Sign in to follow this  
mvincentd

Egger Protect has swollen...what now?

I'm not entirely surprised given what winter threw at us and the time it's been vulnerable but my 22mm Egger Protect floor boarding has swollen along the edges, meaning each 600mm width of board  is now effectively dished by about 3-4mm.  It's glued and 5 screws per board (corners and centre) onto the metal web joists (600mm centres).

Removal and replacement might not be so easy based on initial test....good glue colluding with unwilling screws resulting in stripped heads.

IF I could sink screws further in, would it be realistic to take an electric planer to the high spots and reduce them.  If I got within a 2mm tolerance say, would that be good enough to then either lay an engineered wood floor...or perhaps 9mm ply overboard and rubber floor. ?

Just overboarding the Egger with more 22mm floorboard is an unattractive way of solving the problem because i'm fighting for every last mm of headroom!

Can you get the screws out..?? if so, just take them out and plane the edges

If you are completely in the dry, try a floor sander.  What are the floor finishes?

hi 

We have the same problem because of the bad weather, we are going to run the planer over the high spots, mainly the joints 

Thanks for suggestions.

I just spoke with a floor fitter/tiler who favours using a spot of self levelling compound, which seems to make decent sense.