Coooorrrrr this is hard

Guys !

Decided to start Monday with an easy job ( or so I thought )

Need to core 150mm hole . Have core drill and cutter .

Vibrates like f - as you can see from the attempt it’s going all over the place . Have ‘arbour ‘ - think that’s what it is called .

I don’t take out the drill bit do I ? As I assume that acts as a guide .

Any advice welcome !

3BA6E4B8-91C8-45A2-9A32-7C0B2C5C12B3.jpeg

497039AF-EA61-4E36-AEE2-28502BD019EA.jpeg

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Have you got it switched to hammer..?

Nope ! First thing I checked .

All the videos make it look easy ! - assume they are cutting through thermalite !

I’m knackered and about 1cm in !!!

I'm with you on this one.

Trying to get 4 threaded bars out of the concrete in our ICF, I thought a core drill would be best. It wasn't. An 8mm, then a 12mm, followed by 16mm SDS drill did the job quickly.

Maybe you need a perfectly circular  hole, but 'stitch-drilling'  is quicker and easier. And less annoying.

Why less annoying? The EPC cut-out operated so frequently, and while on EPC, the drill only operates at 70% of full revs.

• Thanks 1

I've had to do a few core holes now.

My advice is 1- get someone else to do it or 2 - You start with a pilot hole using drill bit of same size as the core bit pilot. Then using a drill with a clutch but without a hammer setting, push firmly, try to keep is going fast and it will start to cut a sharp line. once about 10 - 15mm in. Take out the drill and remove the core pilot bit. Then carry on as you were. If it start to jam when you get deeper it will be because you've gone off on the piss slightly. Best bet there is to withdraw the drill and slowly go back in regrinding the surface slightly larger/straighter. 

Aim to keep the drill going fast at a low pressure rather than slow with high pressure. You get a knack for it after a while.

Edited by AdamSee

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I would say that bit isn't helping. There isn't much of the diamond stuff on it.

https://www.redbanduk.co.uk/102-to-152mm-o-d-wet-diamond-core-bit-1-1-4-unc-female

You would have been better hiring a complete unit like this pro drill and bit n this page.

https://www.hss.com/hire/c/breaking-and-drilling/diamond-drills

And there I was being ‘clever’ buying a 2nd hand Makita core drill and new core bits .

Almost at half way - knackered lol .

Will take my time ( like I have a choice ) and just get this 1 home done today .

1 minute ago, AdamSee said:

I've had to do a few core holes now.

My advice is 1- get someone else to do it or 2 - You start with a pilot hole using drill bit of same size as the core bit pilot. Then using a drill with a clutch but without a hammer setting, push firmly, try to keep is going fast and it will start to cut a sharp line. once about 10 - 15mm in. Take out the drill and remove the core pilot bit. Then carry on as you were. If it start to jam when you get deeper it will be because you've gone off on the piss slightly. Best bet there is to withdraw the drill and slowly go back in regrinding the surface slightly larger/straighter. 

Thanks 

Part of the issue is i’m Up against the ceiling - so trying to get the hole up there . Makes it awkward / impossible to get my body behind it . Will persevere just because I want to post a photo of it complete !!! ?

Just now, pocster said:

Thanks 

Part of the issue is i’m Up against the ceiling - so trying to get the hole up there . Makes it awkward / impossible to get my body behind it . Will persevere just because I want to post a photo of it complete !!! ?

I've had to do a few like yours, right up by a ceiling. There the worst kind to do. You need a buddy to take over when you get tired. Just don't push it too hard, it really wont help. Keep it square  to the wall and fast, You could chain drill it, and then core it. out. Never done it like that before so I don't know how easy that is to do.

We had some done at the work recently to get soil samples from below the warehouse foundations. Guy turned up with a 10/12" bit. Made light work of 14" of concrete. It was a big system and bolted to the floor. Wish I had one :(

12 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Congratulations you've done it! So how long did it take to do one?

Just out of curiosity....why do you need to do another 18 holes? you making a weird crazy golf setup of something?

This is the largest . 150mm for pipework to ASHP . They also need another 100mm one for the ufh pipework . So worst one done . Took about 4 hours in total with rests ?

Edited by pocster

4 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

I was pretty chuffed that the last time I did one I managed to not blow the render outside the house.

It is worth going straight through with the centre drill bit then drilling the last bit from the outside to make a neat job, unless you are a plumber so you can just smack a hole through and leave it to someone else to make good.

1 hour ago, pocster said:

This is the largest . 150mm for pipework to ASHP . They also need another 100mm one for the ufh pipework . So worst one done . Took about 4 hours in total with rests ?

If it's took that long then you need a better core bit. 

If it's only block then just stitch it with a masonry bit then use a the heavy hammer to burst it through. 

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

If it's took that long then you need a better core bit. 

If it's only block then just stitch it with a masonry bit then use a the heavy hammer to burst it through. 

But I have the drill and bits now. Determination will allow the others to happen. It's a heavy workout - no gym today! ?

16 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

It is worth going straight through with the centre drill bit then drilling the last bit from the outside to make a neat job, unless you are a plumber so you can just smack a hole through and leave it to someone else to make good.

Unfortunately I couldn't get to it from the outside to do the drilling. Had to do it all internally. 

15 hours ago, pocster said:

But I have the drill and bits now. Determination will allow the others to happen. It's a heavy workout - no gym today! ?

They get easier as you get the hang of it. Will probably find that by the end of it each one only takes 20 mins.