Greetings Everyone!

Hi all,

What a fantastic forum! Just wanted to say thanks a lot to the original sixteen that started this, I have been interested in self-building for a few years but only found e-build after it had closed down.

As my name suggests I am more of a pipe dreamer than self builder at present but I love looking at plots. I have most of the 'bibles' but have come to realise the building and planning books are just the beginning really and there are quite a number of gaps to fill. Ideally I would like to make it happen in the South Coast area but we all know it isn't  cheap or easy getting that plot!

Anyway I very much look forward to reading through the many topics on here and hopefully making some posts too.

• Like 3

Guest Alphonsox
1 hour ago, DreamingTheBuild said:

At least it's less stressful than the Grand Designs episode I saw last night, budget 230K actual 380K!

That's the only reason it was on Grand Designs, they don't feature sensible homes built to budget ?

And welcome by the way.....

We built our first house in 1992, it had never been a dream we just couldn’t afford what we needed where we wanted to be and my mother in law owned a small farm with greenhouses on it that we had been using, we bought the land from her and managed to secure pp on the basis that we needed somewhere to live to run the nursery, we build a 7 apartment bungalow 168m2 for 40k and sold it 14 years later making a 200k profit, that led to the next one and so on!people think we’re mad roughing it in a caravan for the duration but there’s just something so satisfying about self build!

36 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

sold it 14 years later making a 200k profit, that led to the next one and so on!people think we’re mad roughing it in a caravan for the duration but there’s just something so satisfying about self build!

Worth bearing in mind that over that period house price inflation was 220%.  Did you get the land "free"?

Always set your goals higher than you can achieve . Sometimes you surprise yourself ! . 5 years to get planning , fighting neighbors and council . Cried when I won at the council vote ; and then echoed “Fack You neighbours “ ( they were particularly vindictive) .

Dream ; then achieve the dream !

Edited by Nickfromwales
Sometimes its ok to say Fack
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Not free but bought as just a piece of land without planning and any of the houses we’d looked at buying for around the 40k mark at that time are now still worth less than we sold ours for 

Yes, local price variation is what’s important not a generalised percentage.