would be £90kish. Easy to get a 2 bed 200mm round log down to £70k mark but since it's my show lodge and because of the market I'm targeting I have designed it like this. A 3 bed could be done for £90k mark and still be comfortable space.

If your looking for low build costs and targeting the mass market, It would be best in 75mm glulam logs to EN1647. 1 bed is fine (sofa beds don't count on a lot of online rental sites), 2 bedrooms is plenty - from all my research 3 beds get virtually no more rent and you end up with two families staying and twice the wear and tear. 

thats £842sqm  for a  bare shell

then  add plot + services  + fitting out + delivery and erection costs ,certainly  premium market you are aiming at 

How does this design handle a typical family?

Say parents, 11 year old boy, 15 year old girl?

or those plus grandma and granddaddy?

or plus childrens’ friends for a holiday?

(Yes, I am positing awkward but typical use cases.)

F

Edited by Ferdinand

43 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

thats £842sqm  for a  bare shell

then  add plot + services  + fitting out + delivery and erection costs ,certainly  premium market you are aiming at 

Yes - This is a 200mm round log cabin, it is not a wendy house. If customers want slimmer square logs then the price flies down, however I'm very happy to discourage the market who are looking for the wendy house type cabins.

FYI see my budgetary figures for my project (let's pretend I'm charging a client for design & build, my costs are less because I'm not charging myself) they are very rough.

All in costs come to £200,000.00 furnished and set up for renting.

£55,000.00 – Land

£10,000.00 - Legals, electric connection, foul drainage design and installation, site scraping

£4,000.00 – Brick Piers, Landscaping & Driveway

£90,000.00 – Log Cabin Design, Supply & Build

£1,200.00 – Armoured Cable Upgrade

£1,500.00 – LPG Boiler + Fitting

£1,000.00 – Water Pumping Solution

£2,000.00 – Internal Electrics

£2,000.00 – Plumbing + Radiators

£2,800.00 – Bedroom Furniture

£1,000.00 – Bathroom

£1,000.00 – En-suite

£1,000.00 – Log Burner

£1,000.00 – Curtains + Decorations

£5,000.00 – Kitchen + Appliances

£1,000.00 – TV + Entertainment

£1,600.00 – Dining Table + Sofa

£1,000.00 – Cupboards and coffee tables etc

£1,000.00 – Bedding & Towels & Accessories

£3,000.00 – Decking Construction

£2,000.00 – Wood Fired Hot Tub

It's also interesting that 1 mile away a holiday park is selling a 75mm glulam chalet version (3 beds in the same floor space), unfurnished, less land, same sole residency restriction, on a holiday park but nestled at the top away from the caravans and in a nice woodland setting - no where near as nice and private as my plot. These sell for £300,000.00. They have sold about 7 of them I think. Some people rent them out for £680 - £1,250.00 a week depending on the time of the year.

P.S. Kitchen and furniture might look cheap for solid oak free standing but I import directly from Vietnam through a wholesaler contact. 

Edited by iSelfBuild

32 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

How does this design handle a typical family?

Say parents, 11 year old boy, 15 year old girl?

or those plus grandma and granddaddy?

or plus childrens’ friends for a holiday?

(Yes, I am positing awkward but typical use cases.)

F

Second bedroom will be zip link beds. 

Sofa will be a sofa bed. Sleeps 4 officially. But 6 unofficially considering the sofa bed.

Is this enough space for a disabled compliant wet room? I will also need to batten and panel board the room. I'm a little confused by the guidance online for disabled space (Scotland) has anyone got a floor plan for something like this?

Thanks

Wet Room.png

The only thing that makes a bathroom "accessible" is having the prescribed "activity space" in front of the bath, shower, basin and WC.

I planned the layout of ours by cutting out large bits of cardboard of the required size for each activity space and laying them on the ground,.

Also things like the door must not swing over an activity space etc which might mean outward opening.

2 hours ago, iSelfBuild said:

Is it not a 153cm accesible circle in Scotland? If so I don't think it's possible?

I see no mention in the 2013 regs which is what I am working to.  If there is, my bathroom won't comply.

There is a 150cm diameter or 140 by 180 eleipse circulation space requirement in a kitchen.

interesting project, you could look on your local council planning website to find applications for houses near you for new houses and see if they show the activity spaces, this is a house local to me and you can clearly see the activity space marked, i think you will struggle with a bathroom that small https://pa.shetland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/ADBC1F1FC4F23C6516588E3211B0E4B3/pdf/2019_049_AMSC-1-50_SCALE_GROUND_FLOOR_PLAN-289861.pdf "activity spaces" sizes can be found here as well as other guidance etc https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-standards-2017-domestic/3-environment/312-sanitary-facilities/

23 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Did anyone see impossible builds last night, couple building a large cabin in the woods, it came all ready, built by a company in Cumbria and delivered to site in two halves! It was on wheels because of planning regs, very interesting but cost £280k!

Starting to watch this now :)

• Like 1

Well after watching the impossible build I'm glad I'm assembling on site!

With regards to the disabled accessible bathroom I believe this complies - https://www2.gov.scot/resource/buildingstandards/2013Domestic/chunks/ch04s13.html

Hopefully I have interpreted the rules correctly as a side entrance toilet would allow:

1. Where allowing side transfer, a small wall-hung wash hand basin may project up to 300mm into the activity space in front of the WC.

This also allows a glass screen so the whole bathroom doesn't get soaked when showering ?

