Tiling...many questions

Onoff

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

This is where we're heading:

20180813_211815.thumb.jpg.0a32bd281b96b55fcb66df9536f31cc7.jpg

I was thinking pop rivets, maybe two lines and quite well spaced out, in the face of the angle where it sits against the wall. This to provide some clearance and hopefully allow only minimal contact against the wall. 

But is that enough? With a 6mm bed & 8mm tile then that angle wants to be nom 10mm off the wall. So now I'm veering towards rivnuts in the angle and some wind in/out screws to set the distance off the wall. Maybe pan head machine screws?

Other "worry" is how much the floor suckers will compress under the weight...

Watch this space!

On 12/08/2018 at 09:55, Onoff said:

Cleaners...we could with one around here! For a laugh I actually write the date on dusty shelves. It's like a time bomb. There's this slow realisation why she's not talking to me...she's bought some new piece of tat to go on the shelf or it's Spring cleaning time and she's found it! :)

Brilliant !

Good job I was indisposed at the weekend or I would have suggested Dove Grey grout which would have meant an extra line of sample.

Your mistake was not to make an executive decision at the point one was deemed approximately acceptable, and do the bathroom there and then.

6 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

What about this... thinking ahead for the tool loan scheme ?

Why do you need the upstand under the tile? Might it get stuck...or as you mentioned, stick to the tanking. No upstand equals less contact with the wall?

IMG_20180814_074548148.thumb.jpg.afdf9ac85ca04b45e95864cd2e5fbb5e.jpg

I did think of adapting a spirit level but it won't achieve the same accuracy as the laser.

Plan is only the very edge of the angle will support the bottom of the tile. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Your mistake was not to make an executive decision at the point one was deemed approximately acceptable, and do the bathroom there and then.

Nope, he would be paying for making an executive decision for a very long time ?

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

I was thinking pop rivets, maybe two lines and quite well spaced out, in the face of the angle where it sits against the wall. This to provide some clearance and hopefully allow only minimal contact against the wall. 

But is that enough? With a 6mm bed & 8mm tile then that angle wants to be nom 10mm off the wall. So now I'm veering towards rivnuts in the angle and some wind in/out screws to set the distance off the wall. Maybe pan head machine screws?

Other "worry" is how much the floor suckers will compress under the weight...

Watch this space!

How about a piece of PB like I said?

By now I'd have had 3 walls 4 courses up !!!!!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

How about a piece of PB like I said?

By now I'd have had 3 walls 4 courses up !!!!!! 

And with the time saved I could spend quality time with SWMBO! You know talk about how she's feeling, is anything wrong, what she bought shopping, our collective elderly parents etc. 

Thanks for reminding me I need to get some M5 studding! 

• Haha 2

M5 won’t be man enough - it will bow under the weight of the marble tiles the next user is planning to fit with it so you need to use M12 and be a man about it...

And don’t forget the CE Mark on it..!!

(CE - Clive Engineering...)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

M5 won’t be man enough - it will bow under the weight of the marble tiles the next user is planning to fit with it so you need to use M12 and be a man about it...

And don’t forget the CE Mark on it..!!

(CE - Clive Engineering...)

I've M6, 8, 10, 12 & 16 to hand just no M5. 

M5 was decided upon as it was M5 suckers that I found cheapest. I did think it'll be no good for heavier tiles though.

EDIT: & M24! :)

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Before I commit to wall tiling have I got enough membrane on these walls? 

Over the Aqua Panel it is almost transparent yet has had two coats.

You have 2 coats more than most people... and the membrane has now gone off so going over it again would possible cause issues as it is supposed to be re-coated within 24 hours of the last coat.

Leave it and get some tiles on..!

T'station messed up with the M5 studding! :( It's being delivered tomorrow now. Anxious to get on with this I've a new plan. I'm ditching M5 and have a new plan involving CT1 and these:

20180815_144736.thumb.jpg.bbadfc5ab17f0e32568e0b96e8c27d38.jpg

Hopefully get the bones of it lashed together this evening!

Free angle, free nuts & washers!

20180815_180950

A bit of chopping later, you can just see the rivnuts. Kissed it with the wire brush to derust:

20180815_180156

A 1.8m one, a random one a bit shorter and a nom 400mm one. 

And a coat of zinc rich as I couldn't be ar$ed waiting for etch to dry:

20180815_180829

Amazed I got this far without a) A drink and 2) The boredom fairy showing up! :)

Must crack on, off to dig out bolts, more later!