Swansea tremor

SteamyTea

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Did anyone feel this 4.4 tremor.  I didn't, but then I was at the pointy end of Cornwall.

Is Clydach an old mining area?

Did animals behave oddly, maybe the gerbil spinning around its wheel around its wheel a bit longer.

Yes, there were mines in many of the caves in the gorge, I've been in most of them at some time or another.  It's like a Swiss cheese, that part of South Wales, with some of the biggest cave systems in Europe.  Add in lead mining, which was initially mainly where Galena naturally outcropped in the caves, and it wouldn't surprise me if that may have contributed to it.  I'll try and dig out my old copy of Caves of South Wales and the geological maps, as I know there are some pretty big fault lines in that area, they show up clearly in some of the caves.

My boys were at home whilst I was in Asda :D

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

@Nickfromwales is out shopping, I believe, so maybe he dropped his shopping bags, what with his dodgy arm and all.............:D

Yup, just when you think its safe to give the last of your hard earned to the supermarket thieves.........Godzilla decides to stamp his feet in my back garden. 

Phone call from the house....."Dad, the whole house just shook, im scared!"....Me..."Dont talk daft boy, we dont get earthquakes"

Turns out they were right and I was wrong!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

My boys were at home whilst I was in Asda :D

Yup, just when you think its safe to give the last of your hard earned to the supermarket thieves.........Godzilla decides to stamp his feet in my back garden. 

Phone call from the house....."Dad, the whole house just shook, im scared!"....Me..."Dont talk daft boy, we dont get earthquakes"

Turns out they were right and I was wrong!!!!! 

Thought it was you stamping your foot after realising @Onoff is dismantling the bathroom

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I've just had a look at the data that's available, and my old caving book and geological maps.  The epicentre was too deep to be mine workings, at around 7,500m down.  The deepest caves in that area are at most around 300m down, and the old lead mines are shallower, mainly just mining out areas where the galena comes up close to the surface and where it outcrops in some of the caves.  There are, as I thought, some pretty large faults in that area.  My guess is that one of those slipped and caused the earthquake. 

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Just down the road from me. Used to live there. 

Less than a mile from my house there's a load of underwater canals which were apparently used for mining that have caused mid-terrace houses to just drop and fall to ruins whilst the ones to the left and right are still up and intact. I doubt if their mortgage companies are too respondent to lending on the equity :/ 

certainly felt it in W-s-M - I was sat in my office chair and was rocked a couple of inches back and fro - saw the padlock on the garden gate swinging and both my boys came rushing downstairs asking what was happening. - My Wife working in the green house 5ft away from me felt nothing. It might be because she was on her feet where as the rest of us were sat down.

Wife quite miffed she had missed it.