Airtightness advice - cables and pipes

Jimbouk

Looking for the best way to achieve airtightness where pipes and cables go through joists.

I have used Pro Clima cable grommets elsewhere, but these cable and pipes have been installed already. Wondering about cutting a grommets and sliding over or maybe using Tescon Vana tape?

Was planning on puttting some felt pipe insulation in the hole too.

Thoughts?

BB303F06-DE8D-45E4-BEB5-C574F05417FC.jpeg

ED98DCDC-0581-4459-BA35-99B20D0B3E49.jpeg

We penetrated the airtight envelope (for outside sockets and lights) with duct that was siga taped on the inside. When the cables were run, they were backfilled with silicone and taped.

One duct per cable so it was easy to make them airtight.

LE foam and judicious use of airtightness tape looks to be your best bet there.

Is there no airtight expanding foam on the market that actually works? Or is that the ones that claim it aren't airtight enough?

I know Illbruck claim some of theirs is. Would have to check for any detrimental effect on cabling of course.

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Do you know how airtight that is, do they give a figure?

I’m not sure

But I know someone who does air tightness testing

and he says it’s the only one that works

The thing with foam is they degrade with time even if only slightly. Foam may pass an airtight test when newly installed but will struggle after a few years. A lot of foams are not good to have touching cables either.

The best job is as Roundtuit said and some airtight mastic or silicone like Orcon F and try and cover with tape. If you get both sides you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

Newton Stopaq 308 is a never curing mastic designed for waterproofing cable entry for basements etc. I used it to seal between a 110mm foul in a 150mm duct. May do the job here.

Phenomenally sticky stuff..

• 3 weeks later...