How to quieten a fridge freezer in an open-plan living room?

Dreadnaught

I went with a Samsung F/F a few months back with an inverter. While it's certainly not silent, it makes a different selection of noises to an old-fashioned refrigeration unit. There are no sudden clunk/hums as the compressor starts, but as the compressor is variable-speed the hum ramps up and down markedly.

Anecdotally, the more modern refrigerants seem to make more noise as they make their way around the innards of the appliance, and frost-free means you're going to have one or more fans whirring away inside...

On 09/04/2019 at 10:43, Dreadnaught said:

Open plan kitchen. How could I reduce the noise of fridge freezer's compressor (while keeping the back of the fridge ventilated of course)? 

Ideas:

1. A short stud wall section beside the fridge freezer?
  2. Sound-absorbent foam behind

Any better ideas?

(By the way, ignore the kitchen design. Its just a rough draft.)

image.thumb.png.92155c97b8491c768c056181b48e752f.png

Not to sound cheeky, but, is it older and or a more budget model? Maybe not, maybe it is just noisy.

I would say most fridges/freezers now are more or less silent... 

Linear compressor models are usually quiet.

Edited by Carrerahill

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Does the type of compressor make much of a difference.

Piston

Screw

Scroll

Hermetic

the answer is yes. Ish...

I don't know if any domestic refrgeration has anything other than a piston compressor, and they're all "hermetic", that's the metal can it's sitting in...

Just now, dpmiller said:

I don't know if any domestic refrgeration has anything other than a piston compressor,

I don't know enough about fridges at all.

We have 3 at work, one is very quiet (Bush), one is just a basic, cheap, domestic one and seems quiet enough. (Currys)  The bigger, posh fridge, is very noisy, but it is about 12 years old now (Liebherr).

Just now, dpmiller said:

The Liebherr probably needs a new fan, if it's sitting up on top of the unit...

Had that. 

It every now and again, makes a deep rumbling noise.

I do wish they would put an air release valve on the door so you don't have to wait wait 30 seconds to open if after shutting it.

My fridge will be in the open plan living room/kitchen, under the kitchen island. It will be a larder fridge only; the freezer will be in the utility room.

I am now planning to surround the back of the fridge with sound-absorbant foam panels. I got the idea from @ProDaveAnd I will buy a decent fridge with a low decibel rating. It is helpful that all appliances now have a decibel rating (although I am not sure how definitive are the figures).

I know that even quite noises can become intrusive in a well-insulated airtight house as the background noise levels are so much lower, but hopefully these measures will do the trick.

4 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

I am now planning to surround the back of the fridge with sound-absorbant foam panels. I got the idea from @ProDaveAnd I will buy a decent fridge with a low decibel rating. It is helpful that all appliances now have a decibel rating (although I am not sure how definitive are the figures).

I'm sure you're aware of this, but for the avoidance of any doubt (and for anyone coming along later who doesn't know), the insulation is put onto the surfaces of the walls around the fridge, not on the fridge itself. A decent gap is needed between the insulation and the fridge to allow airflow to take the heat away.  

• Thanks 1