Decent source of Makita drills

PeterW

40 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@daiking it is £219 but I also got a discount on that too as I had a £10 voucher. 

Got to say the impact driver is superb - not quite sure how my Wiha bit holder will stand up to it but ......

Wait till you hit a knot! Although I've lost more bits than holders.

Currently using longer (so no holder) bits from Wera and Milwaukee, have broken one Wera Pozi3 but the Pozi2 Milwuakees are holding up very well.

A better buy than the pack of ten Silverline bits for £2 that, ahem, someone I know, bought... those didn't last the day :o

I bought a pair of Milwaukee magnetic bit holders for impact drivers, one for the drill and one for the impact driver. They've both lasted for nearly three years with no signs of giving up.

A bought a pack of 20 Erbauer impact driver bits at the same time and I still have half of them left (and not all broke - some have been lost). I was genuinely surprised at how good they were for the price. I once had a go with one of the cheapo ones that came with a crappy old drill and it managed to screw in about 5 tough screws before shredding itself.

Right, I've started doing some research and comparing the screwfix and ffx kits at approx the same price, £220 vs £223

Screwfix is a DHP453 and DTD146 whilst FFX is a DHP482 and DTD152. From here and here, it suggests the ffx deal might be slightly better value. Although probably negligible difference for evening and weekend warriors.

Edited by daiking

• 1 month later...

On the back of this thread & another forum I was looking at cheap batteries on eBay and came across some 3.0Ah NimH batteries for my old Makita 12V drills. I gave up on the drills when the original batteries died and made the jump to 18V Makita L-ion. 

Haven't tried them yet but for £4.99 the pair

20171221_133659.thumb.jpg.ef649773337fa572cd1b38fb66cc68a2.jpg

Can't see they'll be cr@p if they've taken this much care etc over the packing.

Really not sure what I'll do with the working 12V drill. Give to SWMBO for Xmas? :)

Interested to see how these go, as I still have some 14.4 V Makita stuff and the one Chinese battery I bought has worked well, better than the original Makita ones.  I see that Floureon are selling the 14.4V Makita pack for under £11 - just bought the last one, so I hope it is OK..............

I'm amazed!  That Floureon battery pack for my old 14.4 V Makita that I ordered on impulse yesterday afternoon, arrived lunchtime today, less than 24 hours after ordering it.  That has to be some sort of Ebay record.

Sadly I won't be able to give it a good test until after Christmas.

Out of interest I looked up the spec of my old 12V Makita. 10Nm maximum torque! No wonder it feels so gutless up against my modern 18V Li-ion drill. Even more amazed the amount of work the 12V one did back in the day.

• 5 months later...

Screwfix are currently knocking out a Makita 18v LXT brushless Drill and Impact driver set with 2 x 3Ah batts for £230.

What's the catch? anyone able to fathom the unfathomable model numbers?

1 hour ago, daiking said:

Screwfix are currently knocking out a Makita 18v LXT brushless Drill and Impact driver set with 2 x 3Ah batts for £230.

What's the catch? anyone able to fathom the unfathomable model numbers?

1 hour charge is a pita and drill is only 40Nm which is a bit girly imo (no offence ladies, see @newhome's comments about handling big tools ;) ). More grunt on both drill and impact here for a tenner less. The drill in my link is 198mm long  vs 176mm. OK the drill isn't brushless I don't think but I'd go for more Nm on the drill. 22 minute charger too on this one would be the clincher for me:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Makita-Ffx-Dlx2131J-5055945209310-18V-2X3.0Ah-Li-Ion-Lxt-Combi-And-Impact-Twin-Kit

I've had quite a bit of stuff off of FFX.

Edited by Onoff

32 minutes ago, Onoff said:

1 hour charge is a pita and drill is only 40Nm which is a bit girly imo (no offence ladies, see @newhome's comments about handling big tools ;) ). More grunt on both drill and impact here for a tenner less. The drill in my link is 198mm long  vs 176mm. OK the drill isn't brushless I don't think but I'd go for more Nm on the drill. 22 minute charger too on this one would be the clincher for me:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Makita-Ffx-Dlx2131J-5055945209310-18V-2X3.0Ah-Li-Ion-Lxt-Combi-And-Impact-Twin-Kit

I've had quite a bit of stuff off of FFX.

Charge time is a red herring but what of the mythical brushless benefits versus a lower torque rating?

Brush less equals less moving parts so less to go wrong, then less friction so the battery will last longer than a brushed motor drill. But in terms of work done you'll be able to do more with the 62Nm drill. Torque is torque.

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Why is the charge time a red herring?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Charge is less than an hour from dead - mine take about 25-35 mins at most. 

You can buy a quick charger separately if you really need to anyway. 

Cos if the battery is hot, the charger will refuse to charge it until the fan cooling built into the charger ( which blows air through the vented battery ) brings the temp down. That can take 5-10 mins before charging commences. 

Also charge times are only important if you run a battery down soon enough to make it a problem. 

Im flat out on a good day so have a dual charger, a single charger and 7 batteries. 

Dual charger is the mutts nuts and has a USB port for your phone etc. 

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cos if the battery is hot, the charger will refuse to charge it until the fan cooling built into the charger ( which blows air through the vented battery ) brings the temp down. That can take 5-10 mins before charging commences. 

Also charge times are only important if you run a battery down soon enough to make it a problem. 

Im flat out on a good day so have a dual charger, a single charger and 7 batteries. 

Dual charger is the mutts nuts and has a USB port for your phone etc. 

So add 10 minutes cooling to the 22 minute charger and its still just over the 1/2 hour. Or 1hr10m with the cheaper charger from hot.

Give me the faster charger any day!

49 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Why is the charge time a red herring?

Most people will get nowhere near exhausting 2x 3Ah batteries at once within an hour.

I don't know what my 2007 Ryobi 18v cordless is pulling but it was always enough for a less than hobbyist. I'm surprised any of the 10 year old NiCad batteries still work.

Edited by daiking

24 minutes ago, daiking said:

Most people will get nowhere near exhausting 2x 3Ah batteries at once within an hour.

Agreed. I can't imagine what sort of if work you'd have to be doing to get through two of those batteries in an hour.