Delivery weights during a typical build.

Another post got me thinking about the point in my build where no more HGV vehicles need to drive onto the plot and it would be safe to install an underground water drainage soakaway tank formed from plastic storage crates.

Here is my league table of typical material delivery weights per wagon in descending order:

1. Foundation Concrete.
  2. Bricks and blocks.
  3. Driveway hardcore.
  4. Tiles.
  5. Suspended ground floor concrete beams.
  6. Floor screed.
  7. Roof trusses.
  8. Glazed windows.
  9. Plasterboard.
  10. Patio flag stones.
  11. Fitted kitchen.
  12. LPG underground tank.

What have I missed?

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Thanks 1

Forgot this:

Static caravan sale collection at the end of the build.

Not a heavy item and it would be possible to pull one across the site with a tractor to an HGV trailer waiting on a public road. More of an access turning issue, so delay entrance gateposts prior to dispatch.

4 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Delivery/collection of site hut, welfare facilities (site toilet), storage container? I think you're having a garage for some or all of those.

A 20 foot steel storage container is a biggie for the list, just 2.5 tons but needs a crane.

33 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A 20 foot steel storage container is a biggie for the list, just 2.5 tons but needs a crane.

Or a Hiab.

My former neighbour brought in a 40 footer by using 2 Hiabs to position it, one at each end ?.

I think you can also add driveway surfacing materials to your bricks and blocks, depending on level of detail. 

Also sewerage plant.

Roof tiles, again depending if you intend to distinguish with eg porcelain floor tiles.

Insulation if on pallets? Think they are 400-500kg for cellulose and come in a curtain-sider.

Internal doors If on a large pallet. My last were and it was approx 250kg for 6-7.

Mature or semi-mature trees?

Pallets of plaster.

Excellent idea for a thread. The next thing is to position the events in the build process, and the trade off between a HGV and carrying the pallets of smalls by handoff via a transfer at the boundary.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Ok the issue is you are assuming you are the last delivery from your merchant. A fully laden HIAB equipped wagon from a merchant can be upward of 27 tonnes so whilst you may only have a pallet with 6 bags of plaster on it, the next person may have 10 bulk bags and 8 pallets of blocks. 

Assume all merchant deliveries are full load worst case and you won’t get any surprises. 

The other consideration is that if your attenuation is under the drive, you need heavy vehicle cubes - move it under the grass or lawn and they drop to standard or lightweight cubes as a significant cost saving. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The other consideration is that if your attenuation is under the drive, you need heavy vehicle cubes - move it under the grass or lawn and they drop to standard or lightweight cubes as a significant cost saving. 

Indeed, it's why I have Aquacell Core blue crates under my drive, rated at 56 tonnes/m², which is "just" about OK for the axle loading of some of the trucks that have been up there.

The point about being the first load off is a good one.  More than one of our deliveries was from a HIAB truck that was well-loaded with other stuff.  I remember getting a delivery of roof battens that were just tied on top of a HIAB truck that had the bed completely filled with pallets of blocks, for example.

Are you saying you are going to build a house and that’s it, I’m done

you won’t ever get another delivery, what a silly way to look at something 

design it to take the maximum load you will ever encounter, then you won’t have a problem 

as @JSHarris said a design load of  56 tonnes and you should be covered 

i have just just had a load of polystyrene delivered direct from Canada 

total weight about 3 tonnes, but it turned up in a 40 foot container on the back of an artic, total weight probably in excess of 20 tonne

design it to the max and then everything under will be ok. 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are you saying you are going to build a house and that’s it, I’m done

you won’t ever get another delivery, what a silly way to look at something 

You should send your complaint to the manufacturers of storm crates who see the need to offer a range of different weight bearing ratings. How many domestic drives can support a fully laden 44 ton HGV without risk of damage?

Anyhow it could be useful for a new self builder to have some idea of delivery weights if only to plan ahead for laying down hardcore on a green site or knowing when best to finish the drive capping.

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

I will try to do that but it is a juggling act to maintain a desired gradient and regulation distance to other buildings.