Slowly edging forwards towards moving in

Looking good. Chosen the kitchen yet, or rather has the missus chosen the kitchen yet? :)

I know you suggested tiling under appliances in the kitchen on another thread. What will you do now that you’ve chosen wood? Use tiles underneath anyway, bare floor or wood? 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The main kitchen / living room downstairs is progressing well. Now plastered and painted.

painted_1.thumb.jpg.66f497b73ac6d63f6c24a553e121a303.jpg

painted_2.thumb.jpg.10fc94c8369b4bc3471d7e26b74f78ce.jpg

painted_3.thumb.jpg.75159738830c398a9267bda47d50ac77.jpg

More on the blog at http://www.willowburn.net/

Look for the entry Main living room / kitchen

Next step under floor heating and Oak flooring.

Then a kitchen and we move in........

Looking good. I was planning to have either solid oak or engineered oak, what will be the layers that will go on top of that OSB? 

25mm by 50mm battens following the joists. Then engineered oak flooring, with the UFH in the gap. The OSB that has been our temporary floor for well over a year remains with the sole job of supporting the UFH pipes. That will be the next job.

Kitchen choosing starts soon.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Looking good. I was planning to have either solid oak or engineered oak

We were told not to have solid oak with UFH so there is engineered oak here. Not sure if that's still the same thinking, but maybe not.

1 minute ago, newhome said:

We were told not to have solid oak with UFH so there is engineered oak here. Not sure if that's still the same thinking, but maybe not.

I think I'm the only one on here that is not having UFH.

Probably will go for engineered Oak as well, but if the budget allows would like to have solid Oak.

7 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Probably will go for engineered Oak as well, but if the budget allows would like to have solid Oak.

Probably find it’s cheaper to go with solid - some good deals on it and it can even be used as the structural floor to save cost. 

• Like 1

We are having engineered Oak as that's all you can have with UFH. At the last house we had solid Maple as the only solid wood anyone would guarantee for UFH and then only in 90mm wide planks.  This time we wanted wider planks so engineered was the only choice.

All the doors and windows are RAL7032 Pebble Grey

23 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I think I'm the only one on here that is not having UFH.

Ah sorry, I just assumed you would be having UFH since 99% of people on this forum seem to. 

52 minutes ago, ProDave said:

All the doors and windows are RAL7032 Pebble Grey

I too like the colour, we wanted “National trust olive green” for ours but made the mistake of choosing the ral number from an iPad, settled on ral 1000 and told the window company who were spraying our windows , when they arrived we were shocked, not what we chose ( we said) oh yes you did ( they said) we have grown to like ral 1000 but beware people, don’t chose colours from a screen ?

Well done dave, we too have just chosen our kitchen, it’s a race to the finish.

Edited by joe90
Add
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, joe90 said:

beware people, don’t chose colours from a screen 

Don’t choose it indoors if it will be used outdoors either. Colours can change dramatically depending on the lighting / natural light. Buy a small pot of paint, paint something with it, and put it in the setting you have in mind for it. Even then you can get it wrong. We chose a colour for the outside of the house. Had it all mixed as a special order and I hated it once it was all painted. Hubby said I would grow to like it (he thought it was ok). Fast forward and it’s all covered up now by a standard Dulux colour. I guess it made a good base coat ;)

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

Then a kitchen and we move in........

@ProDave How do you feel right now Dave?

1. Like a London Marathon runner sprinting up the final 500 yards of the Mall, high on endorphins with Buckingham Palace ahead and the crowds cheering or.
  2. Or a tired solo circumnavigation in the Western Approaches hoping to reach Plymouth but concerned you might get shipwrecked in Ireland if you fall asleep.

DEFINITELY No 2

The thing is, even id we move in by the end of the year, it will NOT be finished by a long way.  There is the snug living room and utility room downstairs not even started.  Small matter of no doors, door liners or skirting boards anywhere.

And when the house is finished, still plenty to do outside.

I think I still have Biscay to cross, on a stormy day.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

DEFINITELY No 2

Oh dear, from my perspective you are in self-build Nirvana. You have a sustainable low cost life style living onsite in a mobile home, a weather tight house and a few loose ends to complete. 

13 hours ago, newhome said:

Worth applying a reality check here as to why that advice is so often given.  Flooring will get a lot hotter from the sun shining on it than it ever will from UFH in a house built with reasonably good insulation and airtightness.  As an example, before we fitted the IR reflective window film I measured a floor temperature of 34 deg C, just from solar heating, but the UFH never, ever gets the floor warmer than 23 deg C, and most of the time runs at not much over 21 deg C.

I think the concern about UFH and flooring stems from using it in older houses with poor insulation, where the UFH might be running at over 30 deg C, something that isn't going to be the case for any new build.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I think the concern about UFH and flooring stems from using it in older houses with poor insulation, where the UFH might be running at over 30 deg C, something that isn't going to be the case for any new build

I guess one of the issues may be that the guarantee may be invalidated if you use any flooring with UFH if the manufacturer’s advice is not to do this. 

• Thanks 1