Lidl SDS Drill - Impulse Buy

Onoff

Well I won't ever be buying any other Parkside power tools irrespective of how good a deal they appear! If you want a refund after a year, so within their much advertised 3 year guarantee period you have to jump through hoops it appears. Took this drill bought in Jan 2018 as the hammer function ceased - selector switch issue I think, back to the store to be told as its over 12 months since purchase I have to go through customer services. The response I got:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the above product.

If you have a faulty product which was purchased within the last 12 months from Lidl, you may return the product together with the original itemised receipt to your local Lidl store to obtain a full refund.

If you require further assistance, please provide as much of the following information as you can:  

· Description of the fault

· Barcode number
· The IAN number (this can usually be found on the base of the product)

· Brand name and model number. These can normally be found on the product or within the instruction manual
· Serial number. This can normally be found on the product.
· Are you in possession of your itemised receipt? If so please provide us with a copy.
· Date of purchase
· The store you bought the item in
· The product cost
· Please note that on some occasions we may need to contact the supplier on your behalf. If we need to do this please confirm if you give your consent to pass your details to our supplier.

* In order to resolve your request, we require your consent to pass your details to our supplier so they can get in touch with you directly. As the manufacturer of the product, they’ll be able to offer you the best advice and support. For Data Protection reasons, we need your consent to do this. Please let us know if you consent with the transfer of your details by using the following text:

"I hereby agree to passing my details to the supplier."

If you do not give consent please advise accordingly.

Please note that your consent is voluntary. You can revoke your consent at any time by sending an email to customer.services@lidl.co.uk quoting your reference number.

Please note, if you have contacted us about more than one type of faulty product, these will be dealt with under separate reference numbers. Please respond to these individually.

Please send these details direct to the address below, quoting your reference number from the subject line or reply directly to this email (without deleting the subject line):

Customer Service Department
Lidl Great Britain Limited
Tailend Farm
Deans Road
Livingston
EH54 8SE

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,
For and on behalf of Lidl Great Britain Limited.

I've written a quick response back saying I'll get all the info together but because the process is so much grief and they don't make the guarantee Ts&Cs clear at time of purchase I'll not be buying any more Parkside power tools and advising others not to.

i can't say I've ever given much thought to extended warranties on cheap tools.  Let's face it, with most stuff if you haven't killed it in the first month it''ll last a year, and it it makes it to the end of a year it's probably going to last damn-near forever...

As I understand consumer regulations, the retailer has responsibility for the statutory guarantee period (probably 12 months, I think) and then the manufacturer/supplier has responsibility for any extended warranty period. 

I suspect that the Lidl store has responsibility for the guarantee for the first 12 months, and this then passes to the supplier/manufacturer for the two years of extended guarantee provision.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

As I understand consumer regulations, the retailer has responsibility for the statutory guarantee period (probably 12 months, I think) and then the manufacturer/supplier has responsibility for any extended warranty period. 

I suspect that the Lidl store has responsibility for the guarantee for the first 12 months, and this then passes to the supplier/manufacturer for the two years of extended guarantee provision.

Tbh I wonder how many people can be bothered invoking the 3 year g'tee when the tools are so cheap to start with. Wondering further if in some small print somewhere, return to supplier/manufacturer will be at my cost.

Assuming I do get my £34.99 back I don't think I'll be spending it at Lidl this time. Though for another fiver...

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=21786

To think I had my first Bosch pistol drill 16 years and the second one another 16!

?

• 6 months later...

Update: Due to a bereavement back in April and knock on / funeral on May I completely forgot about sending this Parkside drill back. After supplying Lidl with the required info (and having to chase) I'd had contact from Kompernass in Germany but never followed up. I wrote this week explaining the circumstances and they emailed a pre paid return label. They only asked for the drill back, not the case or accessories; SDS to normal chuck adapter, SDS drills and chisels, manual, case etc. I packaged it up and dropped of to a UPS drop in.

Wait and see!

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Update: Due to a bereavement back in April and knock on / funeral on May I completely forgot about sending this Parkside drill back. After supplying Lidl with the required info (and having to chase) I'd had contact from Kompernass in Germany but never followed up. I wrote this week explaining the circumstances and they emailed a pre paid return label. They only asked for the drill back, not the case or accessories; SDS to normal chuck adapter, SDS drills and chisels, manual, case etc. I packaged it up and dropped of to a UPS drop in.

Wait and see!

I have done very similar about a month ago for a dodgy flex which I could have fixed. They sent me back a sparkling brand new drill. I was shocked as the one I had sent them evidently was well abused.

48 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

I have done very similar about a month ago for a dodgy flex which I could have fixed. They sent me back a sparkling brand new drill. I was shocked as the one I had sent them evidently was well abused.

This was with Kompernass? Highly efficient once you deal with them compared to Lidl.

• 3 weeks later...

About 3 weeks ago I sent my problem Parkside SDS drill bought from Lidl back to Kompernass for inspection etc all under their pre paid courier service. 

I've now had an email back saying I'm getting a "package" from them by the end of the week. New drill, repaired old one, I've no idea!

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Current version of the Titan https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb653sds-5-9kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/6846h#product_additional_details_container

It even comes with a spare set of brushes.

Mine is 18 years old and an older design, now on it's third set of brushes and working just fine.

I was looking at the slightly heavier one just now:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-6-3kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-9-piece-accessory-kit-230-240v/97533?_requestid=201221

I have that Titan SDS machine and fir a cheap one it’s been brilliant, yes it eats brushes but you get spares with it. I also have a Titan 9” angle grinder and ditto, value fir money in my opinion.

Depends on the level of use and how dependable it needs to be, but your track record of decent brands last 16 years and cheapies lasting a lot less, it makes you wonder whether it's worth the extra inital outlay for something a bit more reputable.

19 minutes ago, dangti6 said:

Depends on the level of use and how dependable it needs to be, but your track record of decent brands last 16 years and cheapies lasting a lot less, it makes you wonder whether it's worth the extra inital outlay for something a bit more reputable.

Oddly I had my Bosch 230V from aged 16 to 32 then another that died 16 years after that!