PP.. don't understand!

zoothorn

I share your frustration with the planning rules.

I had a quick look at your photos and I think your first issue is to work out if the proposed location is "forward of a wall forming the principal elevation" of your house. The principal elevation is normally the side facing the road but it's not 100% clear to me which elevation that is on your house. What looks like the side to us, the planners may call the principal elevation. You may have to get that determined by the planners.

13 minutes ago, Temp said:

What looks like the side to us, the planners may call the principal elevation. 

I thought they might consider that the principal elevation too ?. Personally I wouldn’t risk building there unless I had it in writing from the council. 

@Temp the box is stepped in 0.75m from the house front wall IE where my porch/ house front is. Also stepped in 0.5m from house back wall too.

So this large white house wall.. is the LH side of the house. The house front, faces SE in the map, across the narrow property width.

I don't know what 'principal elevation' means, but can you establish what it is from this info?

12 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

So I’m confused now. 

If you have planning permission for an extension, why not build within that area that already has consent. 

Well this is indeed a Q I have thought of. And my box will fall just inside the extension floor area (bar the back wall.. which is to be on the same line). But I certainly can't answer it, can anyone?

The trouble with my phoning the a PP officer/ dept, is I get a lot of info so fast I cannot generate it > Im scribbling down info I don't understand & get wrong/ stressful.  I was hoping if I made my Q's as clear, & slow as can be done on replies such as these.. I might be able to comprehend things.

Is my simple box to the side of my house, from the map & my photos, not clear for you guys to see the basic idea?

13 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

So I’m confused now. 

If you have planning permission for an extension, why not build within that area that already has consent. 

13 hours ago, Temp said:

Ok I hope this might make it clearer:

A) is the front of my house, front door/ porch/ windows etc. The roof ridge/ peak line drawn on.

B) is the box.

C) is 80's extention.

I've marked corners"1" and "2". Its corner 1 in fact that will be closest to road (red plan lines a wee bit off actually).

004.JPG

Edited by zoothorn

i think you aren't going to get the simple answer you want from us. Given that you have planning for an extension it is very likely that the planners would be happy with your new plan.

But given it is different to the approved plans and it doesn't seem like you can do the new plan B under permitted development (because it is so close to the road) in theory you need to go back to the planners.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Well this is indeed a Q I have thought of. And my box will fall just inside the extension floor area (bar the back wall.. which is to be on the same line). But I certainly can't answer it, can anyone?

The trouble with my phoning the a PP officer/ dept, is I get a lot of info so fast I cannot generate it > Im scribbling down info I don't understand & get wrong/ stressful.  I was hoping if I made my Q's as clear, & slow as can be done on replies such as these.. I might be able to comprehend things.

Is my simple box to the side of my house, from the map & my photos, not clear for you guys to see the basic idea?

Record the call?

52 minutes ago, jfb said:

But given it is different to the approved plans and it doesn't seem like you can do the new plan B under permitted development (because it is so close to the road) in theory you need to go back to the planners.

I don't quite understand this jfb. If I have PP then I have been given permission to build the extention, why wouldn't it 'seem like you can do the new plan B'.. if it isn't going any closer to the road?

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

No facilities to do so.. good idea though.

There should be apps available, though both IPhone and Android can record incoming calls.

Or use something like Skype on your PC, and record that.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

There should be apps available, though both IPhone and Android can record incoming calls.

Or use something like Skype on your PC, and record that.

F

Ah Ive no idea about 'apps'/ dont have a (modern) mobile.. & no idea about skype/ never used it either (not quite understanding the idea.. isnt that a video thing?) no camera device in or on my laptop.

On the PP issue, a couple more things.

- These days houses on corners can easily get described as having TWO Principal Elevation, on the basis that both face the road and the public have to look at them. You can then get the restrictions on both sides. Sorry.

- On the boundary, no map will tell you exactly where the boundary is due to thickness of lines etc, unless it is a special Determined boundary with professional surveys and things, with agreement from both sides. Since yours is with a road that will not he in place.

- The General Boundaries Rule  https://www.tanfieldchambers.co.uk/2018/02/22/the-general-boundaries-rule-land-registry-plans/ states this. the precise boundaries is determined by what is written in your deeds, and ‘boundary features’ on the ground (in your case the old hedge and the edge of the road), and then they ie a Surveyor if it is critical to know the exact place, make a judgement.

ferdinand

You definitely need planning permission to build anything between B and the road, eg in that box on your drawing. That's because of paragraph/point 3 here...

https://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/advice/advice_apply/advice_apply_homes/advice_around_home/advice_home_structures.htm

3. No part of the shed / greenhouse / building is in front of the principal or side elevation of the original house that faces onto a road.

It seems clear to me that B is (at least) a side elevation facing a road.

Edit: in fact side C is the only place you could put an outbuilding without planning permission as all other elevations face a road.

Edited by Temp

I agree with the above an outbuilding in area B is highly unlikely to be Permitted Development.  But as you have an existing planning permission as long as what you are building is not too controversial in design terms it should be an easy application to get approved.  If it is less than 15m2 or is less than 30m2 and 1m from the boundary you will not need to worry about building regs.  You can go up to 30m2 within 1m but then get in to it having to be "constructed substantially of non-combustible materials".  You say it will be 3.5m x 4.5m, ie over 15m2, but you also say it will be block and cladding so you may be OK within a meter anyway, depending on whether they get interested in the cladding aand what view the BC officer takes of "substantially".

It is explained here https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

Hope that helps.