Mezzanine, planning

Morning all, since our building is springing up the height is looking slightly larger than I had imagined and I’m thinking of putting in a mezzanine level 

would this be something that I need to discuss with the planners or is it a case of talking just to the building regs guy. 

From outside the house you would never know it will all be internal alterations. 

Any thoughts. 

Internal is not a planning issue, but there will be quite a few issues with building control as it may effectively turn your house into three rather than two storey.

We ended up having to put sprinkles into our mezzanine floor as it is open to the floor below and then fire doors on all rooms off the hall.

If you are putting one in I think dealing with building regs is easier if it is self contained such as having stairs with a door at the bottom, but the rules may differ in England and depending on the area involved.

At the moment the house is designed as single storey, it is in effect a fancy bungalow 

however we have a vaulted ceiling at 5m high

the two bedrooms where going to have ceilings with voids above to house the mvhr and ducting, however as it has grown up it looks like an enormous amount of space that could be used as my wifes craft , sewing area. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

enormous amount of space that could be used as my wifes craft , sewing area. 

Exactly what we are doing with the space.

The space  has been planned to have a large window either side of it - so the area will be ' open '. Just one  thing : the supporting joists need to be carefully planned. In our case the SE specified doubling them up.

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

At the moment the house is designed as single storey, it is in effect a fancy bungalow 

however we have a vaulted ceiling at 5m high

the two bedrooms where going to have ceilings with voids above to house the mvhr and ducting, however as it has grown up it looks like an enormous amount of space that could be used as my wifes craft , sewing area. 

This needs careful thought as to access and use. E.g. IF she is going to be up there when callers arrive it will be a right pain, but given your site you may have a videophone half a mile away like the Men from UNCLE. Also if it is intended for storage etc or slightly heavy kit or use later in life then good access is required suitable for carrying steam powered sewing machines or rails on the stairs for grandma when your wife  is 75.

There might be mileage in finishing off after sign off or calling it a storage platform.

Ferdinand

If there are no external alterations I can't see why this would be a planning issue, but yes you will need to amend the building regs submission.  You may as well make it completely legit as it is a one-off house in a fantastic location and no point in having it compromised should you want to sell later.

I looked into mezzanines briefly because the seller of my property wanted to prevent me from having one (long story). 

Could there be a building regs issue in relation to the minimum ceiling height needed for both the mezzanine space and the residual space beneath it. In my case this was my clinching argument for my seller. I could not feasibly squeeze in a mezzanine while meeting minimum ceiling height requirements, so he was content with my high ceilings.

How high is the space you will be dividing (you mention 5m)? What will be ceiling heights of the new space and the space left beneath?

(I am new to this building lark so could be completely wrong.)

Edited by Dreadnaught

We have a mezanine from the largest bedroom. Barely standing height for even me, a short person, and shown on the BR drawings as a storage platform, i.e. no fixed means of accessing it.  No special precautions asked for.

(ladder and handrails might appear later, after completion)