Insulation time!

Crofter

The other day a big lorry turned up from secondsandco, with my thousand poundsworth of insulation aboard. This is a pretty massive saving compared to normal retail price, but the downside is that some of the boards are a bit short, a small number have voids, and- more difficult to deal with- some are a bit below the required thickness. The first two issues can be dealt with, but thin boards will affect my finished wall dimension and will mean lots of farting about with different widths of batten, or packers, etc.

Anyway, first question: top tips for installing insulation without getting all itchy? I've got both glasswool and PIR boards to do.

Second question: the boards will be held in place by battens (this will also form the eventual service cavity) but I will need something to temporarily hold them in place first. I've come across various insulation clips that seem to be designed for fitting to wall ties etc. All I really need is something like a giant washer that I can stick a screw into.

How long do the boards need to be temporarily held in place? We are currently having our EWI fitted.  The builders are using Everbuild Pinkgrip foam to position and hold the boards before mechanically fixing.  Is foam an option you would consider?

They use two types of fixing, the first is a long screw with large plastic washer (which screws into the plastic formers in the ICF block, the second type being longer plastic plug type fixings which are drilled into the concrete core.  Obviously it's going to be the former you are looking at.  

Quick thought, if it's only temporary, (and depending on the depth of your boards) buy a pack of washers and long screws, one in each corner until you get the battens on?

The boards are being fitted internally, onto the studs, and will help stop the glasswool falling out of the frame.

I need to hold them in place until I have installed the vapour barrier, which will go under the battens. So it could be a few weeks, thinking realistically.

I don't think foam would really work, it needs to be screws that can pull the boards down tight onto the studs.

Ordinary washers could work, of course, but the bigger the better and I am hoping some sort of big lightweight plastic thing will be available and not cost too much.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

These are what you need https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-x-insulation-plastic-washers/dp/B011ETWAAI

I have used thousands of them to fix my wood fibre board to my house. Mine are actually a different make (rawlplug) but look very similar. Search for "insulation washer" and you will find them.

Ah that's the ticket, thanks!

Any tips on keeping the itching at bay??

17 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Too late if you have already bought it, but avoid glass wool. Used Knauf Earthwool frametherm 35 instead, MUCH nicer to work with. I got a very good price for it from SIG in Inverness.

It's also much stiffer than glass wool so when you push it into place between the studs, it says there, even on the 45 degree  sloping ceilings.

Yes the Earthwool is nice stuff, that's what went on under the floor. But I needed to keep the cost down for the bigger area of the walls and roof and went with the 'wallclad' that secondsandco had on offer. It's not nice stuff to work with. Between that and the midges my poor epidermis doesn't stand a chance.

On 26 August 2016 at 13:07, Crofter said:

The best thing is to buy yourself a decent spray suit. Something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MICROSAFE-LARGE-BOILER-Disposable-Coveralls/dp/B00L38JPZO/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1472501323&sr=1-1&keywords=spray+suit

nitrile gloves on your hands and then masking tape the sleeves to the gloves.

Add to that a decent dust mask and goggles and you'll be reasonably OK.

Now for the most important part........wash with COLD water after you've finished. Hot water opens the pores of your skin and makes the itching worse! 

I'd keep the glass wool in its wrapper as much as possible 

Cut it outside and staple it in sections.

I.e. have your insulation board cut and ready for a section then staple in the glass wool and get it covered up quickly. This will keep the fibres down.

Plus one to a cool shower...

Those coveralls look the business, thanks. I've been using an old waterproof with elasticated cuffs but it gets pretty sweaty inside.

I couldn't find any suitable gloves on Screwfix/Toolstation- long sleeves to allow enough overlap, but not too heavy. Have resorted to PVC gauntlets just so I can get started but they'll be unpleasant on a hot day.

I've been using spray on contact adhesive to fix the glasswool into place, which I thought was working really well (apart from the fumes) but I went away for a few days and it all fell out!! So I think I'll need to have the boards ready to go straight after the wool. Waiting on the insulation washers and long screws arriving for that.