Internal Walls - Marmox Thermoblocks & Concrete Blocks

Mulberry View

I'm thinking of having a go at building my internal walls, there aren't too many of them and I have time on my side.

We have a hefty spec Block & Beam floor (175mm beams, all blocks in 215 orientation), with sleeper walls under the internal walls that run perpendicular to the beams and double or triple beams where they don't. The floor was designed for an imposed load of 1.5kN/m2

I'm thinking of Marmox Thermoblocks under all the blockwork walls, followed by Medium Dense Concrete blocks up to ceiling height. Doorways built to 905mm.

Am I along the right lines?

@Mulberry View, please ignore this comment if appropriate, because I really have no idea about a lot of this stuff. I was talking with someone the other day and they said a block wall had poor acoustics. How poor is poor and compared to what, I ask myself. 

Anyway, I know you are detailed oriented, so hate to add another parameter to consider, if this is a red herring. I’m sure others will know more. Wall acoustics is such a can of worms. 

10 minutes ago, Nick Laslett said:

@Mulberry View, please ignore this comment if appropriate, because I really have no idea about a lot of this stuff. I was talking with someone the other day and they said a block wall had poor acoustics. How poor is poor and compared to what, I ask myself. 

Anyway, I know you are detailed oriented, so hate to add another parameter to consider, if this is a red herring. I’m sure others will know more. Wall acoustics is such a can of worms. 

That's kinda why I want Medium-dense concrete blocks, they're supposed to be a bit better I think. Luckily we don't have much in the way of internal walling in our ground floor.

GroundFloorPlan.jpg.98c3a1d52fa3194d4a5de65350b68762.jpg

I'm keen and always happy to hear all views. It somewhat terrifying attempting this with our Architect having left the project and a number of incomplete details, it's certainly stringing the timeline out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Rough opening for doors is too tight, you need to leave room to pack the lining and get it squared up. 
just think you can make a wall as soundproof as you want, but as soon as you put a door in it it becomes pointless. 

What would you suggest for door opening sizes? Also, we aren't decided on internal doors at all yet, do you think the opening size will allow later choice of pre-hung, shadow-gap and so on if we decide to go that way?

11 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

build yourself a template for door openings, so you can block up to, and lintel over would be the one thing I took away from watching the brickie on mine (he had a few steel welded ones, but timber would work i'd think!)

Seems like a decent suggestion. I have lots of timber laying around.

45 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

What would you suggest for door opening sizes? Also, we aren't decided on internal doors at all yet, do you think the opening size will allow later choice of pre-hung, shadow-gap and so on if we decide to go that way?

You need to work out what you want. 
as a minimum I would go. 
838mm doors 

30mm lining

2mm hinge gap

5-8mm packing. 

so 838

+    60

rough opening minimum 912mm. 

25 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

as a minimum I would go. 
838mm doors 

30mm lining

2mm hinge gap

5-8mm packing. 

so 838

+    60

That makes sense, I allowed 55mm for a pair of linings as that's what carpenters seem to discuss. I'll shoot for 912mm.

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

not really, aircrete are massively poorer than marmox.

I understand aircrete is about three times poorer, but it is 3 times the height, so by the time you are at the top of your insulation / screed layers they are roughly equivalent.

19 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

roughly equivalent.

That was the way I calculated it all out also.

I used engineered brick on top of thermolite, good for fixing too. Our screed is 100mm concrete, so the thermolite block starts above the screed to insulation interface. So the no thermal bridges. All our internal walls are wood stud walls. We left an air gap either side of the acoustic insulation before the plasterboard. 

Edited by JohnMo

22 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

as a minimum I would go. 
838mm doors 

30mm lining

2mm hinge gap

5-8mm packing. 

so 838

+    60

At work we make the door openings 930mm to leave the Chippy happy. That’s for a 838mm door.

lintels are dropped on at 2100mm above finish floor. Again to give plenty of room on the height. Any gap between lintel and door lining is packed with insulation before been plastered over.

2100mm will also leave the decision of going 2040mm or 1981mm until another day.

As mentioned, knock up some dummy frames. 

• Thanks 1

This has all been very helpful, thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Just a couple of points I need to clear up...

So, Medium-dense Concrete blocks for the ground floor walls are a good choice?

How high to block up the ground floor walls in terms of the Posi floor above?