208341341_DisabledBathroom.thumb.png.5d5b1814aa5d205edb045621eb851bc8.png

On 19/06/2019 at 19:12, Christine Walker said:

Did anyone see impossible builds last night, couple building a large cabin in the woods, it came all ready, built by a company in Cumbria and delivered to site in two halves! It was on wheels because of planning regs, very interesting but cost £280k!

i’ve watched that the AM whilst dodging Japanese tourists at the hotel breakfastime, and On a first look I am disappointed by the alleged premise of the programme.

It is put over as pioneering couple discover hidden site in back of beyond in wilds of Essex and engage in an impossible build that stretches their psychological and physical resources to the limit dah-de-dah-de-dah yadda yadda yadda wibble wobble wabble.

And it turns out to be almost a show home for something called Hill Wood Retreats which is the posh corner of an Essex version of the Cotswold Water Park, though involving 6 figure sums not 7.

https://www.somerleyton.co.uk/fritton-lake/hill-wood/

There is even a picture of the cockerpoo.

Fair play and congratulations  to the couple for building it, but the storyline is in significant measure baloney, and for Charlie I am disappointed. They are on the surface normal customers for a normal, albeit posh, woodland lodge development.

They are actually doing a different version of the build discussed on this thread, except with offsite build.

Do I have this wrong?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

14 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

How do you find out these things @Ferdinand?!

I did wonder at there being no mention of how they came about finding the plot!

however it was interesting to see the lodge being built off site then put back together again, a project for monied people though.

In this case the narrator mentioned Fritton Lake in the first few minutes, and Google has various things about this development as every entry on the first page of results for a search on ‘Fritton Lake’. Good SEO and ads.

Including the interesting back storey. It looks as if there will be 150 lodges, though that may be all of them not just these high end ones. There will have been a planning permission for change of use, though it may have been for caravans not 1000sqft lodges on wheels. I can see an outraged-of-lower-twisleton-under-piddle campaign against these by the likes of CPRE before long.

Lord and Lady Somerlyton stand to build a good endowment fund for their Estate, which must be good. 

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/fritton-lake-shuts-its-doors-on-day-visitors-ahead-of-becoming-a-private-holiday-resort-1-4961887

Though before  long, we may have a National Trust Version at Hardwick Hall.They have more land nationally and country estates than any ancient nobility.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

On 20/06/2019 at 21:03, iSelfBuild said:

Well after watching the impossible build I'm glad I'm assembling on site!

With regards to the disabled accessible bathroom I believe this complies - https://www2.gov.scot/resource/buildingstandards/2013Domestic/chunks/ch04s13.html

Hopefully I have interpreted the rules correctly as a side entrance toilet would allow:

1. Where allowing side transfer, a small wall-hung wash hand basin may project up to 300mm into the activity space in front of the WC.

This also allows a glass screen so the whole bathroom doesn't get soaked when showering ?

208341341_DisabledBathroom.thumb.png.5d5b1814aa5d205edb045621eb851bc8.png

@ProDave - What do you reckon? Have I interpreted the regs correctly?

I'm having nightmares about making the whole room a wet-room, partly in case of leaks but also I don't feel covering the logs with panel board is very wise as it will create an un-ventilated humid space which is just asking for rot. 

I'd prefer to have a shower tray and full width sliding doors. Is there any shower tray that is compliant or must it be 100% level?

20 minutes ago, iSelfBuild said:

@ProDave - What do you reckon? Have I interpreted the regs correctly?

I'm having nightmares about making the whole room a wet-room, partly in case of leaks but also I don't feel covering the logs with panel board is very wise as it will create an un-ventilated humid space which is just asking for rot. 

I'd prefer to have a shower tray and full width sliding doors. Is there any shower tray that is compliant or must it be 100% level?

I think you will be okay as long as the door opens outwards so does not swing over an activity space.

Don't forget you can have the front access WC activity space, there is a clause saying the activity space does not need to be in line with the axis of the toilet, so it can slew round a few degrees so the activity space misses the basin.

But why are you bothering with this and why are BC being a pain?  This is being built as a "caravan" so all BC have to do is check the drain connection. The rest is outwith building control.

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think you will be okay as long as the door opens outwards so does not swing over an activity space.

Don't forget you can have the front access WC activity space, there is a clause saying the activity space does not need to be in line with the axis of the toilet, so it can slew round a few degrees so the activity space misses the basin.

But why are you bothering with this and why are BC being a pain?  This is being built as a "caravan" so all BC have to do is check the drain connection. The rest is outwith building control.

Thank you!

BC have told me that they disagree with my classification that this is a caravan and that they want to refer it to 'Local Authority Building Standards Scotland'

Partly down to it being 200mm round log rather than the usual 70mm type chalets. The main reason is that I originally proposed to build the unit in one whole piece, which I agree is taking the Michael a little - they wanted a structural engineers report to say it was capable of being lifted in one piece. 

Since changing the location of the bathroom I have looked at the space on offer and feel that there is more value to be had by adding a single bedroom in place of the store room. I can still have a cupboard in there with ironing board, mop, hoover etc. LPG boiler will be relocated to cupboard in the hallway. Water pumping station could be housed underneath the cabin and to be honest is probably better there as when pressurising it's noisy! 

Garden furniture/cushions can be stored underneath the cabin as there will be a 6m x 8m space with about 1.3m headroom.

YAY or NAY?

997341192_3Bed.thumb.png.91c6171ecb2c721e7e6250a8f9d89964.png

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi I'm looking to build a mobile home log cabin but dont know where to start with getting the drawings from. We want to do a 65ft x 23ft but need to ensure we construct it correctly to comply with caravans act. Are you able to help at all? Many thanks