Spare Insulation

newhome

There are quite a few rolls of rockwool insulation up in the loft that were unused. Wondered what I should do with them really. I guess the options are a. use them somewhere but where? b.leave them there as they are not in the way after all (I have never actually been in the loft!) or c. get them down and get rid of them. Views? 

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If you've never actually been in the loft then how do you know they're really there?

Shrodinger's cat etc...

:)

Ha ha - call me Sherlock! Cos I passed it all up there from where it was lying in one of the spare rooms :). Simples (although that's a meerkat) ;)

God knows what else is up there though! The MVHR unit is which is a thread for another day ... 

I am beginning to wish you were in the Highlands. I would come and relieve you of them and find a good use for them.

If you really want them gone, put them on freecycle.

I am still in "collecting mode" so far this week I have "recovered" 2 sheets of reinforcing mesh for concrete (didn't you have some of that spare) , and at least a full sheets worth of kingspan offcuts from various skips.

50 minutes ago, newhome said:

The MVHR unit is which is a thread for another day ... 

That'd save me making one! :)

But where's the fun in that?

Edited by Onoff

17 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Sooner rather than later, eh?

You know it  makes sense.....?

Christ, where do I start with that one!l? Short story. Never looked at it, never touched it, probably should have! I’ll start a different thread in the right place ;)

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have "recovered" 2 sheets of reinforcing mesh for concrete (didn't you have some of that spare)

Yes! And the recycler in you will be glad to know that someone at work is going to have it to use for the base for his stables after I made a passing comment about the numpties that drove an hour to collect it in a 4x4. Turns out he was about to buy some. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That'd save me making one! :)

But where's the fun in that?

It’s installed up there!! God alone knows why! Could have gone in the room where the TS is instead of that silly central vac thing! 

14 hours ago, newhome said:

There are quite a few rolls of rockwool insulation up in the loft that were unused. Wondered what I should do with them really. I guess the options are a. use them somewhere but where? b.leave them there as they are not in the way after all (I have never actually been in the loft!) or c. get them down and get rid of them. Views? 

No issue with adding more over the existing stuff - just keep it away from the edges. 

If its 100mm it’s probably 12m long rolls so just put it out over bedrooms etc that you use - assuming you can see the ceiling joists to stand on first ..!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

No issue with adding more over the existing stuff - just keep it away from the edges. 

If its 100mm it’s probably 12m long rolls so just put it out over bedrooms etc that you use - assuming you can see the ceiling joists to stand on first ..!

Thought I had better brave a look in the loft. 

Upside there is a loft ladder and lights up there. Downside, ladders and heights in general terrify me. Made me feel dizzy just looking down from the top. Yes I know that’s pathetic lol. 

Anyway, there are about 30 spare rolls up there. Only a tiny bit of the loft has been boarded over and I can’t see the joists as the existing insulation seems to cover them up. I wouldn’t feel safe walking up there anyway in truth so the rolls are going to have to stay where they are

Apart from the insulation at least there isn’t much else up there. A couple of suitcases, a stack of Pickfords boxes from the move and a few other random boxes so that’s a relief I guess. 

9A4D012A-9F3F-41A4-8D89-7E6DE25E132C.jpeg

777B3FBC-D225-4F44-A385-6D18068E3E46.jpeg

692D37EC-0177-4C0E-AB97-5DB38CA4BA05.jpeg

Someone over ordered.

They won't do any harm left there. You could offer them on freecycle on the basis the collector gets them down from the loft (and if they put their foot through the ceiling pay for the repair)

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Someone over ordered.

They won't do any harm left there. You could offer them on freecycle on the basis the collector gets them down from the loft (and if they put their foot through the ceiling pay for the repair)

Like this you mean? ?

6D14337E-FDAF-46FB-B042-58C61A2C085C.jpeg

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I wonder how much is laid ..?? Can you count the layers ..? I wouldn’t get rid if there is less than. 300mm as another layer would help a lot. 

There seem to be 2 layers near the hatch. There are possibly 3 layers further over, see photo - I think that's 2 layers plus another one but it's hard to check when I can only stand in the tiny area that is boarded over. It's laid at 90 degrees to the layer underneath it seems, so difficult to tell easily and it seems to expand a lot. I'll leave it all alone and then one day that might be a job for someone to come and do. It's bloody horrible stuff! I wore gloves but it probably wasn't the brightest idea to kneel down up there in shorts. Am itching like mad now :S

38D87CC1-9003-46B0-BBEA-BB26FC0146B9.jpeg

Edited by newhome

58 minutes ago, newhome said:

There seem to be 2 layers near the hatch. There are possibly 3 layers further over, see photo - I think that's 2 layers plus another one but it's hard to check when I can only stand in the tiny area that is boarded over. It's laid at 90 degrees to the layer underneath it seems, so difficult to tell easily and it seems to expand a lot. I'll leave it all alone and then one day that might be a job for someone to come and do. It's bloody horrible stuff! I wore gloves but it probably wasn't the brightest idea to kneel down up there in shorts. Am itching like mad now :S

38D87CC1-9003-46B0-BBEA-BB26FC0146B9.jpeg

Usially the bottom layer would be the depth of the joists, say 100mm in an old house, then the next would be At right angles, say 170mm in an old house. That gives 270mm which is approx the recommended optimum.

Self Builders will do what we want.

Shorts LOL. Well at least it wasn’t a bikini.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

On 30/06/2018 at 15:41, Ferdinand said:

Shorts LOL. Well at least it wasn’t a bikini.

:D:D there is zero chance of me wandering round in a bikini, in the loft or otherwise! ? ? ?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue. I've got a good number of rolls bought for a project that never panned out (a house empty since the 1970s which we offered to buy and which at the last minute fell through - 6 years later it's still stood there empty slowly deteriorating. But they did us a favour in the long run as it turned out). I've been wondering about their possible use for sound deadening between floors or even walls (though I know it would slump over time even cut into "batts")?