Can this be right? (E7 tariff)

joe90

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Why does where you live make a difference to the tariff price? 

Network utilisation charges....

The local DNO are allowed to set the charges for their networks - based on size and type of network infra plus a few other factors. It’s a legacy from the old electricity boards where they all had to divvy up the cost of running the national grid ...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, newhome said:

Why does where you live make a difference to the tariff price? 

IIRC E7 was designed as a way to demand-shift the peak demand, so that power stations could be utilised more efficiently during the overnight dip.

From that viewpoint, they would need flexibility for Rates etc to tune to the different demand and generation mix in each area.

For example, for darker mornings in the Far North, or Air Conditioning (?) in the Far South, or commuting hours in the Smoke.

F

• Thanks 1

Thanks. It’s annoying though as my area always seems to be more expensive than others and it seems that @joe90‘s is too! Having said that look what my supplier shows my tariff as. Wonder if they’ll honour the zero night tariff? I suspect not. I also use way more energy than shown too! It must be quite a challenge for this company to find quite as many people who can’t code as they appear to employ given the state of their IT systems. I can’t view any bills either and I’m on an online only tariff ?

7BB8916C-D557-4123-8E43-5AE0C41576ED.thumb.png.7c1a2844d836e9ebe6bac35168bed2ae.png

One reason for introducing E7 was the shift to nuclear power stations in the 1960s and 70s.  Nuclear power stations can't shut down when demand drops, they have to be kept running, which created a potential problem for the grid, as there was a low demand during the night.  The solution was to encourage people to install night storage heaters and introduce a cheap rate to charge them, so allowing the grid to stay in better balance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Thanks. It’s annoying though as my area always seems to be more expensive than others and it seems that @joe90‘s is too! Having said that look what my supplier shows my tariff as. Wonder if they’ll honour the zero night tariff? I suspect not. I also use way more energy than shown too! It must be quite a challenge for this company to find quite as many people who can’t code as they appear to employ given the state of their IT systems. I can’t view any bills either and I’m on an online only tariff ?

7BB8916C-D557-4123-8E43-5AE0C41576ED.thumb.png.7c1a2844d836e9ebe6bac35168bed2ae.png

Shoulda’ moved to Mansfield!

Now comes with complimentary Tory MP.

It’s going up in the world. They had the Top Gear reserve team filming an item about the “Le Mans(field)” Race last week.

Not the kudos of Clown Shoes, Delilah, and the Chipmunk, but it is a start.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got this thread mixed up with “sizing ASHP” thread. Yes “Bulb” is cheaper than Octopus slightly but it is a variable rate whereas Octopus is 12month fixed rate so might be more secure as there are predictions of price rises afoot. I am going withfixed rate initially as I need to work out our load (I need an energy monitor) and be able to judge how much the ASHP uses to see if E7 is worth it for me.

Just switched to Octopus 12m fixed, I was recommended by current Octpous user @Oz07 so we both get £50 ? . Not going E7 yet as life is too hectic (outside building life,,,,,] but am going to think about it. I am going to monitor usage (using   @JSHarris link to power monitors) to see what the ASHP uses).

43 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Just switched to Octopus 12m fixed, I was recommended by current Octpous user @Oz07 so we both get £50 ? . Not going E7 yet as life is too hectic (outside building life,,,,,] but am going to think about it. I am going to monitor usage (using   @JSHarris link to power monitors) to see what the ASHP uses).

Bugger, I could have recommended you and got the £50.  Anyone else considering switching to Octopus?

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You got it fair and square this time. I am just "making it known" so I get the next one.

I think it’s good that anything like this is kept in house fir members

We are going to play the provider hop cashback game probably starting around June ourselves. Currently with Bulb and will likely end up back with them come the end of the game.

If therefore anyone wants to forward me their link for any providers, where we both get some sort of incentive, feel free to inbox me.

It's unlimited referrals with octopus. Jeremy I might use your link and switch. I'm pretty sure the price difference in energy will not swallow the referral up in a hurry. I plan to move soon anyway 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

They estimate 90 pcm whereas I gov octopus 55 and just recently had 600 back in credit 

They will be doing their estimation based on normal houses, not our energy efficient ones so they will get it wrong IMO. I will be supplying readings and asking for the money back quickly explaining about our energy efficient house.

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, I meant how many times could I get away with swooping supplier at £50 a time ?

Keep swapping between Bulb and Octopus.

Would have to stay with an alternative for 12 months if you have previously been with Octopus 

8.2.4 The person you refer has been a customer of Octopus Energy within the last 12 months;

• Thanks 1

Not energy but I’ve made a fair bit of cash over the years swapping between different things; credit cards for the welcome bonuses, current accounts for the switching bribes, 12 month bonuses on savings accounts, sign up bonuses for a number of different things etc. As time goes on I can be bothered less and less tbh but these things are there for the taking if you are organised and can be bothered.