Temporary security / safety site fencing

Randomiser

We are close to starting our build.  When I drive around the area and see all the developments being worked on by house builders they all seem to have temporary fencing erected around the sites for what I presume are security reasons, though also may be to keep people out of the site so there are no accidents. I am now thinking it may be a good idea for us to do something similar. As these fences are along the frontage of the sites and are usually made of 2.4m boards on there side, if they were permanent they would no doubt need planning permission. Does anyone know if because they are temporary and can be seen as a safety measure there is some limited exemption during the build phase? Or do the developers tend to include this as part of their planning applications?

Thanks in advance,

Randomiser.

You best using the Heras type mesh fencing 

It’s very Quik and easy to erect And easy to move on a daily basis for delivery’s and such 

Security is one reason 

But the main reason is H&S a physical barrier to stop anyone wandering on 

You really need to enclose the entire site If there’s not a fence in place 

28 minutes ago, Randomiser said:

[...]

Does anyone know if because they are temporary and can be seen as a safety measure there is some limited exemption during the build phase? Or do the developers tend to include this as part of their planning applications?

[...].

Limited exemption to what?

Dont think about it, just do it. Box ticked, next job......

28 minutes ago, Randomiser said:

When I drive around the area and see all the developments being worked on by house builders they all seem to have temporary fencing erected around the sites

Best follow local practice moulded from hard won experience of pro's.

It is not universal practice in my part of the world. Are you planning to live onsite?

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Limited exemption to what?

Dont think about it, just do it. Box ticked, next job......

I mean a limited exemption to the usual requirement for a boundary fence above 1m at the front of a property.

I am happy to contemplate doing it in contravention of any requirement, but would like to understand what I may be in breach of before doing so.

In answer to another question, we will not be living on site and are about 40 minutes away, but will be going over most days.  As we will not be near by our concern is really the evenings when nobody will be on site.

If someone climbs over your fence 

and falls down a hole You are liable 

You must have liability insurance that covers you 

If the insurance company seems that you have not taken adiquate precorsion Ie a low fence 

They won’t pay out and you could be procecuted 

The high fencing that you see around all building sites Are compulsory 

Buildzone Protec etc will all do a basic liability insurance that will give you piece at mind 

Mot cheap But the first thing on your list before breaking ground

Then a big fence ?

2 hours ago, Randomiser said:

I mean a limited exemption to the usual requirement for a boundary fence above 1m at the front of a property.

I am happy to contemplate doing it in contravention of any requirement, but would like to understand what I may be in breach of before doing so.

I can’t see how planning can possibly object to a recognised security fence (Heras) being put up for health and safety purposes. You have much more to fear from h&s than planning I suspect. 

58 minutes ago, Randomiser said:

My planning permission is for a house in a prominent sensitive village location within a conversation area. The long term planning restrictions are highly specific e.g. I cannot erect a greenhouse, garden shed and even a pagoda would be pushing my luck. However for the duration of the build there are assumed rights specific to an active building site including workers accommodation and material storage.

Metal site boundary fencing must be present on 80% of UK building sites, so I suggest you go with the flow on this subject and worry about more important stuff.

It should be easy to get hold of. I couldn't be bothered with tracking down and arranging transport to buy my own so hired it from the same people who provide and service my site portaloo.  The fencing is about £5 per week.

So I found an application for retrospective approval for a Heras fence in a conservation area in Kent. The site in question was next to some listed buildings. Despite the objections from the parish council and 6 neighbours the application was approved for a period of 12 months as the need to secure the site was deemed to trump the objections which included:

The parish council considers that the fencing is detrimental to the conservation area and to an adjacent listed building; the fencing had been erected without permission; the application did not state a reason for the installation of the fencing or for the previous clearance of the site; the site plan was incorrect in its illustration of the location of the fencing. The Parish Council further considers that the fence has a seriously adverse effect on the street scene in the Conservation Area and on the setting of listed buildings. We therefore recommend that the application be REFUSED and that the temporary security fence be replaced as soon as possible by a boundary treatment which is in keeping with the Conservation Area.

Objections from neighbours included 

-       Fencing is unsuitable for the area

-       Means of enclosure should be more in keeping with the Conservation Area

-       Applications for the site have been previously refused

-       Blight on the village

-       Unnecessary

-       Want trees and hedging to be re-instated

-       Listed building consent required

-       Conservation Area consent required

-       Breaches of planning, removal of original fence, new fence etc.

This was for a site without planning permission to build houses (permission had already been refused 4 times).  I suspect that if you had PP and were actively building then you may not even need the fence to be approved by planning anyway. They did however have to agree to change the colour of the fence back to its original colour as it was painted pink in places ;)

• 1 year later...