£10 handy inspection camera/borescope for Android

readiescards

Brought one of these from Everbuying (might be cheaper elsewhere not looked)

http://www.everbuying.net/product1166384.html

Proving very useful for inspecting workmanship on site.

Pros:

• cheap (£10 and free shipping (2-3 weeks))
  • works with my Nexus5 Android phone via the related App
  • has built in switchable LED lights
  • good pictures
  • long lead
  • comes with some extra bits and bobs (not yet used)
  • IP67 waterproof

Cons

• the clever built in USB and micro USB adapter is heavy - meaning it slips out of the Nexus socket easily (hence I use a little micro to USB female adapter)
  • each picture has a small watermark saying 'camerafi.com on it
  • 640 x 480 might not be best available - but fine for me
  • on the move you need to hold the usb connection in the phone with one hand (as the weight of 5m cable pulls it out) while directing camera with other hand

FYI no connection with Everbuying or the supplier

looks very handy, one of those things you're glad to have on a shelf when needed!

Just looking on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-6LED-Android-Endoscope-Waterproof-Inspection-Camera-Micro-USB-Video-Camera-DY-/262372344256?var=&hash=item3d169c41c0:m:mJJDt_M-100B3Vuz-HyHAiQ  and these have the control box away from the connector, so might sort the coming out of the socket issue

Edited by Vijay

These have certainly come down in price- a couple of years ago they were £20+

Are they optimised for close up (macro) viewing, or can they produce a decent image of furhter away objects too?

20 hours ago, Vijay said:

looks very handy, one of those things you're glad to have on a shelf when needed!

Just looking on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-6LED-Android-Endoscope-Waterproof-Inspection-Camera-Micro-USB-Video-Camera-DY-/262372344256?var=&hash=item3d169c41c0:m:mJJDt_M-100B3Vuz-HyHAiQ  and these have the control box away from the connector, so might sort the coming out of the socket issue

Yep that looks to over come most the issues I'm experiencing - and cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the thought, but just another thing to charge, have a lead for etc, when I already own a phone -_-. Saw one on the bay for around £60, and another seller selling the same thing for £120. Gave up at that point and I'll just keep my eyes and ears open until a cheap 'I' flavoured one pops up ;)  

until then I'll use my current inspection device.

B|

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2016 at 10:04, Vijay said:

I tried that one, doesn't recognize the camera. They're sending me another one

Hi Vijay, I bought one as well but I can't get any of my Android devices to recognise it and I tried a range of Andoid versions, all on-the-go compatible, and various apps.  I plugged it into my Ubuntu laptop and used lsusb to query it; no probs.  The USB interface is a bog standard Cubeternet webcam USB slave (at least that;'s what it reports, but it is more likely a cheap Chinese clone).   So out of curiosity I fired up VLC on my laptop and connected to it -- it worked first time!  Still got to find a way of connecting it to an Android hand-held though.

Edited by TerryE

• 2 weeks later...

I've used my camera plugged into an old Ubuntu latptop -- which is the only way that I've found to drive it -- and to be quite honest, the results are crap.  The cable is just a plain USB lead so there is no stiffness and only a weak ability to turn / control it.  Once you get into water, then the back  glare from the LEDs makes the picture uninterpretable.   2 out of 10.  I guess that you get what you pay for :(

• 1 year later...

holy thread revival batman...

An endoscope is surprisingly useless when its being pushed along the bottom of a largish bore pipe. The 'horizon' is next to useless.

Does anyone have some hacks/tools for getting the camera is the best position to see the bore of the pipe as it goes down the hole?

2 hours ago, daiking said:

holy thread revival batman...

An endoscope is surprisingly useless when its being pushed along the bottom of a largish bore pipe. The 'horizon' is next to useless.

Does anyone have some hacks/tools for getting the camera is the best position to see the bore of the pipe as it goes down the hole?

Put it inside a small ring or tube cut off the end of a hose pipe? That would keep it away from the edge to an extent.

Edited by Ferdinand

44 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Put it inside a small ring or tube cut off the end of a hose pipe? That would keep it away from the edge to an extent.

I’m looking for less of a bodge. Something to centralise in the bore and on rollers to accommodate any joints/steps.

12 minutes ago, daiking said:

I’m looking for less of a bodge. Something to centralise in the bore and on rollers to accommodate any joints/steps.

How about a plastic "spider"? Could you cut out of flexible plastic and maybe mount the camera on it using a stuffing gland? The spiders "legs" will spring back and forth as required.

As @Onoff says - cut a cross from an ice cream container or similar and drill a hole in the middle to hold the camera. May need another a bit further back to stop it pivoting and a short length of conduit or pipe to keep it all in line.