It's a long way off but we will need wardrobes in the new place.  I picked up a brochure in Ikea when I was there the other day and quite like the look of some of their stuff, particularly all the internal organising bits which I thought were excellent.  Does any one have any other recommendations for decent wardrobes?

Ikea pax very popular, Ive had in a temp house. Quality par for price. Useful bits but longevity doubtful in my opinion.  No experience of any other ikea wardrobes.

Google ikeahackers for some amazing ideas on all sorts of ikea stuff.

You can buy good quality internal bits on line quite cheaply if you need them, if you can build a warbrobe using a room corner and put an end stud wall in at the other end you can use sliding doors or any sort of doors and get internals to suit. Quite cheap to do and very sturdy if you can fit it that way.  

A girl can never have too many wardrobes!

2 hours ago, vivienz said:

It's a long way off but we will need wardrobes in the new place.  I picked up a brochure in Ikea when I was there the other day and quite like the look of some of their stuff, particularly all the internal organising bits which I thought were excellent.  Does any one have any other recommendations for decent wardrobes?

I’m going to make a start on mine tomorrow 

Im going to build in three and hang Oak Vaneer doors on rails and kit the insides out fro Ikea

• Like 1

On 01/04/2018 at 08:49, PeterStarck said:

@vivienz We've used Elfa in the past.

http://elfa.com/en-gb/storage/select-room/bedroom

We have Elfa and like it very much - that's not to say you can't do better but probably at a higher price. 

These guys have a reasonable discount right now - the email said it was for two weeks. https://www.theholdingcompany.co.uk/elfa/elfa-drawer-system.html

10 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

We have Elfa and like it very much - that's not to say you can't do better but probably at a higher price. 

These guys have a reasonable discount right now - the email said it was for two weeks. https://www.theholdingcompany.co.uk/elfa/elfa-drawer-system.html

+1 for Elfa.  We’ve had the wall mounted shelving and storage baskets for about 20 years now.  Used it in the garage in various houses  - it’s been moved multiple times and has stood up very well.

A very timely thread, thanks!  Just to expand a bit, any thoughts on sliding wardrobe doors? I think I'm going to need made-to- measure, but googling seems to lead to a couple of manufacturers supplying through a number of websites and diy sheds, at prices that seem rather steep for a couple of rails and panels. Any advice on the best value options please?

Worth planning fitted wardrobes far enough in advance that walls can be placed to suit the optimum configuration of the system you intend to fit. We based ours on the IKEA pax so have a 2255mm deep walk-in wardrobe that uses 3 x 750mm wide units on either side, and another wardrobe run in a 2555mm alcove allowing 5 x 500 wide doors on 2 x 1000 and 1 x 500 units.

By the way, don't be put off of using the extra tall pax units just because IKEA say you need so much (100mm from memory) clearance above in order to be able to stand them up after putting them together. We built them in situ without any difficulty so they go pretty much right to the ceiling (which we also planned for).

• Like 1

+1 for Ikea. We bought 18 in total, a mix of single and twin door PAX units - ceiling was just too low to get the extra high version.

Built them and put in pre-built alcove - then got joiner to frame around them with MDF which we painted in room colour - look totally built in.

Also went for the integrated lights, nice touch but remember to put a 13a socket at the head of each wardrobe run (you can daisy chain multiple lighting transformers.

We got the high gloss doors for our room & guest room. For the kids went for the cheapest laminated doors and applied photographic vinyls (made to measure for each door) which gives them a nice wall mural feature. 

I used several tall PAX units, hacked bits off the back to build them into sloping ceilings, tho still not qualifying for vat relief. I have bought slab doors from JLewis for one of them, because I wanted a variation from the rather artificial look of the veneer/foil oak finish. The tall ones are tall, as one might expect, and the extra space is no use for shorties.

I also had in another room a wall of excellent sliding doors from IDS with coloured glass, bottom runners with gentle stoppers on, which slide beautifully and look excellent.

In our two spare bedrooms/studies I have gone for the build an alcove vat reclaimable style. Just need some big capacity storage and it worked in those rooms.  I have used Howdens sliding door kit, very inexpensive and looks much better than I expected so I am pleased with it. First doors on yesterday.

7CECE92F-2296-4B65-AB47-502CFAD7B91E.jpeg

• Like 2

They look great, Lizzie.  Was it just the fittings or the doors as well that came from Howdens?

Edit: just spotted the doors on the Howdens website.

Edited by vivienz
  • Like 1

One of our spare rooms is actually going to be a hobby room but it would be useful to have a bed in it.  I don't want to have a sofa bed as they take up a lot of room and are usually uncomfortable as sofas and beds.  I've been looking at murphy beds, pull down beds as I used to know them, and how people have built Ikea wardrobes around them.  This is one example that I quite like the look of:

IMG_3149.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG