Warranty issue with solar pv

Shell820810

The company we purchased from has dissolved. We still have our 25 year warranty with the manufacturer. I got a call today from another company who has been given our details from the company we bought from. He is offering to inspect the systen and re-register the warranty for £100, so that we are not left in the lurch.

He says the system would be due a service now anyway (we haven't been doing anything with it, but hubby is an electrician so could do it I assume).

It's fronius and sharp systems we have, are they hard to deal with directly?

Is there any merit to spending £100 on this?? What's not to say this crowd don't dissolve in the near future too?

Be interested in hearing what they think there is to "service" on a non-serviceable system like PV, too.  Smacks of someone trying it on to me. 

Lots of people with PV installations are now in a position where any extended warranty they may have had from the installer has disappeared, as a consequence of so many installers going bust when the big subsidy bubble collapsed.  We're in the same boat, but frankly I'm not that bothered, as there's nothing to service with a PV installation and I accepted from the start that any warranty probably wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

A service? Like an oil change?

Worst that happens is they get a bit dusty until next time it rains.

However I can see that a large number of PV owners are not as savvy as this community and could well be bilked for some meaningless activity.

Thanks, i did think I wasn't getting anything for my money but just wanted a second opinion!

And I do think think it was a tactic to fleece unsuspecting people. Rhymed off all the spiel about them having to check it and service it so they could stand over the warranty, "so which day suits to come out".

I questioned why I was getting charged £100 for a warranty I already had with the manufacturer, and he said the manufacturer will just revert me back to them if an issue arises.

Edited by Shell820810

1 minute ago, Alexphd1 said:

Agree with Jeremy. It would be interesting if you could a ask them to put down in black and white/email exactly what a £100 solar pv service includes. 

I'd expect there would be a man poking about on a ladder for 20 mins, plug a whatsit into your socket and then, with much shaking of head and sucking of teeth, tell you that the inverter's had it, system needs re-calibrating and the panels could do with a nanotech polish, and he'll do you a bargain price of £2000 to put it all right.

Who was the old and who is this new company? Let's do some digging!

My chippy mate, Mr A Mug, was approached by a company ref his existing pv system. They've sold him some storage batteries that are sat on carpet tiles in his loft. Edit: It was a crowd called Energy Target, added 3 panels and a battery, £5K.

Anglian Windows cold called on his doorstep and he's bought all new 2G PVCu windows.....to replace his existing 2G PVCu windows. Tw@t didn't even get 3 quotes! 

Still I scored his old front door that's now my new back door! 

Edited by Onoff

45 minutes ago, Shell820810 said:

Out if interest, do you wash your panels?

When the birds Make a mess on mine I hit them with the hose. Maybe another 2 times a year depending on what way the wind blows when the combines are throwing up loads of dust.

I think I got mine from the same crowd so will wait patiently for the phone call. 

• Like 1

I cleaned ours around a year or so ago, as they had acquired a thin film of what looked like algae or lichen.  It seemed to make a small difference, but it's hard to be sure.  They could probably do with another clean now, TBH.  Last time I borrowed a window washer pole and brush, one of the water fed ones.  Did a reasonably good job of cleaning them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Declan52 said:

When the birds Make a mess on mine I hit them with the hose.

nice of them to sit there long enough for you to get the hose out, suppose you need to be careful not to break the panels whilst doing it. ?

• Like 1

See also this thread. There are some scammers out there.

Check if your 25 year warranty requires regular inspections or servicing.

I'm a retired electronics engineer and question if some/many inverters will last 25 years.

The potential problem with inverters is the life time of the capacitors they use(d). 

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-and-events/articles/capacitors-play-a-key-role-in-renewable-energy

The life time of some capacitors is perhaps 10 thousand hours at a Max temperature of 105C. That's only 1 year. However it doubles for every 10C below that rated temperature. So if they use 105C rated capacitors operated at say 60C that's about four doublings or 16 years. If at 50C that's 32 years. 

This is almost certainly a marketing scam, or outright fraud

http://www.solarsense-uk.com/news/latest-news/posts/2018-/july-2018/beware-of-solar-scams.aspx

Etc

There's been a lot around us recently

Our elderly neighbour got a call saying her solar was causing problems for the grid and they'd be around to fix it. She called the police who turned up just after the guy had walked away.

She has solar thermal water, not PV...