Building in provision for a later ASHP.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been of interest to me. 

We have mains gas through the site and that was our default choice. We then thought that if the build was going ok and the budget under control we could swap the gas boiler to an ASHP.  A brief chat to the planners about this, we are in a conservation area, got the following response. To build in now an ASHP would require a fresh PA with consultation. We know from experience that this process takes nearly double the subscribed 8 weeks which would impact the program. Alternatively under permitted development we could install it but PD could only be applicable once the house is completed. On further questioning it was confirmed that effectively we would have to fit a heating system to complete the house. Get the house signed off then rip out the heating system and replace with an ASHP. Amazing. Any thoughts on how with minimum expense and disruption I can address this conundrum?

Fit an outside oil fired system boiler driving UFH and an indirect unvented hot water tank.  That will then be an easy swap for an ASHP.

But for all the cost and waste of doing that I would just go for the planning permission for the ASHP.  You can carry on with the build while that application gets processed.

28 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Could you not do as @TerryE and run your heating from a Willis heater (cheap in line electric water heater) and he is looking to change it out to an ASHP later, I am sure Terry will be along in a mo.

Probably the least wasteful plan (particularly as you could keep the in-line heater as a backup) but might not work with SAP, could finish up with too high emissions depending on the house construction.

2 hours ago, Lots2learn said:

Alternatively under permitted development we could install it but PD could only be applicable once the house is completed. On further questioning it was confirmed that effectively we would have to fit a heating system to complete the house

Fit whatever was going to be your Plan B for when the boiler breaks (even electric panels or fan heaters(?) ), and get completed with that, then do it afterwards.

F

9 hours ago, Lots2learn said:

it was confirmed that effectively we would have to fit a heating system to complete the house.

As the guys say one or two Willis heaters will cost under a £100.  We've got a decent spec 4  double bedroom house, and we keep it toasty over winter with one Willis heater, and as F say the advantage is that having this makes your ASHP non-critical in terms of maintenance: if it goes offline even for a month in the winter the incremental cost is in the £10s.

• Like 1