Cavity boxes in plasterboard

Roundtuit

I've put noggins and metal boxes for switches and sockets where space allows, but where it doesn't, it's plastic cavity boxes .  The question is, to fit before or after plastering? A quick google indicates a split opinion; what's the collective buildhub view please?

Getting dry lining boxes to stay level during plastering is the issue. 

I'd go for fitting the metal boxes everywhere, using LE exp foam to retrospectively fix the awkward ones into place. You then have the benefit of the one adjustable toggle whereas the dry lining boxes have zero wiggle room for levelling.  

• Like 1

I am fitting mine after plastering. I have seen them done before, and there is a tendancy for the plaster edge where it meets the box edge to crack and flake.

I keep saying it, but if using dry lining boxes. ONLY buy APPLEBY they are the only ones that are truly reliable. Some other makes really are dire.

33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am fitting mine after plastering. I have seen them done before, and there is a tendancy for the plaster edge where it meets the box edge to crack and flake.

I keep saying it, but if using dry lining boxes. ONLY buy APPLEBY they are the only ones that are truly reliable. Some other makes really are dire.

Any with adjustable lugs?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Any with adjustable lugs?

Why do you want adjustable? is your wall thickness too great?

I will admit a limitation of the appleby boxes is they only work on pb up to 15mm.  The house I have been wiring lately had pb backed with OSB and no he didn't cut an over sized hole in the OSB first, so had socket box holes 22nn thick.  BG plasterboard back boxes fitted but they are the PITA sort where you just touch the lug with the screw and it retreats out of sight.

Just now, ProDave said:

Why do you want adjustable? is your wall thickness too great?

I will admit a limitation of the appleby boxes is they only work on pb up to 15mm.  The house I have been wiring lately had pb backed with OSB and no he didn't cut an over sized hole in the OSB first, so had socket box holes 22nn thick.  BG plasterboard back boxes fitted but they are the PITA sort where you just touch the lug with the screw and it retreats out of sight.

Does he mean up/down lug for level?

Thanks all. I probably have about a dozen boxes on external walls with a 25 mm cavity. All the internals are metal on noggins.  I guess I could have put noggins in, but in a 25mm cavity they would have had to go above and below, with holes drilled for cables and I just didn't have the time to mess about with them as I'm battling to stay ahead of the boarding.

I like the idea of a squirt of LE foam behind for a solid fix - top tip!