Bugger - big chip in glass induction hob

@Conor fair enough but I fear the landlords here are a bit more thorough. Actually I say with full confidence that they're c*nts. They charge you for every hole drilled and to repaint the whole apartment when you move out. Not to mention increase the rent when THEIR property tax rises. That's the benefits of living in Denmark where taxes are 60% of your income and 25% on everything you - people and companies squeeze every penny they can out of every person they can. 

Here's a photo of my issue. The reason it's white is because I put a bit of crazy glue in there as a temp patch to hold the loose glass pieces in place.

IMG_20191015_215944.jpg

Had this on an AEG hob last year and the replacement glass top was £300 and a new unit £480, luckily for me this damage done by a tenant but not a cheap option either way. I am having a Gaggenau hob in my new place and having it inset into the worktop so will see how this works out. I had the engineer out to have a look at the curved glass top that should have been flat, with him he brought a brand new replacement glass top just in case he needed one and I asked him how much would that cost and he said £288 which really surprised me as the hob itself is not cheap.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:27, Triple07 said:

Hiya, just wondering how u got on with this as guess what I just done tonight ?

021FC744-CEFA-4477-A4E2-472FAEA97D70.jpeg

Looks like clear glass with a coating on the underside? Might be difficult to match. I'm thinking put something like grey paper or tinfoil under the glass and fill above with 24 hour clear epoxy? Toothpick to get at any bubbles.

Now I think about it... On youtube I keep getting shown an advert for a UV settable adhesive. One example they give is sticking glass but they also show it being used for "filling" type applications. 

27 minutes ago, Temp said:

Now I think about it... On youtube I keep getting shown an advert for a UV settable adhesive. One example they give is sticking glass but they also show it being used for "filling" type applications. 

I wonder if that's the same stuff they use for invisible chip repairs in car windscreens?  I believe that's a UV curing resin of some sort, probably an acrylic.  May well be the same sort of resin that my 3D printer uses.  That's available as a clear resin, although I've not tried any yet, so don't know how clear it really is.

• 1 year later...

Reading this thread is putting me off buying an induction hob. Are there any steps one can take to reduce the risk of such chips? I know some induction hobs come with a stainless steel frame, but we aren’t keen on that look. Anyone know if the framed ones come in any other finishes, such as black? 

Depending on your worktop, if it's solid you can get the hole perimeter for the hob recessed,  so a item slid sideways doesn't crash into the edge. But if you ever replace the hob in the future you might be stuck with that brand or have to go bigger.

23 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Use lightweight pots and pans.

People still think you need heavy pans "to spread the heat".

This is just nonsense with even a cheap IH like mine.

Definitely, I’ve stopped using my cast iron pans and now got some cheapie frying pans from Amazon, much easier and less cringe when putting them down