Jump to content

Onoff

Members
  • Posts

    21173
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    206

Everything posted by Onoff

  1. Been there done that, well on a similar vein. Instructed to change all the fixings because of believed hydrogen embrittlement. Without a crane we had to cut the old ones (pointing down) out. New ones were fitted pointing up. Couldn't use a grinder because of the roof finish so had to use a sabre saw. Got started and the manufacturer decided we didn't have to change the bolts in fact.
  2. The frame is up where it's staying (wind dependent, I will guy rope it). Not quite as square as I'd like looking end on but the ridge is pretty level. Might revisit the squareness. Covered the trench in some Correx sheets to keep everything warm and moist. Figured it should speed up the layers of grass cuttings etc in there rotting a bit quicker.
  3. Look at a set of spanners, they're all different lengths. I believe this comes from years back. The idea being the average man, putting the average force "F" on that particular spanner, puts the correct 'ish torque on that particular sized nut. Length of spanner "D" being the variable. As said above Torque = Force X Distance.
  4. Not happening. Too many friendly critters here. Slow worms, hedgehogs, toads etc.
  5. Cheers, good advice and I need all the help I can get. Complete newbie at this. Finally a use for these pvc pipe off cuts and the red will match the bean flowers! A bit of pea shingle in the bottom to set them level (with the post and spirit levels). I put a disc of landscape fabric down each then backfill with flints. Might top off with another bit of fabric and smidge of pea shingle for effect. Hopefully the frame will then sit dead level. Appreciate the advice ref the sail. I'll either guy them or anchor in some way to the eventual netted, box section frame that'll go over the top of the whole patch. These are the seeds I have: Will plant in pots today/tomorrow. Any tips, inside/outside, under glass etc?
  6. They say don't open old wounds...
  7. Stop looking, you've found me!
  8. Bet I win on the shame front. 3 benches, all a state.
  9. Ah! I thought it went with the oil.
  10. My lad and I will be travelling to Gloucester one Saturday soon.
  11. It was in reference to his last place in Kent where he gave away loads of stuff on Freegle etc. A lot from when the old house came down, when he changed from oil etc. Mind he helped me out with a few bits. For example some parts for the Geberit wall hung WC. Everytime I have a sh!t I think of him!
  12. How much was it you gave away with the tank (at today's prices)?
  13. I'm guessing he might mean distributing them around the place pre lifting?
  14. Gave in and bought 1000L. Just over £1K.
  15. Definitely good for the soul this gardening lark. Bloody hard work hand raking the soil back in that the digger took out! I've a couple of jumbo bags of flints I've taken out. Nearly there. The site of the patch is on a bit of a slope and that offends me a bit. I think some of this is about control, or at least controlling what I can in life. A shrink would have a field day As I want to build a box section frame over it I think square and level is best. Rough plan is to surround the patch in sleepers but have them set level. Not sure if I've enough like the one shown, might have to dismantle the play pit that's made from them. SWMBO I think has this mad idea that one day she'll have grandkids playing in the same sandpit, with the same (now brittle) toys ours did. Some chance, one rarely goes out and I think the other bats for the other side! I'm thinking the sleeper set a walkway's width from the trench. Not sure whether to set the tubular bean frame in the dirt or place the 6 legs on some sort of padstones? Basically an A frame, one side shown missing the two end verticals. Will beans grow up "wires" like conduit singles? Wondering how SWMBO will react if I ask for an expensive hoe for my birthday?
  16. Chap I know from working with an NZ firm for a bit built his own crane when he built his place there:
  17. Where are you roughly?
  18. You could likely use that run off pipe as the pivot point. Then an arm to the floating paddle wheel or whatever. One issue might be debris coming down the burn and snagging/taking it out.
  19. What's the derelict structure across the stream from your cabin? Has an old ladder poking out.
  20. That's not a tree it's a mirror!
  21. Says the king of manscaping!
  22. Have the video camera and at least you might get £250 if it all goes t!ts up!
  23. Something like..... .....strap a couple of 4.8m scaffold boards atop the Genie arms, parallel to the roofs. You need to get the load dead centre. Lay 3 decent ratchet straps across the boards. Handball the roll onto the boards so if 5.5m you'll only have 350mm overhanging each end. The ratchet straps will be under the roll. Lift to height. Ideally a tad higher than the roof. Next strap 3 more boards from the "Genie" boards, to the roof. Ladder job to get up there. Roll off down the slope and watch it go straight across the roof and off the opposite edge! 😂
  24. Strap an engine hoist / floor crane atop the joists?
×
×
  • Create New...