Oil Filled rads

ToughButterCup

That was going to be my question.

The only reason I can think for wanting oil filled rads is that they run at a lower temperature and can be covered over more safely i.e. wet washing.  Though I would never recommend coving radiators of any sort.

If you want to heat air, heat the air.

• 4 years later...

As a codicil to this, you need to be deeply suspicious of any power claims for these radiators.  I thought that my old rad was big and clunky so I got a couple of these Freestanding Oil-Filled Radiators at a nominal 1½ kW from Screwfix.  My intent was to control them from my HA system using power monitoring smart plugs.  No matter what power setting you choose, they only output roughly half a kilowatt.  Yes you can toggle between the ½, 1 and 1½ heater options but the heater heats the oil and cuts out when the oil is about 50°C. The oil does a convection circulation through ducts in the fins and hence the fins only heat up to about 45°C or so.  If you do the fins have a total surface area of ~1 m² at a  Δt ~ 25°C.  Radiative + convective emission is going to be ~20W/K/m² so the radiator can only output ~½ kW tops.

At the 1 kW setting the heater switches on a 1:1 mark:space ratio; at the 1½ kW setting the heater switches on a 1:2 mark:space ratio.  Hence the effective output is always ½ kW.

My old  big and clunky had external baffling and the (i) the internal fins could run a lot hotter without a surface scald risk, and (ii) this double structure ducts the air through the rad, thus improving specific emission.  Double bonus = about 1¼ kW output.  🙄

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 2

@Temp, yup it's really a design flaw / characteristic mismatch with the market labelling. One would expect a radiator marketed as 1500W is capable of heating at roughly that output.   Reading a range of review on Screwfix and Amazon, they broadly fall into one of extremes:

• (The user only needs ½kW): wonderful little heater *****
  • (The user only needs more than ½kW): useless; doesn't heat the room *

Each only cost me £30 + another £10 for the MQTT-enabled SmartPlug with power monitoring, so I will use both at opposite ends of the landing during the coldest months so I can use my HA system to top-up the upstairs heat using off-peak electricity.