Quiet bathroom light switch suggestions please

Wall mounted switch outside the bathroom. ;)  

I hate pull cords, noisy, grubby things. I always look at the string in customers houses and just think of how many people have pulled that after not washing their hands. My favourite bit is the white string at the top which gets dirtier and dirtier the further towards the pull / weight until it's black. 

Pull cord?......no ta -_-

I put a PIR ( proper name : occupancy switch ) in my cloakroom so the kids don't need to do anything, ( other than swing the door open with 500% more force than necessary ), then leave and it goes off after 3 mins or so. Stays on as long as there is a bit of movement but if your, ahem, sat in the same position for a while then you'll be sat in the dark waving your hands eventually. 

For a cloakroom or shower room I'd say a good idea, but for a master or ensuite I'm not so sure. 

Anyone care to add their experiences ? 

I have the switch outside two of my bathrooms as for the same reasons above I didn't want a pull cord. It works well when you get used to it and the kids love it as when one is in the shower the other ones can turn the light out. 

We were thinking of having PIR in one of our en suites but decided against it because it you get up in the middle of the night you would be blinded by the light going on. So it will be a switch outside the door for us, no pull switches.

• Like 1

I've a pull cord in the en suite bathroom upstairs and for the very reason of noise I've a "proper" switch in the bedroom (Clipsal as they're really quiet anyway). I've a third switch on the landing outside the bedroom that's an intermediate. If I or the wife come to bed later than the other or one of the kids needs the loo in the night they can turn the bathroom light on BEFORE even entering the bedroom. Tbh the youngest manages to navigate in the dark and uses the pull cord anyway!

For the bath room I'd recommend some wall lights, that's what I have. I found a nice subtle candle type fitting from B&Q which I then changed to led lamps so they ran cooler ( the halogens supplied made the glass very hot and they were low enough to lean against innadvertantly ). They're on their own switch so the wife can lay in the bath with no glare from the spotlights. 

Led plinth lights at low level can do the same thing, and look super cool. I also put led strip lights under the mirrored cabinets to give extra 'mood' lighting and make such features of the room stand out. Looks the daschunds dangleies. 

• Like 2

Heres the most recent ones. 

This is is the mirrored cabinet with the chrome set in ready. Ignore the black gaffa tape lol.

Next I cut another piece of box section chrome plated trim to the width of the cabinet underside and stuck the led strip to it after soldering the wire on. 

image.jpg

I applied mitre bond glue and spray to fix the led strip loaded piece of chrome trim into place. This is the view looking upward at it. 

image.jpg

This is the view front on. 

image.jpg

I did the same on the top too. 5m of this 50/50 super bright strip on amazon for £13. Fill your boots. 

image.jpg

And all lit up :)  Looks the bollocks in the dark. The sticky-outy light that came with the cabinet is a marmite fitting tbh, I don't like them. Hey-ho. 

image.jpg

And behind the free standing bath you can see in the previous images I added these, for that jer-ner-say-kwa. ;)  

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bingo bango B|

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

600x300 wall 

450x450 floor 

The camera adds 10lbs :)  

Im finding beer is quite good at that too :)

Daft question........

ive never tiled with a tile that big. Is the job incrementally faster with a larger tile. I.e. Less tiles, less work. Or does the added complexity cancel it out?