Oldest newspaper found??

So I found a sheet of newspaper stuffed into the wall while removing layers of wallpaper - its dated April 1978 when mens pure wool suits could be had for £38.  P1100043.JPGP1100044.JPG

Whats the oldest anyone else has found - I'll send a prize to the best.:D

4 Star was 17p/litre in 1978, but we bought it is gallons then, so 77p/gallon.

Inflation was 10%, (2.5ish% now), bread was 28p (50p for Tesco Toasty now), Milk 11p (22 to 50p now).

Sweeny was on telly, fags were 60p a pack, close to a tenner now.

I was 3 inches taller and still unable to grow a beard (thankfully).  Had a girlfriend called Susan, and a motorbike.

Edited by SteamyTea

On 07/07/2016 at 09:14, SteamyTea said:

I was 3 inches taller and still unable to grow a beard (thankfully).  Had a girlfriend called Susan, and a motorbike.

Send us a pic of Susan, love to see the fashion of the day?

This is 1972 wallpaper and me and my sisters sitting on a radiogram...solid teak it was? brown and beige was in vogue

Edited by Tennentslager

We have a copy of the Dec 4th 1978 Daily Star lining a chest of drawers. There is a small article in it about Jim Callaghan threatening the EU over a problem with agricultural subsidies. It says he will stop short of threatening to pull out of the common market.

1 hour ago, Temp said:

We have a copy of the Dec 4th 1978 Daily Star lining a chest of drawers. There is a small article in it about Jim Callaghan threatening the EU over a problem with agricultural subsidies. It says he will stop short of threatening to pull out of the common market.

Seems the Daily Star were spot on in that prediction :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have a look in the loft as there loads of papers up there along with things like moody blues tickets from the early 70s. And credit card statements. Surprised by that to be honest. I thought hedonistic consumer credit was eschewed by anyone born before 1980. :rolleyes:

but the point of my post, Circa what period are these? Mid 70s?

image_9.jpegbb

Edited by daiking

I found 3rd Class rail tickets to Herne Bay under the floor of an old terraced place and the intact packing "egg boxes" for the old brown Bakelite sockets directly above that point. The sparks must have just lifted the floor boards when they channelled out and dumped the rubbish underneath. Also found a bunch of BONES and had CID round!

When I got my first car (a Capri) it was like a dubious treasure trove when I swapped the interior over: Durex wrappers, an earring, loose change and a Dire Straights tape that I've still got!