Ours has only visisited us twice 

First time he didn’t get out of his car 

“To muddy”

Second time he came to inspect the roof But didn’t go on the scaffolding  

But if we ever had to sell on the next ten years 

It May have limited our options 

Looking back I wouldn’t of bothered 

There’s plenty of companies that will do one retrospectively 

ive been recommended CRL but they do not seem to be in the top in search engines for best to use and ive heard that there not very good. 

My inspector was pretty rubbish too. Again he hardly got out of his car. For the final sign off he asked for the gas safe certificate for the boiler (there was a photo of the boiler in his report and it was clearly electric), and said that the warranty didn’t cover the PV panels (the panels are clearly not PV, they are evacuated tube solar thermal). 

So it was circa 2.5k for a piece of paper that is worthless to me as far as claiming is concerned but could be useful if I sell within 10 years. Unless you are definitely going to sell within 10 years or need it for a mortgage. 

Mine is with Buildzone which seems to be one of the mainstream ones. 

Plus as we’ve seen with CRL / Alpha these companies can go bust too. 

7 minutes ago, Our_Valleys_build said:

ive been recommended CRL but they do not seem to be in the top in search engines for best to use and ive heard that there not very good. 

Have a read. There was someone on FB complaining that they won’t communicate with him only this morning. 

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

My inspector was pretty rubbish too. Again he hardly got out of his car. For the final sign off he asked for the gas safe certificate for the boiler (there was a photo of the boiler in his report and it was clearly electric), and said that the warranty didn’t cover the PV panels (the panels are clearly not PV, they are evacuated tube solar thermal). 

So it was circa 2.5k for a piece of paper that is worthless to me as far as claiming is concerned but could be useful if I sell within 10 years. Unless you are definitely going to sell within 10 years or need it for a mortgage. 

Yeah seems the current theme with these types of things, ive had a quote from build care, i guess they price by the meter sq of your build then? my timber frame guys are requesting to know who is covering the build plus my mortgage requires it too 

3 minutes ago, Our_Valleys_build said:

Il be avoiding them then :) thanks 

Their warranties were removed from some mortgage lenders’ lists for a while when the issue kicked off but they seem to be back on now. 

1 minute ago, Our_Valleys_build said:

my timber frame guys are requesting to know who is covering the build plus my mortgage requires it too 

I understand the mortgage company but what’s it to do with the timber frame company? 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, newhome said:

Exactly our position 

Same company 

But aproved by all the big lenders should you or we sell

ive just contacted ours 

He said he would wait for local authoritiy to issue completion cert 

and asked me the same as you Gas safe electrical Woodbufner cert 

I guessing his final inspection won’t involve looking at the house 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

I’ve just contacted ours 

He said he would wait for local authoritiy to issue completion cert 

and asked me the same as you Gas safe electrical Woodbufner cert 

I guessing his final inspection won’t involve looking at the house 

Yeah they won’t issue it until you’ve got the completion certificate. My surveyor didn’t bother coming out again when I got mine. Make sure they don’t do a sneaky on you and backdate it. It should be dated from the completion date as they won’t issue it before then. This is a common trick it seems. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newhome said:

I understand the mortgage company but what’s it to do with the timber frame company? 

Im really not sure, I’m about to place the order for timber frame and they emailed me asking who was supplying the cover, il ask them the question why tomorrow.

Edited by Our_Valleys_build

38 minutes ago, Our_Valleys_build said:

Im really not sure, I’m about to place the order for timber frame and they emailed me asking who was supplying the cover, il ask them the question why tomorrow.

You sure they are asking who is providing the warranty cover and not the self build insurance cover? 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Yeah they won’t issue it until you’ve got the completion certificate. My surveyor didn’t bother coming out again when I got mine. Make sure they don’t do a sneaky on you and backdate it. It should be dated from the completion date as they won’t issue it before then. This is a common trick it seems. 

Good advice 

We got quotes in from CRL, Buildzone, Protek and LABC.  CRL were over £7K.  Warranty plus BC.  Went with Protek, the cheapest.  Paid just under £2.5K for warranty plus BC.  Likely to need the warranty for re-mortgage purposes at some stage.  

Our building inspector has visited once so far.  He has done the foundations / groundworks inspection via Facetime.  And his office are pretty diligent about staying in touch.  And I am diligent about sending updates and photos.  Next inspection will be drainage, probably in the Spring.  By then though all the insulation will be done and he won't have seen that.  He requested photos.  We are happy with him so far though as he has been as responsive as we have needed him to be and gets back to us when asked.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, eandg said:

What are the alternatives if you come to sell within ten years without one? Can you get a retrospective warranty? 

Yes you can but they tend to be more expensive. Not sure how much but they position it that they are taking on additional risk aka got you over a barrel. 

Edit - retrospective warranty price here. 

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/5806-found-a-cheap-structural-warranty/?do=findComment&comment=95829

You may may be able to get an architect’s certificate retrospectively but ultimately it depends on what the mortgage lender will allow. 

16 hours ago, newhome said:

And with our provider (which had changed hands after the original underwriter had gone bust) on presentation of the completion cert, they initially refused to insure us (offered to return premium) and then insured us but backdated it to when we moved in two years ago, effectively lopping 2 years off the coverage.

On balance of risk, I decided to stick with the insurance even though I have no plans to sell but will need to keep re-mortgaging and don't want to be tied to the same lender.

Said lender's surveyor only asked IF we had a warranty, never asked to see it...

Now planning a formal complaint to the insurer and then to the ombudsman if that's rejected.

36 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Now planning a formal complaint to the insurer and then to the ombudsman if that's rejected.

I complained about mine to Buildzone as they dated it 12 months before when I had sent the council the form to carry out the completion inspection. It wasn’t complete at that point but the council had asked me to do that to trigger an inspection to help me understand what still needed to be done. They decided to use that date but did alter it to the completion date when I explained the circumstances. With @PeterStarck‘s build they backdated it to the watertight stage so it seems like they make it up as they go along. If the policy isn’t put on risk until they issue the certificate and you certainly couldn’t put a claim in before the policy was issued I’m sure, I don’t understand how they can reduce the term in real terms to whatever they like. 10 year cover means 10 year cover surely, unless there is something in the small print that says something different, if you take too long for example. 

• Like 1

OTOH, the earlier it starts the earlier you can sell saying “yes. it's been complete for warranty purposes for more than 10 years now”. Since the chance of making a successful claim is fairly slim that actual seems beneficial on balance.

• Like 1