2 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

According to his splurge he has worked everywhere from Buck Palace to Emmerdale via Heathrow Airport and many points in between.  

I had one of them work for me

I told him to keep an eye on his angle

He replied ‘I keep one eye on my work and the other on my wallet’

He didn’t last

• Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 13:31, Hecateh said:

Getting prices for boarding and skimming.  Eye watering prices but I should be getting used to that

Guy that came Saturday said I had to have pink boards for all the ceilings to meet fire regs but I can't find reference to that anywhere - either in my architects notes or building regs.  The only thing in the architects ontes is 30min resistance which AFAICS ordinary plaster board gives.

If you want to send me a drawing I’ll give you a rough idea of what you should need and expect to pay for labour 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had someone out to quote today - seemed like a really nice guy - and probably is BUT when I asked him how long it was going to take he told me 8 to 10 weeks.  What???????????  How come others have said 1 to 2 weeks.  And, apart from the first quote, I've had quotes ranging from 2.5k to 3.6k.  Which in no way would pay 2 people for 10 week and yet he seemed genuinely surprised when I told him others had said 5 to 10 days.  Is it me? 

10 days at 2.5k = 2 people at £125 - which is lowish although probably not equal shares.  If that was 10 week it would £125 a week.  How could it take that long - that's an average of 3 boards a day.  I know there are some awkward bits but there about half that will be just full board onto timber.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Had someone out to quote today - seemed like a really nice guy - and probably is BUT when I asked him how long it was going to take he told me 8 to 10 weeks.  What???????????  

Could you be at cross-purposes? Maybe 8-10 weeks before he can get to you?

There was me thinking you were building a wee house just for you......sounds like an Arab mansion at that many weeks LOL

If its any guide my house is circa 2000sqft not sure how many sqm of plastering it was but it cost about £6500 plus materials and took about 4 weeks.  It cost more than quote and took longer because I used special plasterboard and they got in a right mess with it, were too know it all to read the instructions on how to cut it etc,  The boarding was not great but his skimming was perfect so as a finished job its a good one and Im happy with it.

I had left over plasterboard so decided to board the garage.  Its bigger than a single garage but smaller than a double.  I paid a couple of lads £600 ex materials to board and tape walls and ceiling and they did it all in one long day. Excellent job too they worked fast and well, used to working on big developments so almost price work and it showed in the speed they worked at.

18 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Could you be at cross-purposes? Maybe 8-10 weeks before he can get to you?

Nope, we had discussed when he could do it.

I told him that someone else had said about 10 days and he said "they must be getting a dozen guys in then and that's pushing it."

It's 400sqm, not the Taj Mahal

footprint around 64 sqm floor area around 96 sqm

Edited by Hecateh

12 minutes ago, lizzie said:

There was me thinking you were building a wee house just for you......sounds like an Arab mansion at that many weeks LOL

If its any guide my house is circa 2000sqft not sure how many sqm of plastering it was but it cost about £6500 plus materials and took about 4 weeks.  It cost more than quote and took longer because I used special plasterboard and they got in a right mess with it, were too know it all to read the instructions on how to cut it etc,  The boarding was not great but his skimming was perfect so as a finished job its a good one and Im happy with it.

I had left over plasterboard so decided to board the garage.  Its bigger than a single garage but smaller than a double.  I paid a couple of lads £600 ex materials to board and tape walls and ceiling and they did it all in one long day. Excellent job too they worked fast and well, used to working on big developments so almost piece work and it showed in the speed they worked at.

floor 96 sqm, footprint 64 sqm.  

I had one joker quote me £5200 but others have come in between 2 and half and 3 and a half.  God knows what this one will quote - if he bothers now LOL

And all this is in the deprived area of Barnsley - makes you wonder.

My plumber asked if I could do books - told her yeah ...  £50 an hour.  She actually responded - "need to be a plumber to get that flower".

• Confused 1

In that case, it's not you, it's him. If you haven't had a price yet, he's probably just trying to manage your expectations before trying his luck with an inflated quote.   I've just had a carpenters quote for £1750 for 3 days labour.  Nice work if you can get it...

6 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

In that case, it's not you, it's him. If you haven't had a price yet, he's probably just trying to manage your expectations before trying his luck with an inflated quote.   I've just had a carpenters quote for £1750 for 3 days labour.  Nice work if you can get it...

Who does he think he is? A plumber.......? :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Not even that.  The first guy that quoted £5,200 was doing that I think. 

This guy knew I had other quotes.  I'd told him that they was a wide variation and that I had totally discounted the £5.2.k as being silly.  He seemed genuinely gobsmacked that it could be done in a couple of weeks. Jeez - I think I could do it myself, with help from @Onoff, in 10 weeks. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I could spend 10 weeks just thinking about something!

That's my normal modus operandi - my head is spinning with what I am trying to  'project manage' at the moment lol

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

You'll look back and think "I did that!" and have the confidence to think "I could do that!"

https://www.barnsley.ac.uk/course/introduction-plastering-part-time/

;)

I should have done this last year and then I definitely would have give it ago.

I'm still aiming to be in the property by the end of September lol

28 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I should have done this last year and then I definitely would have give it ago.

I'm still aiming to be in the property by the end of September lol

I think plaster needs a while to dry out before decorating depending on the weather, I will keep everything crossed for you to get in on schedule.

Decorating may have to wait I think.  

Anything that isn't VAT reclaimable is having to wait until this house is sold and paid for

I know I probably won't be in before end of September but without deadlines nothing gets done and things just keep slipping further and further.  

This house isn't sold yetso I do have a bit of slipway but things have slipped too far already - as they do.

• Sad 1

I would be happy to help come and paint if you need a hand with that. Can’t do much else but I should be able to do that. 

Worth looking for paint offers and buying the paint in preparation as that will be vat reclaimable. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, newhome said:

I would be happy to help come and paint if you need a hand with that. Can’t do much else but I should be able to do that. 

Worth looking for paint offers and buying the paint in preparation as that will be vat reclaimable. 

Thanks - that's very kind, I may take you up on that

• Like 1

If you get Super Leytex from Toolstation it’s £31 for 15 litres (white) and goes over new plaster after 4-5 days without a problem. Goes a long way but needs a topcoat on walls as isn’t hard wearing but is fine after 2 coats and unlike other paint it doesn’t need a mist coat or watering down. 

• Like 1

We used the Leyland Contract emulsion for all rooms bar the kitchen / utility where we used Dulux kitchen. Only did 2 coats and it’s been up for years and is still ok. Having said that the Leyland Super Leytex is about the same price per litre so you may as well get that.