Heritage input

nod

Hi my name is Gary

I'm due to start our self build in Preston Lancs in about six weeks

We intend building a 260 sq mtrs house Along with two double garages

We have submitted drainage and building regs

There were a few conditions Which hopefully we have addressed

But what has unnerved me is that there is a couple of paragraphs from the Heritage people

saying that they would prefer windows and facia a certain style and material

Its the later that concerns me While I have a healthy budget for frames and doors

Ive no desire to spend time repainting each year

The passed planning permission states white upvc

I spoke to Heritage and told them I intended using a white wood grained sash type frame

The reiterated there recommendation and stated that they would prefer a hardwood

PAITED WHITE

The question I am asking How enforceable is there recommendation

Or is it simply what they would prefer

Ps Id just found ebuild six months ago when We had started to purchase our plot

This site is a great replacement

I hope to have plenty of input over the coming months

Regards  Gary

If it is in the Approved Full PP that the windows you want are acceptable, with no relevant conditions, then it will be too late for them to impose anything.

If the Heritage People have only made a comment which the Full Approved PP has not taken on board, then it will not be relevant.

Unless there is a gotcha somewhere - eg there may be a condition for approval of samples etc.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

11 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Hi Gary, can you clarify who the 'Heritage people' are.

Sorry I should have explained better

We are in a conservation area So one of the conditions was that the new build must be rendered to fit in with the two properties near by Which isn't a problem.Other than the new build having to be set back five mtrs from the line of the existing two properties  they were the only two points that the planners raised prior to planning permission being granted.But on the day of the initial site visit a lady introduced herself as representing the British Heritage Society and here to make sure that any new build was in keeping with existing properties

The irony is that the while we have being sorting all this out Persimmons have started a site across the road Red brick top to bottom and upvc Georgian  style frames

While Ive no wish to make waves before we get started. I don't want to purchase frames that could be rejected

Thanks for the quick answers   Gary  

Hey Nod,

Are you in one of these areas...

Article 4 Directions
Householders can normally make minor alterations to their houses without requiring planning permission such as changing doors or windows. This is called 'permitted development'. However in some conservation areas we have removed these 'permitted development rights' by making an Article 4 Direction. The conservation areas affected are: 
Avenham
Fishergate Hill
Fulwood
St. Ignatius

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Hey Nod,

Are you in one of these areas...

Article 4 Directions
Householders can normally make minor alterations to their houses without requiring planning permission such as changing doors or windows. This is called 'permitted development'. However in some conservation areas we have removed these 'permitted development rights' by making an Article 4 Direction. The conservation areas affected are: 
Avenham
Fishergate Hill
Fulwood
St. Ignatius

We are in Fulwood

1 hour ago, nod said:

But what has unnerved me is that there is a couple of paragraphs from the Heritage people

saying that they would prefer windows and facia a certain style and material

I spoke to Heritage and told them I intended using a white wood grained sash type frame

The reiterated there recommendation and stated that they would prefer a hardwood

PAITED WHITE

Where are the paragraphs you refer to? Are they just in English Heritage's submissions during the planning process as a statutory consultee?  If so, they can sit and spin unless the planning permission you received includes such limitations.

I'd stop communicating with English Heritage until you have this sorted out.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jack said:

Where are the paragraphs you refer to? Are they just in English Heritage's submissions during the planning process as a statutory consultee?  If so, they can sit and spin unless the planning permission you received includes such limitations.

I'd stop communicating with English Heritage until you have this sorted out.   

No mention in planning Just a page inserted by English Heritage

Where is this page 'inserted'?  Bottom line is if it's not a condition or specified on the approved plans, then English Heritage cannot force you to do anything.  The flip side of that coin is if you deviate from the approved plans, enforcement action could be taken against you. 

16 minutes ago, nod said:

No mention in planning Just a page inserted by English Heritage

Inserted where though?  If just a comment by them to the planners during the consultation period, then as others have said, it's irrelevant unless the planners have made it a condition of planning.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jack said:

Inserted where though?  If just a comment by them to the planners during the consultation period, then as others have said, it's irrelevant unless the planners have made it a condition of planning.  

Yes it is a page inserted at the time of planning approval. The only thing that planners have asked for is details of render type and roof tile description ie grey riven edge.

This came to light when I rang the planners regarding another issue and there was no one available so I was put through to the English Heritage who were listed as visited the site.

But for that I wouldn't have noticed this one page.

Edited by jack
Multiple quotes tidied up

Ok just to clarify you would need to have on the decision notice a paragraph detailing the condition such as :

(X) to preserve the character of the area, all windows should be (...) in accordance with English Heritage document (...) etc etc

Have you got a link to the decision notice ..? 

13 hours ago, nod said:

... so I was put through to the English Heritage who were listed as visited the site.

When you say "put through to", do you mean they transferred you or suggested you call them?  

I'm finding this whole sequence of events a little puzzling if I'm honest.  As Peter says, a link to the decision notice (or a redacted version of it if you're shy - let us know if you need a hand with that) would be very useful.