Time Lapse of digout

Been chatting to recoveringacademic on his blog about the digout I did instead of piling and remembered I had some timelapse clips of it.

Though you all might find the damage a 12t excavator can do you your back garden interesting....

Day 1

Edited by Calvinmiddle

From the date stamp on the bottom of the film, I'm guessing the same as me, a Brinno.  

I bought their construction camera, which gives you the camera, waterproof housing, SD card, batteries and an adjustable mounting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brinno-BCC100-Construction-Camera/dp/B00EA1EODE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467896104&sr=8-1&keywords=brinno+bcc100

Yeah spot on Stones.

Love the way you can see the trailers get lower as they fill with soil.  Maybe I should have shown these to Ian when he was looking for a digger - he might have been persuaded to get a larger one :)

You can see the distinct line where the chalky clay starts, will filled the hole back up with 30-50mm stone to just above that line.  What you can't really see is that there is a slope so the each of the hole closest to the camera is about 500 deeper than the back to get us level.

I ended up taking another 30 t or so out in front of the house so there wasn't a step up to the garden

Edited by Calvinmiddle

How deep was that excavation?

I did a similar thing with my 3t machine, ranging from 0.5M to 1M deep, but I kept all the soil on site (abot 200t I estimate) for landscaping. That was just removing the top soil, then I dug the strip foundations.  It just takes longer with a smaller machine.

trenches_1.jpg

Think along the back fence it was about 1m and up to the camera about 1.5m.

Have a few of MBC putting the stone back in and then added the fines - might interest you Ian depending if you can avoid getting piles.  You could do the whole of hte foundations yourself.

Let me know if you want more added, have loads, included the house going up

its the bucket size that amuses me, back when we were doing a big ground work Job we brought 2 diggers with us an 8t and a 13t (i was in the 8t)

it was working well as Joe (in the 13t) did the main pulls while I did the returns and loaded the lorries from the top of the heap.

that was until the PM decided he wanted to get a 1.5t machine in to.......... well supposedly to clear the footings after they had been poured but I'm fairly sure i could have done it quicker with a shovel.

back to the amusing part, The PM was working within my reach while i was digging one of the last returns, he would get say 10-15 of his bucket full in a pile, I would clear that pile in one hit and put it in my pile, then i would put another 8-10 of my buckets in that pile and then Joe would clear that entire pile in one hit and go back to loading lorries from the top of the heap :D I suppose you had to be there but it is amazing to see how much the bigger machines can move when you get them all in a row like that..

Nice time-lapse though, could i suggest some music or commentary?

I'll add some more, but I have no editing skills so there will be time when nothing is happening - just look at the clouds during them.

Also made the error of starting at 8am and finished at 4pm, I had to kick the guys from MBC off a couple of nights at 6:30 as my neighbour was making sure things were done by the book (working hours are 8am-6pm M-F and 8am - 12:30pm Sat with no work on Sun or Bank Holidays - won't be specified on your planning conditions but its some other art of the council - I didn't check it out) so missed a couple of hours work when they were here.

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Nice time-lapse though, could i suggest some music or commentary?

Sorry mate - these weren't going to be for general consumption - so can't be bothered trying to learn a new skill to edit and add sound.

I know it's prob not that hard to do, but to much on my plate at the moment, sorry