mobile /caravan prior to new build

Peter Sale

Hi All, I'm new on here and would appreciate some information.  I have full planning permission to build within my Walled garden (it's within the curtilage of a listed building).  The problem is that there is at present no access into the garden (ransom negotiation for access have come to a halt due to the person dying) except via a 1.22m doorways. I understand that one can have a mobile home/caravan erected in the garden.  we need this to temporarily live there while building goes on, after having sold the house the road outside terminates at our wall,  so there is the possibility of craning something over, but it would be in the wrong place to site the mobile home.  does anybody have experience of this type of problem or know where one can get this done/

our neighbours at nearby barn had their static craned over (old wall was protected so couldn't knock it down).  Access down our private drive very tight for big lorry carrying it then they had to park sideways on crane it over and turn it 180 in the air and bring it down into a very tight space I watched the whole thing, was impressive.  Perhaps better to have a static brought in on back of a lorry with a crane fited rather than tow a mobile and have a separate crane.

Experienced operators can sort most things

thank you Big Nill and Ferdinand. that makes it easier for me in the future to crane things in over the wall.   No, I can't just knock the 3M high wall down. once the 1m ransom strip has been sorted, then a gate will be inserted but that is in the future. I need the Temp housing in now.
I have been told that they can assemble a mobile home within a garden where there is very limited access.  Anybody know of any such company that performs this?

19 minutes ago, Peter Sale said:

Anybody know of any such company that performs this?

@Triassic had a log cabin built in his garden to live in during the build (with PP of course). Worth considering whether that’s an option? 

If you are craning a mobile home, you will need a lifting frame with spreader bars so the slings don't crush the caravan.

You will have to talk to crane hire companies. You will want a "contract lift" unless you know a qualified banksman and slinger to do the technical stuff for you. (we regularly hire a crane on a "crane hire" basis for boat lifts, but the harbour has it's own slings and trained slingers and banksmen)

As to siting the caravan. That depends on where on the plot you want it.  If the crane can handle the weight at the required reach, then it could be lifted directly to it's final position in one go.  But if where you want it is too far away that may dictate a very large crane, and then ground conditions for the crane to operate on become an issue and you may have to get a ground survey done first.

If you can only lift it immediately over the wall and then need to move it, you really need a vehicle inside the walled garden, which poses the same problem.  Mobile homes have very small wheels that pose a very high ground load, and unless the ground is very firm and dry, it will bog down easily.  To move it by hand, even with a lot of hands, would still need very level firm ground.

As above a sectional timber cabin might be a better option in this case.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

As above a sectional timber cabin might be a better option in this case.

Normally you could do a 30sqm cabin without PP, but I expect that because of the Listed Status you are probably clucked.

So it would be a sectional building on a movable chassis, or Planning Permission for a cabin.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying to all your useful comments.  I have been away and only just logged in again.  Thank you all for your comments much appreciated. !  think I may have solved the conundrum! I have full planning permission to build but, it came with 17 conditions attached!  one of which is that I could build but not occupy until some of the other condition have been fulfilled. I know some are unreasonable but I don't really want to fight it at the moment.   I have full permission to have a caravan/ mobile home sited until I have finished the builds and fulfilled all the conditions. Quite frankly, it going to take years to comply with them all so as long as I don't finish building everything I have permission, for I can continue to live in the mobile home.  So I am going to do the ground works for the annex and then place the mobile home, bigger than the annex, built to building regs placed on the site.