-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Does your cousin 55 times removed work for the company? If so ..... don't.
-
Thanks for the outrage. I'd have to prove that I had lost money (or suffered some other harm) because of the transgression. And frankly, I haven't lost money: but wounded, deeply wounded I am (not)
-
You're asking for a bespoke door. You'll need to network for a decent local woodworker who has a proper woodworking shop - not a local chippy. Networking takes time. Ask a proper old fashioned timber supplier for suggestions: you know the sort of timber supplier - proper old fashioned - doesn't have a website, phone is only ever answered at 7:30 in the morning, and when you eventually get there, nobody is on site (yes there is, but are completely covered in wood dust: perfectly camouflaged). They'll know who should make you a good door - because the woodworker in mind uses that timber supplier for the raw material. Locally for us its T K Knipe. Impossible to find unless you know.
- 10 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- front door
- solid oak
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Thats the one: headaches all round.
-
Is there a stop-tap inside the house ? Because if there is, thats yer low-cost belt and brassieres answer .....
-
Hello @Jules : 10% + , cheaper elsewhere : common story. I'd love to import some German stuff ; but https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/brexit-import-goods-into-gb-from-eu--customs---vat.html
-
Quite. And many of us are wincing with you at the memory of our own battles . You are in very good company. In relation to the contract: Talk. Face to face State the problem clearly, and briefly Be clear about your end in mind Document the arguments put, and outcome (or lack of) achieved Follow up on deliverables Document everything and start a time-line (for future reference) In relation to the kitchen Ours is de-mountable (IKEA's finest) A decent chippy will be able to repurpose almost anything thats already in situ. In relation to getting some sleep Exercise Post on BH for support. Here, you are in very good company indeed. Ian
-
Welcome. Thank you very much for doing some of your own research. You'll know by now how often we get asked exactly the same questions, its just that the words are in a different order. Have you discovered the search system that we have on this board? Its quite powerful. Just in case you haven't, here's an example relating to your post above. https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/search/?q=32mm&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles
-
and or do what happened to us: take someone else's survey (available online f.o.c) and then copy and paste the (suitably edited) results - present them as your own survey results. (references supplied on request). Saves a good deal of money that .... This is the key thing Choose your ecologist carefully.
-
Which ICF method should I use?
ToughButterCup replied to Indy's topic in Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF)
Neither. A builder who builds using your choice of ICF all the time. -
Which ICF method should I use?
ToughButterCup replied to Indy's topic in Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF)
Yes. Visit a couple of sites of each type and watch the installs. Then decide. We used Durisol. The only reason I'd use the same again is because I know what to look for, what to avoid and how to fix it when [....] happens. All the other types mentioned are perfectly adequate for anyone's needs: they would not have survived in the market if they'd been wanting in any way. -
Electric instant hot water heater in garage
ToughButterCup replied to MrH's topic in Introduce Yourself
This is how we have solved the problem, @MrH Exactly the same specification as you have given above..... -
At home, how much more electricity are we consuming
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
18% -
At home, how much more electricity are we consuming
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
But this surprised me .... Both documents available here (Downloaded 20th Feb 2022) https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/sub-national-electricity-and-gas-consumption-summary-report-2020 Apologies for asking on BH rather than doing my own legwork first.? -
At home, how much more electricity are we consuming
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
I was wondering whether anyone had done some generalised number crunching on additional domestic electricity consumption. -
Has anyone seen generalised data about how much more electricity the average household has consumed since the onset of COVID? I realise that not everyone has been able to work from home, and that others have - against their will - been required to do so. If you have seen some numbers online, could you link to that data source please?
-
Typically this issue is ignored: people put in what they've seen other people do. And mostly what they've installed is wrong. There are several good books, of which this is the best, I found I worked hard on our build to get the right lighting level because SWMBO is partly photophobic: the wrong (excessive) lighting levels actually hurt her. Too little light and I struggle because my eyes aren't what they once were. This online resource will help you decide ; I installed double the recommended lumen levels in work areas, but made sure I could switch half of them off. I also made sure that the GU10s we used were installed in recessed holders so the bright sparkle of the light from the surface of the lens (as opposed to the beam) was shielded.
-
Thanks for posting: my post does not answer yours above - but I doubt you have anything to worry about. Could I ask you please what the brand of fixings are for the fireboard fitted between the joist flanges?
-
Drainage Problem - New Build
ToughButterCup replied to BenDW's topic in Landscaping, Decking & Patios
Yes. Tell the builder straight away. Like Monday morning sharpish. Talk to your immediate neighbours: see if your problem is common to the gardens all round you. (What's the point of you shunting your problem into someone else's garden? ) When you know the answer to that question make (or get the builders to make ) a French drain to somewhere sensible. Be prepared for a long paperwork fight. Look at the drainage plan submitted by the builders in their planning application : I bet you they've submitted any old plan and then forgotten about it because Building Control simply aren't interested or were paid not to be. Cynical? Me? Naaaah -
We have a Solis 1P3K - 4G fitted to a MyEnergi Diverter which shunts power via an EDDI to our a SunAmp (13Kw) Both Solis and MyEnergi say they have apps which document how much PV is being created and where its going to. And both the apps are installed on my phone. Both apps are a complete waste of disk space. They either don't work (SOLIS) or were designed by drunk first year undergraduate coders to whom the notion of usability has yet to be introduced (EDDI) But a comment by @MikeGrahamT21 gives me hope - well a bit of hope I would love access to that data if possible. We are connected to the inverter via WiFi I've been all over the Internet, YT, discussion groups (MyEnergi's discussion group is like a desert with wind in it) tried to make the apps work. And now, more in hope than expectation, I'm asking if someone here can point me to an authoritative online resource. All I would like to know is exactly, for any given period, how much solar PV energy we produce and how much of that total is being consumed by our SunAmp? I don't need bells, I don't need whistles, sexy graphics are often distracting waste of time: just simple numbers or maybe even a graph or two would be lovely.
-
Help me ter fix this please.....
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Super @ProDave strikes again (see his post immediately above) Oh, the simplicity, the elegance ..... I never thought a self tapping screw could bring so much joy........ -
Help me ter fix this please.....
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Have a guess what's happened to my electricity meter box door Dave? 1 guess, can't phone a friend. Correct -
Anyway to re-enforce roof tiles?
ToughButterCup replied to TheMick's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
The answer in West Cork is to throw a net over the roof and tie that down with massive boulders. Not for you? Thought not.
