Maps for planning

Accessing the hive brain again ;-)

I need a large scale map to mark on new land boundaries for land registry and purchase contract purposes (mainly to plot a new fence line). The gold solution is to hire someone to survey the site and produce a scaleable data map which will work with online systems. The basic solution is to use existing bad photocopies and sketch in the reference points and measurements by hand. A good midway solution is what I'm looking for. Purchase a map online and use some common software to mark it up. What format should I get the map in, and what software to use?

Thanks

Dee

3 minutes ago, Dee J said:

[...]

I need a large scale map to mark on new land boundaries for land registry and purchase contract purposes (mainly to plot a new fence line

[...]

Its really easy.

Big-ish photocopy of a map showing the relevant features , mark your plot and anything else needed. Send to the Land Registry.

Software? Pen and paper will do fine.

I personally would go for the full topography survey, you may be surprised that there not that dear. 

Why. 

Because you will use it a load more than you think  

you can send it electronically to anybody who needs it

you will need one if you need a flood risk assessment 

you can give it to the surveyor to mark out the location for the new house

you can give it to the Groundworks guys to set out drains 

etc etc

ours cost £600 but our site mapped was aprox 400m by 100m and consisted of aprox 1200plotted points

it would be the first thing I would do if buying another piece of land. 

I'd also go for a topo survey, plus buy the map section from the OS as a base map (your topo surveyor may do this for you - I supplied mine with the OS base map).  The big advantage is that both the OS base map and the topo survey will be in digital format (ideally choose something universal, like .dxf) and so can be read into any CAD software and used to accurately put a whole stack of drawings together.

You can print a .dxf file as a .pdf if you need to.

You can do your own flood risk assessment, it's not hard and the data is available free from the EA if you ask.

I used one master base map, from the OS (not expensive) and then very accurately (to the mm) overlaid things like the topo survey, the ground works layout of drains, walls etc, boundary locations, master reference points for laying out, the house and garage outline plan drawings for planning permission, the site drawings for planning permission, the site location drawing for planning permission, the detailed drainage and services drawing for build regs approval, and even now I'm still using that master plan for positioning the planting of screening and ornamental trees along one boundary and doing the detailed garden design.  I also used it to produce CCTV sight line drawings, to show that our CCTV was (at least originally) only looking at areas within out own boundary.

It's incredibly useful to have one, super accurate (within a few mm) base plan, far more useful than I would have thought initially.  Our topo and boundary survey cost £450, but I provided the surveyor with my licensed copy of the OS base map that I purchased on line from the OS.

Edited by JSHarris

3 hours ago, Dee J said:

Accessing the hive brain again ;-)

I need a large scale map to mark on new land boundaries for land registry and purchase contract purposes (mainly to plot a new fence line). The gold solution is to hire someone to survey the site and produce a scaleable data map which will work with online systems. The basic solution is to use existing bad photocopies and sketch in the reference points and measurements by hand. A good midway solution is what I'm looking for. Purchase a map online and use some common software to mark it up. What format should I get the map in, and what software to use?

Thanks

Dee

Normal Land Registry boundaries are subject to a General Boundary Rule , which means "-ish", which is why they rely on boundary features.

ish is plus or minus a couple of feet.

So carefully drawn identifiable-if-someone-visits boundaries on paper are OK.

Go for the full topo, mine cost £475, including the existing house (demo-rebuild) and the relevant details of the neighbours houses (extremely sefull when we had to prove we wernt overbearing and overshadowing).  This formed the base for all the designs there on.

You need to be clear whether this is for Land Reg or Planning.

The latter needs a full topi of your site to know where to build it. The former just to be able to identify your Land.

Planning will believe your statements about the location of your boundaries, and leave it up to you and your neighbour if you are building in their garden.

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks all. The primary purpose is a mix of land registry and land purchase contract. Boundary is agreed on the ground with the seller. Just needs someone to put it on paper... and if I want to get things moving the someone=me. The main plot is defined by existing boundaries, this is for the access driveway only. Anyway, bought an online pdf map, converted to jpeg and filling in using MS paint. Slow and old-school, but no learning curve.