I hate all tradesmen

17 hours ago, pocster said:

‘Tradesman’ who has been doing it for 30 years , seems to sometimes know less than you 

This is the one that drives me mental.

12 hours ago, bassanclan said:

I like to pay tradesmen by the day.

Tried this several times. Still got shit quality.

I used to think the problem was that they didn't care. Then I thought that maybe it's a matter of them lacking skills. In the end, I concluded that a lot of tradespeople literally have no concept of what a quality result in their trade looks like, nor any interest in knowing what that result looks like. Without that, you'll never develop the skills needed to deliver it.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Look at that pelt.

Lol, you have an obsession with pelts and bears. Were you Antigonus in a previous life? ;)

Did you read that article? I’m still falling off the chair laughing :D and trying to recover from being subjected to Simon Cowell’s chest :S

900C5269-1F4C-4B3A-BECA-D8A14772C6AE.jpeg

My ex girlfriend got a local builder in because 'he was the expert on Cornish Units'.

He also owned a pub.

Says it all.

Purely out of scientific interest, are fat builders better or worse than thinner ones?

Now Poldark.  Some of the film crew sometimes come in for supper when they are filming locally, not that I would recognise the Aidan Turner.  I never recognised Ray Davies of the Kinks and he used to come in quite often.

31 minutes ago, jack said:

The only benefit of this is that you can get shot of them any time you like if the quality is suspect without arguing about costs to date. The downside is that you are left with a job half started that no decent tradesman wants to pick up. 

There are some decent guys but sadly they are outnumbered by cowboys, bodgers and the utterly incompetent. 

Edited by newhome

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Purely out of scientific interest, are fat builders better or worse than thinner ones?

The fat ones are not working fast/hard enough ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I’m not sure I’ve seen a fat builder TBH. The more active nature of that sort of job helps with fitness surely? Doesn’t make the poor ones more proficient though sadly! 

55 minutes ago, jack said:

This is the one that drives me mental.

I used to think the problem was that they didn't care. Then I thought that maybe it's a matter of them lacking skills. In the end, I concluded that a lot of tradespeople literally have no concept of what a quality result in their trade looks like, nor any interest in knowing what that result looks like. Without that, you'll never develop the skills needed to deliver it.

Do you know - that’s exactly it

Im sure these guys / clowns think they’ve done a top job . I assume they’ll do a better job than me simply because I’ve not done it before .

Waiting for them to return and ‘finish ‘

Will mention the lack of flashing , but they won’t fix it . Would I want them too anyway ? , no .

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

We had an overweight (big-framed too) guy onsite and he was one of the fastest people we used. Really cracked on.

I mean, he did a shit job, of course, but he did finish things quickly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jack said:

We had an overweight (big-framed too) guy onsite and he was one of the fastest people we used. Really cracked on.

I mean, he did a shit job, of course, but he did finish things quickly.

Good job he didn’t have a desk job then.!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Lol, you have an obsession with pelts and bears. Were you Antigonus in a previous life? ;)

Did you read that article? I’m still falling off the chair laughing :D and trying to recover from being subjected to Simon Cowell’s chest :S

900C5269-1F4C-4B3A-BECA-D8A14772C6AE.jpeg

I like furrys rugs ! 

Antagonus rather than Antigonus, I am afraid.

38 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Mine weren't fat - not because of hard work though - unless leaning on the scaffolding and using their phones continually burns a lot of claories

1 hour ago, jack said:

Another problem is that many of the people they are doing work for don't know what a good job looks like either.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Another problem is that many of the people they are doing work for don't know what a good job looks like either.  

And ain’t that the truth! Certainly in my case! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, newhome said:

And ain’t that the truth! Certainly in my case! 

Yours is excusable - as are many when it is something technical.  We only know when it works or not.

I've had friends recommend their decorator, - when I could see gaps between every join and a ragged edge at the ceiling - that's more what I was referring to.

19 hours ago, pocster said:

Have to be honest once what I saw at a friends amazed me .

They were having a new kitchen fitted and the so called electrician had wired ‘shortest’ route . He literally have wires crossing the wall ; not vertical from sockets . I wet myself laughing when I saw it . Sparky got angry and asked what was so funny . I said how the (expletive deleted) are you meant to fix any units ? . Guess where the wire is ???

He then got a bit pissy . So I told him on my friends behalf ( who seemed unaware of the issue ) to (expletive deleted) off .

I believe he was paid ‘ up to date ‘ . Then the wiring was ripped out and done correctly.

I thought it was just common sense !

Absolutely nothing wrong with chasing horizontally between sockets. Not just the shortest route but saves on cable. Come down (or up) vertical to the first, go horizontal between a line of sockets then back up / down from the last one. Position first & last so it misses the cupboard fixing points. Not sure what the issue is you mean.

Edited by Onoff

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with chasing horizontally between sockets. Not just the shortest route but saves on cable. Come down (or up) vertical to the first, go horizontal between a line of sockets then back up / down from the last one. Position first & last so it misses the cupboard fixing points. Not sure what the issue is you mean.

He had cables crossing cables. Like an X !!!!!!!

Just now, Onoff said:

Same bloke did your roof? :)

Yeah probably!

Funnily by pure chance a builder was nearby on a different job; got him to take a look. He just said "Bodge" , "That'll leak mate; you need flashing"

• Thanks 1